User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 23

  1. #1
    o edward cullen! Ardea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    729

    Question NTs and Repressed Emotion (ie stress)

    I believe it was this forum that had a story of an INTJ being counseled about repressing emotion, to the point that the INTJ only knew of said emotion when it manifested physically?

    NTs: Do you have this happen to you? Especially with stress?

    As a 7w8, I like the high, but often don't recognize it as exhaustion/stress until there is a physical manifestation such as a breakout, depression, illness, or the like.

    How do you deal/solve this?
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #2
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    I really never got that thing about repressed emotions. Normally it means that you are repressing your emotions until you have a breakdown.

    For this to be true, there are two axioms to be fulfilled: the first one is that you have emotions and the second one is that you repress them.

    I have emotions but I dont repress them. I can work like a machine 24/7 but I never loose track of who I am in the process.

    Cant really give you advice on this one, because I dont understand it.

    If someone really represses emotions, stress is only a catalyst to do so, but the real problems lie elsewhere. Or he just dont want to share his emotions with just everyone.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  3. #3
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    I don't understand that either. But then again, the depth of my emotional range is only "happy" or "frustrated". And I always express them.

  4. #4
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    I believe it was this forum that had a story of an INTJ being counseled about repressing emotion, to the point that the INTJ only knew of said emotion when it manifested physically?

    NTs: Do you have this happen to you? Especially with stress?

    As a 7w8, I like the high, but often don't recognize it as exhaustion/stress until there is a physical manifestation such as a breakout, depression, illness, or the like.

    How do you deal/solve this?
    This definitely happens to me, and I wish I knew the solution. It's like I'm not really aware of emotion until I can't avoid it anymore and have to deal with it through depression or anxiety.
    Something Witty

  5. #5
    deleted
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Maybe some of those high scoring Ts don't have much emotion.

  6. #6
    WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.
    Posts
    1,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemons View Post
    Maybe some of those high scoring Ts don't have much emotion.
    I doubt their test score has much of a relation. The tests just repeat the same four questions over and over in different ways and contexts. For example since I'm confident in my preference and score 100% on T it doesn't mean I'm more T than any other INTP, it just means I understood myself in the context of the questions better.

  7. #7
    Junior Member mibnelius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    13

    Default

    "Repressed" wouldn't be the way I would phrase it. I think "contained until such time as all hell broke loose" would be a bit more specific.

    I know that the two are similar, but repression is subconscious while containment of one's own emotions is a conscious decision. I, personally, am a fairly laid back person, and I don't allow myself to become angry. I still get frustrated or irked, but not angry. Unfortunately, the result of this is the burning plasma of anger barely contained within. I resist emotions like anger in the interest of not unleashing that force.

    Bringing the NT mindset into the equation, one sees that the containment of something as simple as primal rage is an extension of logical thought. There is no value in allowing adrenaline and one's own lower brain to take over when one has control over oneself in a calm state of mind. Therefore, the "repression" of emotions, generally the more basic emotions, could be considered an NT trait.
    Dare to reinvent the wheel.. Let's start with a sphere.

    [Your witty comment here]
    .._.._.......__.
    ./.|/.|..().|[])
    / /|/||.||.|[])
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

  8. #8
    rawr Costrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    2,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mibnelius View Post
    "Repressed" wouldn't be the way I would phrase it. I think "contained until such time as all hell broke loose" would be a bit more specific.

    I know that the two are similar, but repression is subconscious while containment of one's own emotions is a conscious decision. I, personally, am a fairly laid back person, and I don't allow myself to become angry. I still get frustrated or irked, but not angry. Unfortunately, the result of this is the burning plasma of anger barely contained within. I resist emotions like anger in the interest of not unleashing that force.

    Bringing the NT mindset into the equation, one sees that the containment of something as simple as primal rage is an extension of logical thought. There is no value in allowing adrenaline and one's own lower brain to take over when one has control over oneself in a calm state of mind. Therefore, the "repression" of emotions, generally the more basic emotions, could be considered an NT trait.
    I agree. Usually I'm able to get away and release my emotions privately, where no one else is affected, but sometimes it seeps out a little, and even more rarely... I just explode.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    681

    Default

    My repressed/contained emotions and/or psychological state sometimes create physical symptoms, the most severe of which is nausea when trying to eat, or at any time, if it peaks I will vomit profusely, it is often troublesome because I have to eat extremely slowly and end up not getting enough calories and lose weight.

  10. #10
    brat Mitzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    687

    Default

    repress and contain are different?
    when you repress your feelings you do everything in your power to not feel that way anymore
    when you contain your emotions
    you still feel them but you dont express them in any way and hold it inside

    i guess i repress my feelings a lot
    until i dont feel or notice them anymore
    i agree with tallulah

    & idk the solution because i didnt think it was a problem until i saw this :p
    She talks pretty but says mean things

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] NTs and time
    By Natrushka in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-25-2010, 02:56 PM
  2. [NT] NTs and stress...
    By The Ü™ in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 01:16 PM
  3. [NT] Berens' comments on NTs and conflict
    By rivercrow in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 05:05 PM
  4. [NT] NTs and Concentration
    By Varelse in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-23-2007, 01:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO