User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 29

  1. #11
    Senior Member blanclait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    305

    Default

    ^
    i thought they were bored, not lonely.

  2. #12
    Senior Member groovejet02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Hello,
    Sorry for the late reply. After posting this, I thought about my problem more thoroughly and have come up with some answers myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post

    Are you female yourself?
    Yes. I think this contributes a lot to my being considered out-of-place -- I suspect much more than INTP men suffer.

    Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    I was gonna say much more but I cleared all information from my buffer drive once I read your sexuality (sorry, PigheadedMalev8.90 expectation limits).
    Why? People are people, gay or straight. I could have benefited from your insights. But ah, too bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Remember one thing, if people tell you that you are smart, clever and intelligent, something is really going wrong
    Ah you see, being smart -- or thinking that I am -- is my best defense mechanism. I threw in that line to make me feel better about myself. You're right -- I shouldn't fall for their praise. There's a saying that showering people with praises is a cruel thing to do, because you're preventing them from achieving self-development.

    Quote Originally Posted by Provoker View Post
    First, choose activities (hobbies, fields of study, careers, etc) that allow for diversity within the activity. In other words, as an INTP you're more likely to be intellectually satisfied when you're pursuing what you're interested in at a given time, which in effect will maximize your productivity. In contrast, avoid planning too far ahead and/or undertaking specific projects that last years, because by the time you have a few years under your belt your interests will have changed and you won't be as stimulated or productive. If, however, you've opted for an activity with more diversity, then you'll have more wiggle room within the confines of that activity. In effect, this will help keep you stimulated and productive and at the same time it affords you a broad corridor with milestones which, if/when attained, will provide you with a sense of accomplishment.
    Thanks! This is a very good idea. I realize I've been limiting myself to several pursuits (most of them intellectual). I need to experiment more and gauge my full potential. Being 22 years old, and not yet burdened by work or family, I should take advantage of this time of my life

    Quote Originally Posted by Provoker View Post
    Second, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Your lack of motivation likely derives from two sources. One, that on some level you hold the assumption that you are all-knowing. In my own words, it's the Good Will Hunting complex wherein one can never begin to make the first move because all one sees is every negative thing ten steps down the road. Now, although people call you smart, who are people? Let's think about this a little more critically. The average IQ is only 100 (maybe a little higher depending on where you live). Therefore, in relative terms, you're going to come off as smart to Joe the plumber, and you probably are smart to be sure. But let's not lose are heads here and use this as a pretext for omniscience--and by extension the inaction I just mentioned. You, like I, have a three dimensional Euclidean earthbound mind that thinks in terms of syllogisms. And while I'm on this I mine as well make another closely related counterpoint to a claim you made. You criticized people who lack intellectual curiosity and so forth. But this perspective lacks critical evaluation on multiple levels. First, many people out there work long days, have children to provide for, and so forth. For these people, the capitalist system prevents them from having the time to research social issues in detail. Moreover, their main source of information is through media outlets and personal and shared experiences. Furthermore, given this system, not everyone has the luxury to engage material. You mentioned you're in university right? Ya, me too. I'm in my final year with a 4.0 GPA and in the process of applying to law school and grad school. Do I make others feel depraved when they lack insight on an issue? No, because I don't consider everyone an idiot, I consider myself fortunate. This isn't even about intelligence, it's about attitude.
    I disagree with your assessment about people's lack of intellectual curiosity. I'm from Malaysia, a thriving country which is rapidly modernizing. The standard of living increases rapidly. However, the downside to economic growth and modernization is that society is becoming more and more materialistic and shallow. Plus, we have been colonized several times and as a result, we have largely failed to think independently. Furthermore, I should note that being young and middle-class, I mostly associate with other young and middle-class people. It frustrates me to see that most of them spend their cash mostly on booze or excessive shopping trips. Their parents are no better. It's not that they are burdened with responsibilities.

