User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm not a tree hugger or animal petter, but I've do believe in socalisim (please note that that doesn't equate to communisim).

I've spent most of my working life championing possitive change for people and helping people making informed decisions.... first as a nurse and there after as a market researcher (ok the latter is mainly to help companies make more money by doing the right thing).

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    LOL, activism....

The only NTs that would bother would be the ones that don't understand economics. Note: things ONLY change due to economics, NOTHING else. Handing out a crafty, colorful pamphlet on campus or at work isn't doing a damned thing.

People who stand on a sidewalk handing out wads of Papyrus aren't changing the world. Sorry, you're not, and there's a reason only feelers do that bullshit: self-sustaining feel good measures. I hope you're a worthy enough NT to see that.... I would offer direct, pragmatic suggestions to you and your cause, but they are examples of eco-terrorism and are considered felonies. Even in that case, you are pitting your own self against an endless horde of people who want jobs that will counter your every effort. More pointlessness.

You want to change things? Invent, write, research.... that's how true NTs are Activist
    I agree, most activism as we know it is annoying and pointless. All organized protests do is block traffic, irritate people (even those that might agree with you), and make people associate you with that time they couldn't get to work b/c of the hoo-hah. The real way to influence people is to have conversations with people you actually know, after you've won their respect. And then you have to respect their right to disagree.

I have never, ever changed my mind on a subject because of a protest or a pamphlet or a mass email. EVER.
    Something Witty

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I'm definitely an activist, but not the kind who would ever hand out a pamphlet on the street, which I find humiliating. But I am very active within my political party, trying to get more people in my party elected in their local areas. Start from the ground up... I definitely agree that change can only come through economics, and economic freedoms only come from politics.

garbage

My drive to take charge usually manifests itself as me taking a lead position on committees and in organizations that deal with community and humanitarian issues, and my cerebral interest in psychology helps with connecting to others and using them effectively to accomplish our goals.

But I really shine when Fi gets thrown on top of that--when I just feel that something must be done for the community.

This in particular definitely also describes me when it comes to humanitarian missions, communal good, and activism.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

I'm not much of an activist. The only time I will is if it gives me community service hours.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I'm an activist insofar as I am concerned with theory surrounding issues of social injustice. Ground level stuff is uninteresting (and ineffective) in my opinion (I wouldn't be caught dead at a soup kitchen or feminist rally). For instance, my last semester of undergrad I wrote a paper explaining why I thought that subjectivity-building art (art that is political, grounded in ideas of agency and identity) was not ultimately going to have a significant positive effect on the socio-political environment.

And while I tend to disagree somewhat with Nozflubber's economic reductionism, on some level political economy does seem to produce the most logical theories to explain (and offer solutions to) social and economic inequality.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I agree, most activism as we know it is annoying and pointless. All organized protests do is block traffic, irritate people (even those that might agree with you), and make people associate you with that time they couldn't get to work b/c of the hoo-hah. The real way to influence people is to have conversations with people you actually know, after you've won their respect. And then you have to respect their right to disagree.

I have never, ever changed my mind on a subject because of a protest or a pamphlet or a mass email. EVER.
    Protests and PR campaigns can be annoying, probably especially to INTP types.

But civil rights activism, feminist activism, environmental activism.... have achieved a lot. Without political movements, nothing changes.

Without activism, we might all still be working as Feudal Age peasants.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Protests and PR campaigns can be annoying, probably especially to INTP types.

But civil rights activism, feminist activism, environmental activism.... have achieved a lot. Without political movements, nothing changes.

Without activism, we might all still be working as Feudal Age peasants.
    Notice how you're only assigning the term "activism" to movements you agree with?
    I don't wanna!

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    Notice how you're only assigning the term "activism" to movements you agree with?
    Movements I'm against deserve the label of "activism" too. It's just that the larger movements that have won political and public support over the years, tend to be liberal/progressive movements that I see as positive.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm not an activist in the true sense of the word at the moment, but I'm about to start studying environmental sustainability at university and I feel quite strongly about the importance of conservation and the wise use of natural resources. I think I will probably end up being involved in activist causes when I come to realise that it is impossible to change the system from within, at a governmental level, because of the inherent greed and ignorance of our society.

On the other hand I think extreme emotional activists do much to give activism a bad name. Like others have said, the type of activism that works is the measured, practical and rational arguments we can give for change.