First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Willfrey View Post
    Did it tell you you were going to eat today, meet somebody you know, make a financial decision and you may or may not have to do something in the future?
    It told me about random things... Such as how I act and my personality. It wasn't a full assessment of my personality but all of what it said was true.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    NeXx
    Socionics
    IeE

Science = hypothesis + observations + statistics => making conclusions about the hypothesis based on observations using statistics.

a bunch of hypotheses and statistics => human, all too human
    "Adversity makes men, and prosperity makes monsters"

MBTI
    NeXx
    Socionics
    IeE

Wanna read some Jung's quotes on Astrology?

Anyara-Astrology: C.G. Jung on Horoscope Interpretation

Enjoy!
    "Adversity makes men, and prosperity makes monsters"

MBTI
    ENTP

Jung’s experiments did suggest a degree of synchronicity at work in astrology, and I recall another study which showed that athletes had a better than chance percentage of a significant positioning of Mars in their natal charts - so I wouldn’t dismiss astrology as pure bunk. On the other hand, it’s far from an exact science and shouldn’t be employed as such. If the mbti and the Enneagram are not exact sciences, then astrology certainly isn’t.

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by mysterio View Post
    Jung’s experiments did suggest a degree of synchronicity at work in astrology, and I recall another study which showed that athletes had a better than chance percentage of a significant positioning of Mars in their natal charts - so I wouldn’t dismiss astrology as pure bunk. On the other hand, it’s far from an exact science and shouldn’t be employed as such. If the mbti and the Enneagram are not exact sciences, then astrology certainly isn’t.
    The experiment you're talking about was done by an astrologer, Gauquelin. The experiment was surrounded with controversy, and later experiments revealed no correlation.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5&2
    Socionics
    ENTJ

While avoiding answering the question...

I once had a detailed star chart drawn somewhere online (I forget where). Based upon my date, time, and location of birth, the analysis accurately described several events I have already experienced. Interestingly, the outcome was based on gender. The one that stuck with me was its assumption that my mother left when I was very young, only true based on my star chart and gender.

But if you want to be surprised, you don't have to get a whole chart done. There is a book that will tell you about your astrological profile based on the week you were born, and it is called The Secret Language of Birthdays. Check it out the next time you're in Borders (just don't pay for it). I only partially identified with the description of the average Gemini, but upon reading about my week, I decided astrology was able to produce some information of merit to me after all. The Secret Language of Relationships is even more eerily accurate: its most outlandish statements ended up being literally true in my friendships.

I don't believe astrology can be explained in a way that will satisfy science, so I'm not going to try.
    If thou hast T already, first get UT.
    Then get O.
    And so at last get OUT.
    --Crowley

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Darjur View Post
    The information you presented isn't something that one could specify to be as "oh shit, she's right."

The group itself was too small. If you want to look serious, get at least 50 participants, not 7.

Give us "the prophecies" you tried them on. If those prophecies go on something like this "You might experience something interesting today", then fuck it.

The testing done should not be completely straightforward. Give some of the people false, made out out of your ass cheeks prophecies that have a similar style to the ones that were true, give them prophecies that don't correlate with their astrological sign. If astrology was true, those prophecies could not correlate with their lives.

Personally? I think it's a load of bullocks and the only real value of it is akin to that of a placebo.
    word, thanks for saving me the time to type this
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by desiree View Post
    I once had a detailed star chart drawn somewhere online (I forget where). Based upon my date, time, and location of birth, the analysis accurately described several events I have already experienced. Interestingly, the outcome was based on gender. The one that stuck with me was its assumption that my mother left when I was very young, only true based on my star chart and gender.
    This is called coincidence. By sheer probability, the vast number of different people and situations in the world will necessitate that some people get extremely accurate predictions from astrology. There will be varying degrees of accuracy because the predictions are assigned randomly, so if we plotted the accuracy of the astrological predictions for each person in the world, it would form a bell curve--extremely accurate for a few, moderately accurate for a few more, moderately inaccurate for some, highly inaccurate for a few and completely inaccurate for a few less, and so on. Most people, by the law of averages, will fall somewhere in the middle. The further from the mean that you deviate in one direction (more or less accurate), the fewer people you're left with.

You happened to fall at the high end of the accuracy curve, but this one instance of personal experience doesn't establish any sort of actual accuracy for astrology, and that's why it can't be explained by science. The only way to grant any real validity for the system is if it were tested on a wide range of people and had a high degree of accuracy and specificity for a majority of them--even given its vaguely written predictions, it still doesn't.

In short, you got lucky. Your results lack conclusive meaning until validated by a significant majority of future trials with the same outcome.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5&2
    Socionics
    ENTJ

Default To use another example...

I think you're right about that. Sometimes when people see their results (even very literal, detailed ones) they do not identify with them.

While it isn't science ("pseudoscience" is the term given it), I think it merits additional experimentation. Astrology is a minor hobby of mine and I amuse myself by trying to guess a person's sign within the first few days of meeting them. I think I'm gradually getting more accurate, but I'm not as good as some of the customers I had when I was a bank teller, who consistently told me I was a Gemini after talking to me for under two minutes.

That having been said, I remain frightened by people who define their lives and relationships by the zodiac.
    If thou hast T already, first get UT.
    Then get O.
    And so at last get OUT.
    --Crowley

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

There are likely some subconscious effects on your behavior from reading about how a Gemini supposedly acts.

Then again, those may just be lucky guesses. I exhibit a number of "Aries" traits (which I am), myself, but I know enough people whose sign descriptions are totally inaccurate that I don't really chalk it up to anything more than chance.

In truth, I would guess that you're not building any accuracy so much as happening upon better luck with your guesses lately. I agree that further experimentation might prove informative. Try polling a few hundred people with the data from several different signs; see which ones they pick for themselves. It would be very interesting, indeed, if you found any correlations.