    Whatever it is, I have to acknowledge that I am wrong to patronize people and be all-knowing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Provoker View Post
    You, like I, have a three dimensional Euclidean earthbound mind that thinks in terms of syllogisms
    Could you elaborate more on this please. Do you think that's a weakness of certain people, particularly INTJs and INTPs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Provoker View Post
    The other source for a lack of motivation likely has something to do with you being a risk-averse person, though I would need more information to prove this point to its fullest potential. None the less, you are likely governed by some sort of INTP law that holds that when you're engaging in contemplation and theoretical thinking you are strong and confident, but when you take a course of action you put yourself in a vulnerable position.
    I agree. I'm so locked in my ivory tower that I've become afraid of dealing with things that do not involve theoretical thinking.

    Quote Originally Posted by Provoker View Post
    .. I recommend undergoing the following process: begin setting tiny tangible goals with timelines for achieving these goals. Over time, you can raise the benchmark and/or set tougher goals, but the idea is to habitualize yourself into working toward something and thereby gaining more confidence in taking action.
    Baby steps. Good point. One INTP profile notes that INTPs have very grand, very narcissistic ideas of what they should achieve. This is not healthy. Plus, I have this bad habit of undermining whatever I achieve (with thoughts such as, "It was too easy!"). I need to give myself more credit without falling into the lazy arrogance trap.

    Quote Originally Posted by Provoker View Post
    Also, a strong argument can be made that the ultimate test of your theories is the practical application of them. Therefore, your theories won't reach their fullest potential without action. And for theories that are more abstract and can't be tangibly verified, still, the ultimate test will be whether or not you have the conviction and integrity to support the theory.
    Truly. I'm learning this more and more. This is what I admire so much about INTJs. The good news is that I have an INTJ best friend who's really pushing for her ideals, and I think I could benefit so much from learning from her.

    Quote Originally Posted by blanclait View Post
    ^
    i thought they were bored, not lonely.
    Ah, we can get quite lonely! Not in the fleeting "I feel so down tonight, I need a hug" (we're too busy reading up postmodernism or something to notice we're even lonely, and when we do indeed feel this way, we rely on our few, trusted confidantes) but I suspect an INTP's loneliness is much deeper. With such rich inner lives, and a strong-will to figure out any problem, we may feel alienated by society which don't exactly function the way we do. With no one to validate, or even realize our abstractions and imagination, we fall into dark moods, low self-esteem and self-loathing. I've gone through these periods. They were truly paralyzing.

  3. #13
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by groovejet02 View Post

    Ah, we can get quite lonely! Not in the fleeting "I feel so down tonight, I need a hug" (we're too busy reading up postmodernism or something to notice we're even lonely, and when we do indeed feel this way, we rely on our few, trusted confidantes) but I suspect an INTP's loneliness is much deeper. With such rich inner lives, and a strong-will to figure out any problem, we may feel alienated by society which don't exactly function the way we do. With no one to validate, or even realize our abstractions and imagination, we fall into dark moods, low self-esteem and self-loathing. I've gone through these periods. They were truly paralyzing.
    Perfectly described the loneliness feeling for me. The loneliness is deeper than "I have no one to play with." There are times when you feel like the only person on the planet. When you feel like the only person thinking what you're thinking, the only person seeing what you're seeing. It's a slippery slope. You have a tremendous amount of insight.



  4. #14
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    whining again ?
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  5. #15
    Senior Member groovejet02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    199

    Default

    'Provoker' has pointed out some good advice (be more humble, take more risks, set small tangible goals and proceed from there, apply your ideas in the real world).

    After much thinking, I have come with several other points, which I hope would make INTPs more well-rounded individuals:


    1. Trust your intuition.


    An INTP's greatest asset is her analytical mind. An INTP's greatest weakness is her analytical mind. Apply your tough-mindedness where it matters: figuring out a moral/ethical debate, writing a paper, configuring Linux, etc. But don't expand your energy on things that shouldn't matter (over-worrying about the future, whether or not you can actually accomplish something, running through last week's event a thousand times in your mind). Don't be too much a perfectionist. Realise when your thinking function becomes pathological. You can't control everything.

