• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Are there any NTs that enjoy the performing arts?

EmilyEccentric

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Hi everyone. :) I was wondering if there are any other NTs who enjoy performing. I'm an INTJ, and I actually like acting and playing music. Of course, at first impression, you probably wouldn't even know. ;)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I used to like gigging with a rock band in my teens and early twenties, and I've done one or two solo gigs since then. It wasn't really the performing part I liked in the band, it was just the energy and stuff of the music when I got to play with other musicians like that. The solo gig... it was easy money, but I had to forget the audience was there to start with, made me too nervous, but after a while I warmed up and started interacting with them.

I will never ever pick up a guitar or start playing/singing in front of people, unless I've been specifically booked to do it, or unless I can be sure nobody's really noticing. the minute people start requesting things, if I'm just playing to myself informally, or the minute I notice that anyone's watching or listening, I clam up.

This is all basically because I think I suck, regardless of what anyone else says.

Isy

MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hey hey!

Well I AM in a band, and we play, and I do enjoy playing a guitar solo in front of 800 people, the volume of the sound, and the whole performing experience.

The composing part is also fantastic for me, with all the combinations and the inner logic of the music matched with what you want it to sound like.

And we get paid for it, but the truth is that's the less important thing.

I have to admit although that just like substitute, if I notice someone is watching me play or someone asks me to play for them I get quite anxious and feel uncomfortable. It's different if you have an audience that behaves like an audience or if you have to play for someone.

Ardea

o edward cullen!
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Loved it. Then again, look at my type.

Petite Etoile

MBTI Type
InTJ
Enneagram
i think the drama class i took my senior year in high school was one of the most horrifying decisions i ever made lol

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Well, I'm in my high school marching band and jazz band. Most relevant, in jazz band I routinely have to do improv solos. It's not too bad really. I get a bit nervous, but I just play anyway. Plus, even when I think my solo was really crap, there's someone out there who enjoyed it...

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
My first love is theatre. Acting, directing, designing, etc... pretty much the whole thing. I minored in Theatre, and I used to do acting and directing locally when I had more spare time.

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
I suck at acting, just because I feel awkward doing it. I can't even do pen&paper RPGs because of that. I tried once and it was a mess.
So I guess I am not the type for "open entertainment". I am just too introvert.

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I enjoy watching and participating in them as long as I'm not in the spotlight. I played viola for 8 years and I miss the comradery of my sectionals (mostly when I was section leader).

MBTI Type
INTJ
I more enjoy the behind-the-scenes aspects of performing arts. That said, I am going to be taking an improv class soon.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I've done theatre since I was a kid--I always loved and hated acting, b/c I really wanted to do it, but it kind of brought out every insecurity I have. And it made me feel oddly confident. It's weird. I don't think I'm brilliant at it, though--I wish I had a bit more access to my F side.

A few years ago, I took up both singing and playing guitar--and now I'm in a band, and I absolutely love it. I'm learning a lot.

G

garbage

Does freeform club dancing count if I have an audience? Because that's gotta be my absolute favorite "performance" pasttime ;)

I'm also into playing music when I have the opportunity, but I'm best at writing song lyrics and singing rather than taking on the guitar myself.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I was always too terrified/shy to participate in high school. I'd start shaking and crying. Now I think I'd love it. Such is life.

Isy

MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
5w4
It appears to me -and those bunch of NTs who are answering here helps- that there may be some kind of bend, of inclination, by NTs to performing arts, surely not in the same way whether they are more E or I, but I wouldn't say the NT puts any limitation to their artistic predisposition: maybe more in the way they approach their artistic predisposition.
If you know what I mean.

93JC

I appreciate the performances as a spectator, but I'm not inclined to actually do any of it myself. I don't have the patience for music, and am not emotive enough for theatre.

I'd like to try acting in front of a camera, but frankly I wouldn't know how to go about it.

the soulless one

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I like acting and performing though I don't like it when it's just me, usually.