User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Default ENTPs and alone time.

I am an ENTP, and lately, I've noticed that I have a very difficult time being completely alone. I just find it grating. I've tried reading, doing crossword puzzles, all kinds of other stuff. I just seem to always get bored, put it down, and find someone to chat with.
    It's not damaging my life per se, but it can certainly make particular situations unpleasant. It's also putting a damper on the development of my Ti function, which I feel needs development to be up to snuff with my Ne.
    Any other ENTPs struggle with this? Any suggestions?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by mtaclof View Post
    I am an ENTP, and lately, I've noticed that I have a very difficult time being completely alone. I just find it grating. I've tried reading, doing crossword puzzles, all kinds of other stuff. I just seem to always get bored, put it down, and find someone to chat with.
    It's not damaging my life per se, but it can certainly make particular situations unpleasant. It's also putting a damper on the development of my Ti function, which I feel needs development to be up to snuff with my Ne.
    Yes. My best advice is give in to it and see what happens. It's actually rather peaceful.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTP

i dont mind being alone

with others, i get annoyed and irritated at how stupid some people are. especially if i dont have the freedom to move around and free myself of their idiocy. i was stuck on a long car ride with a couple SJ's one time and i wanted to throw them out of the car and drive the rest of the way by myself.

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Hi there, first post here.

I have a problem with that too, maybe your opposite (mtaclof). It appears to me that I am clearly an INTP -the description of the type matches the best with how I get things done- except for that kind of things: Hell yes I enjoy being alone (when I am able to do something interesting), but I also enjoy, and a lot, the company of others.

Mainly I enjoy them listening to me, so that would cross the line to ENTP mood, but I also enjoy the speeches of others, their jokes, socializing in small groups maybe.

But just as SUPER said, other people's stupidity hits me like a punch in the face: I feel frickin identified with what you said.

How does the alone or non-alone function express herself in NTP types? Aaah, more questions than answers, people!

Thanks.
    For Sure!

I$¥: xNTP, 5w4, Aries, and so damn sexy you'd scream and cry.

Quote Originally Posted by mtaclof View Post
    I love being alone! Equally as much as I love to socialize. It just depends on how much socializing or alone time I've had. I.e., if I've been a hermit for 5 days, I'll crave the social connection, while if I've been out partying with friends or hanging out for the weekend with the boy....I am itching to go home, and be...alone. My solitude is one of my most treasured gifts to myself (this also could be more due to the fact that I'm an only child).

And, like another has said, boring or 'idiotic' people grate on my nerves. The ones where more than half of what you say, you have to explain. The topics of discussion are about X breaking up with Y, let's analyze in detail the actions of W's boyfriends and what he said (and didn't say), the great sale for Z going on, in MINUTE DETAILS the goings-on of what happened at their work...gah!! Hair pulling!! My closest friends, at least I can say, "I need to leave". They ask, 'why?', I tell them, straight up, 'This (meaning the situation)...is annoying me'. And, they know me enough to not take offense.

So, what do I do when I crave that solitude? How do I keep myself entertained? There's the obvious rosy palm & her 5 sisters (um...wait, no!). Actually, and this may seem completely weird to some people, but....I debate with myself.
    Have you ever played chess with yourself? It's like that, expect I just randomly do searches on the net for philosophical schools of thought or the latest political, scientific, ethical (pick topics that interest you) issues, that has some dissent within the topic (some disagreement, thus, there doesn't have to be outright controversy), and, pick a side. Develop it. Pick out the points. Or, if you're really feeling for a challenge, pick a sound topic, that has a very clear side (that's defended)...and take the opposition.

And then...attack *each* point systematically.

And go back and forth.

This helps me:
    (a) learn a topic in some depth
    (b) develop that Ne+Ti combo (not in isolation, but as a combo) you keep talking about (esp. since you're playing against an opponent that knows your next move, so it's harder to set up sound arguments....which helps you learn)
    (c) enjoy spending time with an awsome person - ME!

*btw, you don't have to talk out loud or anything. I usually just open up a Word doc and list each point, and then, just sit quietly, while my brain is really going miles/minute, fleshing out the arguments for each point. And, back and forth. And, sometimes, when the words have this flow, like they are worded perfectly (in my head) and are itching to get out...I write it out. It's quite entertaining to me, cuz I don't even sometimes know what I write/think as I do it (Ne), until it's out there and then... I have time to systematically go back and analyze (Ti).

Otherwise, there's always the route of getting some hobbies, and exploring those.

And, finally, it will depend greatly on your preference for extroversion. I'm around 70%, most likely.

MBTI
    ENTP

It depends... I can usually find a way to amuse myself. I don't mind being alone, but having nothing to do makes me antsy. But then again, when I've got nothing to do, I find something to do. Often something wicked. When the phrase "the devil makes work for idle hands" was coined, it was ENTP's I think, they had in mind.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    I love being alone! Equally as much as I love to socialize. It just depends on how much socializing or alone time I've had. I.e., if I've been a hermit for 5 days, I'll crave the social connection, while if I've been out partying with friends or hanging out for the weekend with the boy....I am itching to go home, and be...alone. My solitude is one of my most treasured gifts to myself (this also could be more due to the fact that I'm an only child).
    That makes perfect sense.

And, if you are not able of procrastinating like a pro -but I think every one can from time to time :p-, it's always a good suggestion to learn to play some musical instrument (or more than one). Your Ne and your Ti will both like it ^^.
    For Sure!

I$¥: xNTP, 5w4, Aries, and so damn sexy you'd scream and cry.

MBTI
    ENTP

I like being alone. Especially when I find that most people around me a are shallow and rather stupid, I prefer being alone. My desire to be around people fluctuates a lot.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I hate being aware that I'm alone. If I'm unaware that I'm alone because I'm wrapped up in something (some solitary activity like reading, or just general 'down' time), I'm very much okay. But I can only stand that for a few hours - AND THEN NEED SOCIAL INTERACTION BECAUSE I AM A 3 YEAR OLD CHILD!!!!!!!!

/hyper
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    So, what do I do when I crave that solitude? How do I keep myself entertained? There's the obvious rosy palm & her 5 sisters (um...wait, no!). Actually, and this may seem completely weird to some people, but....I debate with myself.
    Have you ever played chess with yourself? It's like that, expect I just randomly do searches on the net for philosophical schools of thought or the latest political, scientific, ethical (pick topics that interest you) issues, that has some dissent within the topic (some disagreement, thus, there doesn't have to be outright controversy), and, pick a side. Develop it. Pick out the points. Or, if you're really feeling for a challenge, pick a sound topic, that has a very clear side (that's defended)...and take the opposition.

And then...attack *each* point systematically.
    Wow, I thought I was the only one... Seriously, this is my favorite pasttime.