    Once that an INTP learns to not overthink and seize the day, the world will be her oyster.

    I'm reminded of the famous Martha Graham quote:

    It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open.
    2. Physical reality matters - learn from Sensors.

    Your grand ideas won't come through without you attending to details that would make them work. Yes, details are boring and tedious, but important.

    Also, pay attention to your surrounding. It has more effect on yourself than you give credit for.

    3. You can't figure out everything.

    There is no truth. Or maybe there is. Either way, we're too limited, too small to figure it out completely, if at all. Don't look down on others' path to enlightenment. Don't be too quick to patronize and criticize people because they have other ways in seeing the world. Sometimes INTPs are higly theoretical to the point of losing wisdom. We have booksmarts, not so much real-life experience to back them up.


    4. Invest in relationships.


    Be more mindful of other people's feelings. Keep check on your tendency to be callous and self-absorbed. Appreciate people's feelings even if they are not logical. But also realize you can't be a savior --- sometimes people just want a listening ear. Draw on your strengths such as your loyalty, your capacity for listening and your kind-heartedness. Also, be genuinely appreciative of people.


    ---

    Hmm, that's all I can think of right now.

  6. #16
    Senior Member groovejet02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    whining again ?
    Don't be rude.

  7. #17
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by groovejet02 View Post
    Don't be rude.
    I'm just stating facts instead of sugar coating everything and starting the usual 'we are special' delirium.

    What next.
    How to be more spontaneous explained thanks to a 30 bullet points powerpoint?
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  8. #18
    Senior Member groovejet02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    I'm just stating facts instead of sugar coating everything and starting the usual 'we are special' delirium.

    What next.
    How to be more spontaneous explained thanks to a 30 bullet points powerpoint?
    If I thought we were so special, I wouldn't have come here to ask for honest feedback. If I thought we were so special, I wouldn't have admitted myself the many flaws of the INTP personality (as evidenced in my post on how INTPs can be better).

  9. #19
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Ok I think there's some major misunderstanding there. I wasn't attacking the person but the process, u need somebody to tell things bluntly otherwise we both know this thread would just sink into the 'let's have some theory, draw a few maps and theorize some more until the final end of time and space.
    It's just that, alot of people, especially your everyday intx. Will tend to have a very good understanding of the general concepts without ever actually trying it out.

    So for once why not simply sum it all up in 3 words such as 'just do it' and get sued by nike in the process.

    And not post the usual bla bla but rather feedbacks of what they actually did in the real world.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  10. #20
    Senior Member groovejet02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Ok I think there's some major misunderstanding there.
    It's just that, alot of people, especially your everyday intx. Will tend to have a very good understanding of the theory without ever actually trying it out.

    So for once why not simply sum up in 3 words such as 'just do it' and get sued by nike in the process.
    But why not think about it carefully first? I needed to analyze beforehand what caused me to be so demotivated. It's my nature to think before acting.

    I see you're Enneagram type 7w8. I'm type 5. I'm guessing that you are more assertive and spontaneous. Not me. But I can try, one step at a time.

Similar Threads

  1. [INTP] How do you know an INTP is in love? INTP's please Help!
    By ana in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 05-05-2016, 03:53 PM
  2. [MBTItm] Please help this xNFP sort out reactions to an INTP friend (with bennies)
    By I Never Find Peace in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 01:29 PM
  3. [MBTItm] help an INTP understand an ESFJ
    By quamdel in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 09-02-2010, 02:24 PM
  4. [INTP] Please help! I'm in love with an INTp
    By Marie in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 191
    Last Post: 01-18-2009, 12:13 PM
  5. [INTP] Being an INTP has become a LIVING HELL. HELP.
    By the_STRATOSPHERE in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-07-2008, 06:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO