• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs and alone time.

mtaclof

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I am an ENTP, and lately, I've noticed that I have a very difficult time being completely alone. I just find it grating. I've tried reading, doing crossword puzzles, all kinds of other stuff. I just seem to always get bored, put it down, and find someone to chat with.
It's not damaging my life per se, but it can certainly make particular situations unpleasant. It's also putting a damper on the development of my Ti function, which I feel needs development to be up to snuff with my Ne.
Any other ENTPs struggle with this? Any suggestions?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I am an ENTP, and lately, I've noticed that I have a very difficult time being completely alone. I just find it grating. I've tried reading, doing crossword puzzles, all kinds of other stuff. I just seem to always get bored, put it down, and find someone to chat with.
It's not damaging my life per se, but it can certainly make particular situations unpleasant. It's also putting a damper on the development of my Ti function, which I feel needs development to be up to snuff with my Ne.

Yes. My best advice is give in to it and see what happens. It's actually rather peaceful.

SUPER

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
i dont mind being alone

with others, i get annoyed and irritated at how stupid some people are. especially if i dont have the freedom to move around and free myself of their idiocy. i was stuck on a long car ride with a couple SJ's one time and i wanted to throw them out of the car and drive the rest of the way by myself.

Isy

MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hi there, first post here.

I have a problem with that too, maybe your opposite (mtaclof). It appears to me that I am clearly an INTP -the description of the type matches the best with how I get things done- except for that kind of things: Hell yes I enjoy being alone (when I am able to do something interesting), but I also enjoy, and a lot, the company of others.

Mainly I enjoy them listening to me, so that would cross the line to ENTP mood, but I also enjoy the speeches of others, their jokes, socializing in small groups maybe.

But just as SUPER said, other people's stupidity hits me like a punch in the face: I feel frickin identified with what you said.

How does the alone or non-alone function express herself in NTP types? Aaah, more questions than answers, people!

Thanks.

Qre:us

I love being alone! Equally as much as I love to socialize. It just depends on how much socializing or alone time I've had. I.e., if I've been a hermit for 5 days, I'll crave the social connection, while if I've been out partying with friends or hanging out for the weekend with the boy....I am itching to go home, and be...alone. My solitude is one of my most treasured gifts to myself (this also could be more due to the fact that I'm an only child).

And, like another has said, boring or 'idiotic' people grate on my nerves. The ones where more than half of what you say, you have to explain. The topics of discussion are about X breaking up with Y, let's analyze in detail the actions of W's boyfriends and what he said (and didn't say), the great sale for Z going on, in MINUTE DETAILS the goings-on of what happened at their work...gah!! Hair pulling!! My closest friends, at least I can say, "I need to leave". They ask, 'why?', I tell them, straight up, 'This (meaning the situation)...is annoying me'. And, they know me enough to not take offense. :D

So, what do I do when I crave that solitude? How do I keep myself entertained? There's the obvious rosy palm & her 5 sisters (um...wait, no!). Actually, and this may seem completely weird to some people, but....I debate with myself. :blush:
Have you ever played chess with yourself? It's like that, expect I just randomly do searches on the net for philosophical schools of thought or the latest political, scientific, ethical (pick topics that interest you) issues, that has some dissent within the topic (some disagreement, thus, there doesn't have to be outright controversy), and, pick a side. Develop it. Pick out the points. Or, if you're really feeling for a challenge, pick a sound topic, that has a very clear side (that's defended)...and take the opposition. :devil:

And then...attack *each* point systematically.

And go back and forth.

This helps me:
(a) learn a topic in some depth
(b) develop that Ne+Ti combo (not in isolation, but as a combo) you keep talking about (esp. since you're playing against an opponent that knows your next move, so it's harder to set up sound arguments....which helps you learn)
(c) enjoy spending time with an awsome person - ME!

*btw, you don't have to talk out loud or anything. I usually just open up a Word doc and list each point, and then, just sit quietly, while my brain is really going miles/minute, fleshing out the arguments for each point. And, back and forth. And, sometimes, when the words have this flow, like they are worded perfectly (in my head) and are itching to get out...I write it out. It's quite entertaining to me, cuz I don't even sometimes know what I write/think as I do it (Ne), until it's out there and then... I have time to systematically go back and analyze (Ti).

Otherwise, there's always the route of getting some hobbies, and exploring those.

And, finally, it will depend greatly on your preference for extroversion. I'm around 70%, most likely.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
It depends... I can usually find a way to amuse myself. I don't mind being alone, but having nothing to do makes me antsy. But then again, when I've got nothing to do, I find something to do. Often something wicked. When the phrase "the devil makes work for idle hands" was coined, it was ENTP's I think, they had in mind.

