• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Are there any NTs that enjoy the performing arts?

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I really liked drama, aside from the whole... stage fright issue, but it was very hard for me to be overly expressive (well, i called it being overly expressive...)... it was mostly melodrama... not exactly my piece of pie. I probably rehearsed the most out of my class... and definitely wasn't the best. Every now and then, though, it was something I looked forward to.

EDIT: I was a also in radio and tv... actually really liked "field reporting" if i was the one who wrote the story

EmilyEccentric

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
It appears to me -and those bunch of NTs who are answering here helps- that there may be some kind of bend, of inclination, by NTs to performing arts, surely not in the same way whether they are more E or I, but I wouldn't say the NT puts any limitation to their artistic predisposition: maybe more in the way they approach their artistic predisposition.
If you know what I mean.

I agree. I've noticed that NTs do tend to like more artistic things..but I posted the thread just to make sure. :)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENTPs are prone to performances of all kinds because they're ExxP--outwardly focused, comfortable with crowds and very spontaneous.

The INTs, I've noticed, are often way too shy to attempt a performance at anything that isn't a really serious area of interest, and when they do they will take it deadly seriously and tear themselves up over the tiniest mistakes. Frequently they're just too damn self-conscious to bother doing anything performance-like in front of people, but if they muster the motivation and courage, you can expect the highest degree of technical competence in their abilities. (And not a shred of levity...whatever the INT is truly interested in is SERIOUS SHIT!)

The ENTJs will also perform sometimes, and when they do they're really good at whatever it is they're performing. They can have trouble working in groups that require collective creativity (like, say...bands) though, and also they're not as willing to work on something just for the joy of showing off like an ExxP. They want to see some deeper purpose for it, which unfortunately ends up leading them away from the arts often times because at first it really is kind of pointless (at least from a purely rational standpoint)...you have to do it for a long time to become proficient enough for any other serious goals to even be remotely realistic, and that's kind of a turnoff for an NTJ if s/he doesn't REALLY love the arts.

G

garbage

The ENTJs will also perform sometimes, and when they do they're really good at whatever it is they're performing. They can have trouble working in groups that require collective creativity (like, say...bands) though, and also they're not as willing to work on something just for the joy of showing off like an ExxP. They want to see some deeper purpose for it, which unfortunately ends up leading them away from the arts often times because at first it really is kind of pointless (at least from a purely rational standpoint)...you have to do it for a long time to become proficient enough for any other serious goals to even be remotely realistic, and that's kind of a turnoff for an NTJ if s/he doesn't REALLY love the arts.

This is probably pretty accurate. When I was heavy into composing music, I learned just enough guitar to do what I wanted to do. I never really memorized the basic chords, just because I never directly used them.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
I enjoy playing, and I like playing for other people, but I get far too much anxiety when people are listening, I feel as though they are critiquing. It makes me more error prone when people are around, my focus suffers.

SweeneyTodd

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
??
I love all performing arts! Mainly because I love showing off, but I also love them just for their artistic value.
I'd say my favourite is drama. I think I love it so much because I'm a strong N, and acting is like entering an imaginary world.
Being a strong N also makes me struggle a bit more with dance I think, I just think about it too much.

I love music and singing and everything too, although I every time I had lessons in an instrument I could never be bothered to practise and always quit before I got very good. Also I used shortcuts and didn't thoroughly learn music theory, and that let me down.

I play guitar and sing these days, and I'm planning to busk.

In my experience, most of the people who are really good at drama are ExxP. Most dancers are Sensors.
I think most NTs are less attracted to performing arts than other types because they prize their intellect above all else, and living in their heads so much makes it harder for them to perform.

Sensors and Feelers are more attracted to the performing arts because you don't have to be smart.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I really liked drama, aside from the whole... stage fright issue, but it was very hard for me to be overly expressive (well, i called it being overly expressive...)... it was mostly melodrama... not exactly my piece of pie. I probably rehearsed the most out of my class... and definitely wasn't the best. Every now and then, though, it was something I looked forward to.

EDIT: I was a also in radio and tv... actually really liked "field reporting" if i was the one who wrote the story

That made me think of something I noticed about myself--if I write the piece, I'm much looser in performing it. Maybe it's because as a P, I like to keep all my options open instead of making choices, but if I wrote the piece, I had a clear idea of how to make it come across.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
At times I do. Usually I need someone to push me a little to expose myself to it but almost every time I enjoy it. Ne folks are good at pushing me:p

mtaclof

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm not particularly attracted to the performing arts specifically, but I feel that if I was talented in that field, I'd do it. Basically my train of thought is "If I'm good at it, I'll do it."

blanclait

MBTI Type
ENTP
I love acting and being centre of attention. not 24/7 though. i need my time of observation and isolation as well.

it's exciting, its like playing a computer game or something, LIVE!.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is probably pretty accurate. When I was heavy into composing music, I learned just enough guitar to do what I wanted to do. I never really memorized the basic chords, just because I never directly used them.

I teach guitar for a good portion of my living and that's actually a much more SP-typical response. It's common for any type that isn't really that interested in learning the ins and outs of music, though.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I started with singing and ventured into musical theater and was part of an improv group for a short time. One of my closest theater friends is a self-typed ENTJ. I'd say it's definitely not unheard of for NTs.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
No offense but is there a point to this thread?
Are there any?: Obvious yes
Hey all you NTs who like...: Everyone is just posting about themselves and no one is really engaging in conversation about it

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
No offense but is there a point to this thread?
Are there any?: Obvious yes
Hey all you NTs who like...: Everyone is just posting about themselves and no one is really engaging in conversation about it

Dialogue is not the point of the thread. Merely members sharing their own experiences.

If we're going to make the premise a subject to discuss, however, there's nothing that stops NTs from performing art. It has nothing to do with type.

___

In response to the thread: I used to play guitar in a Progressive Metal band. I had many musical projects and performances back in the days for the fun of it.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I used to be in choir for high-school and college. I also did Improv comedy. That was soon fun but I never got to perform on stage. ( my NE function was too wack and none of my classmates could follow my quick train of thought, except for my teacher)

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Yes, but I myself am nit especially creative.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have sung in choirs but mainly play piano and organ, solo or accompanying. I play at church intermittently, which requires a little of both, plus the usual playing of congregational hymns.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
In drama I was always the rigid, mean, judgmental old person... or Jo in Little Women 🙄.
The kermudgen parts were fun.

soulsin

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Does it count if you are a music junkie? :dry::shock::bye: