First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by happy puppy View Post
    Sorry the flaw is not with "science" as in the theoretical abstract idea of it. The flaw is in the minds of NTs who think they fully understand the boundaries and details of the scientific knowledge they possess. They assume to have the answers in front of them or that all data has been submitted and then make the best logical answer they can, forgetting to ask the next question.

this is not a defense of astrology at all, hahaha! but could be applied to most areas that are poorly understood by science.

The take home little NTs: It's okay to say "I don't know. I don't understand."
    le sigh, not this again.

1. Why so typist?
    2. You're assuming many NTs don't already do this.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    ENTJ

They assume to have the answers in front of them or that all data has been submitted and then make the best logical answer they can, forgetting to ask the next question.
    This isn't true of me at all, nor, as far as I can see from most of the NTs here, is it generally true for them. What is described above is pretty much the exact opposite process to what I go through. I *never* assume an answer without proof.

How is this:

x: astrology is real and useful
    y: do you have proof?
    x: no
    y: well then I can't believe in astrology

an example of 'y' assuming answers??!
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I can't remember saying that I know everything at this point.

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by happy puppy View Post
    Sorry the flaw is not with "science" as in the theoretical abstract idea of it. The flaw is in the minds of NTs who think they fully understand the boundaries and details of the scientific knowledge they possess. They assume to have the answers in front of them or that all data has been submitted and then make the best logical answer they can, forgetting to ask the next question.

this is not a defense of astrology at all, hahaha! but could be applied to most areas that are poorly understood by science.

The take home little NTs: It's okay to say "I don't know. I don't understand."
    I don't know, I don't understand. I'm going to consult my birth chart.

But seriously,

There are areas poorly understood. That is why we build multi-billion dollar atom smashers, fire rockets into space, saw people's heads open and poke their brains, etc. We don't simply throw our hands in the air and say it'll never be discovered and harr-umph and pout.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

MBTI
    INTJ

Hi, I'm an Aries, and I like walks in the rain.

Science, or more exactly the scientific method, is the shiznit for open questions amenable to inquiry via making a hypothesis, testing that hypothesis, then interpreting the results. Since "test" is easily and meaningfully definable for physical stuff, the scientific method is the shiznit for open questions about the physical world. There are other kinds of question. For example:

Who is God?
    What is love?
    Why am I here?

Conveniently, you bunch of retards, there is, and always has been, several straightforward and well-understood methods for approaching such questions.

The first method has been very popular: make up answers you like and create a social system. I'll go out on a sturdy limb and say all historical cultures have used this one. But there's another method: enjoy a more liberal social environment and in the meantime do conceptual analysis.

Thus, for example, science is wasting it's time delving into astrology. An analysis of the concepts involved make it clear that astrology is a faith-based system.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    I'm only ribbing about science because it makes NT's eye glow red, it's like their religion. Science is good for testing stuff, but to be honest innovations and science as best kept apart until the innovsator has found something they find works. IMO if you apply Science before creativity it become self fullfiling brick wall.
    religion: ideas are not falsifiable. ie: no amount or lack of evidence could ever convince the followers they are wrong.
    science: if evidence proves them to be wrong, ideas are tossed aside. if all evidence up to this point checks out, proceed as if they are true until new evidence arrives.

now how is it again that science is the close minded one?

science deals with the physical world because thats the world we live in. "to speak of immaterial things, is to speak of nothings"--Thomas Jefferson. There is no arrogance in making such a claim, because to make claims about things that arent part of the natural world, is to make claims about things that are by definition MADE OF NOTHING. (thats not science, thats LOGIC).

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

My astrological assessment was strangely accurate. I was pretty skeptical until I examined the one I had done when I was born, it's very accurate.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INxJ

lol Astrology. Yeah, right.

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    My astrological assessment was strangely accurate. I was pretty skeptical until I examined the one I had done when I was born, it's very accurate.
    Did it tell you you were going to eat today, meet somebody you know, make a financial decision and you may or may not have to do something in the future?
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    le sigh, not this again.

1. Why so typist?
    2. You're assuming many NTs don't already do this.
    Sorry, sorry, sorry!!! I really do love NTs in all flavors! Dont mean to be so judgemental.

It is a "challenge" I see some of them going through through, especially when they are confronted w a fuzzy, ill-defined problem.

I think this can be shaped by profession and forgiveness in that profession for incorrectness.

When in grad school, I was on the main campus surrounded by physicists. They are they first to admist when they dont have a clue as they are so smart there are few insecurity issues.

As you crept towards the medical campus, chemistry, biochemisrty, cell biology, nuerobiology, physiology, and god forbid the fucking MDs, things got more and more cut throat. As an MD it is not acceptable to be incorrect ever. You are heavily penalized and humiliated for it, and this carries over into the real world when they deal w patients. They still have a pretty shiny NT core but have buried it.

You guys do get all bent in a twist though if the problem gets fuzzy, and then can take it out on us poor NFs. We were born fuzzy. Its just what we do.