Isy

MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
5w4
I love being alone! Equally as much as I love to socialize. It just depends on how much socializing or alone time I've had. I.e., if I've been a hermit for 5 days, I'll crave the social connection, while if I've been out partying with friends or hanging out for the weekend with the boy....I am itching to go home, and be...alone. My solitude is one of my most treasured gifts to myself (this also could be more due to the fact that I'm an only child).

That makes perfect sense.

And, if you are not able of procrastinating like a pro -but I think every one can from time to time :p-, it's always a good suggestion to learn to play some musical instrument (or more than one). Your Ne and your Ti will both like it ^^.

edel weiss

MBTI Type
ENTP
I like being alone. Especially when I find that most people around me a are shallow and rather stupid, I prefer being alone. My desire to be around people fluctuates a lot.

Ardea

o edward cullen!
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I hate being aware that I'm alone. If I'm unaware that I'm alone because I'm wrapped up in something (some solitary activity like reading, or just general 'down' time), I'm very much okay. But I can only stand that for a few hours - AND THEN NEED SOCIAL INTERACTION BECAUSE I AM A 3 YEAR OLD CHILD!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

/hyper

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
So, what do I do when I crave that solitude? How do I keep myself entertained? There's the obvious rosy palm & her 5 sisters (um...wait, no!). Actually, and this may seem completely weird to some people, but....I debate with myself. :blush:
Have you ever played chess with yourself? It's like that, expect I just randomly do searches on the net for philosophical schools of thought or the latest political, scientific, ethical (pick topics that interest you) issues, that has some dissent within the topic (some disagreement, thus, there doesn't have to be outright controversy), and, pick a side. Develop it. Pick out the points. Or, if you're really feeling for a challenge, pick a sound topic, that has a very clear side (that's defended)...and take the opposition. :devil:

And then...attack *each* point systematically.

Wow, I thought I was the only one... Seriously, this is my favorite pasttime.

Mitzy

brat
MBTI Type
ENTP
id rather be alone sometimes
idk if chatting with ppl online is considered being 'alone' cuz youre still talking to people
but
either way
its all the same to me..

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
ENTP alone time = they've annoyed everyone around them and no one wants to hang out with them.

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
Ouch.

I sort of have similar a problem. I like the idea of an alone time, in which I accomplish a lot of solitary activities - reading, writing, painting - but I have to be in a very specific mood to get there. My habit is to get online and talk to people or read back and forth between forums and the news really quickly :D.

So basically I have no advice, I just understand your predicament. The only thing I can say is to force yourself to stay still when your mind starts to wander - or do multiple solitary things in a short amount of time, so you don't give yourself a chance to get bored.

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm most of the time alone, but I have the MSN messenger on. So I'm doing things on my own while I talk to somebody. I just need to have my mind active.

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP

I'm in a somewhat similar situation, but not completely.

I hate being alone for long periods of time. If it keeps up, I get drained of all energy and just walk around groggy and pissed off. A lot of my personality gets sucked out of me if I don't get out for a while, and won't really come back until I do. I also agree that using Ti is greatly aided by having others around. Other people's input helps stimulate my inner brainstorming process, and I tend to come up with much better ideas in groups.

However, after a long time of socializing or any significant event, I actually need a good solid hour alone to process all the shit that just went down and figure out where I stand. I'm a steadfast extrovert, but I just can't deal with prolonged socialization without small breaks in between to deal with what just happened.

Unfortunately I don't really have any suggestions on how to deal with being along for a while, it just sucks period. I usually use the opportunity to get some work done (for once) or take care of other obligations.

T

ThatGirl

Too much alone time and I want to shoot myself in the elbow just to make something interesting happen, too little alone time and you'll see me mentally shut off in the middle of a crowded room and take it that way. I guess I prefer to just roll with it.

Like right now, I've been stuck in freaken traffic for hours and as it looks will be for hours more. At first it was cool just listening to music and thinking but now here I am posting and driving. Which has nothing to do with this thread except it kind of does because I'm bored and say it does.

But don't listen to me because I question my entpness, I think I'm more !?*) if you know what I mean. So yeah

Typology

MBTI Type
epyT
Enneagram
ENTP alone time = they've annoyed everyone around them and no one wants to hang out with them.

INTP alone time = they've annoyed everyone around them and no one wants to hang out with them.

Like somebody said, I enjoy being alone as long as I don't realize I'm alone.