User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 163

  1. #61
    Senior Member tinkerbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Ok, so natal astrology gives general tendencies, in what ways you would tend to react in certain types of situations. Predictive astrology tells you how your day will turn out. Correct?

    If so, is natal astrology and predictive astrology under the same system? (how to word this...) Are they two subsets of the same theory, somewhat different applications, but the same process (the planets alignmnets) determines the results?

    Also, how much influence do the planets have? Could you, at least in theory, predict the entirety of a person's life down to every detail?

    Hi

    some more sencible questions.

    Natal astrology profiles who you are... what talents/weakensses you have. It gives a range of possibilites because people can use their talents differently... one arty person would do music, another paint, another cook etc...

    An analogy.....If you say that Natal astrology says you have a knee, predictive astrology identifies the time when someone kicks you knee and hit s reflex action. Central tendancies of the Natal usually identifies if it will be stressful or not, or simply a major point in your life.

    Predictive astrology is at it's best with BIG stuff. Day to day are a bit lame and a bit wishy washy. Big stuff is usually predicted by the slow planets (ie major life transits). These identify major events in your life. These heavier impacting planets work slowly so there is likely to be 8-10 week periords where tention build and events play out. The transiting planet starts to aspect the natal planet, makes the angle then moves on. IT then reverses back over the planet (usually at the strongest point) and then turns direct again and scoots on by. So slower planets usually make 3 hits of the natal planet, the middle one is often the strongest/has the most impact - although not always.

    I once read for a skeptic on the plane, and he more or less said he thought it was rott. I correctly identified the preiod he was divorced in, and that h had fairly recently met the love of his life, saying she was a teacher or laywer... He was bowled over.

    Can you predict life event for the whole of a period of life, well yes and no... You can see when things will be challenging. Tough aspects in childhood can leave hevier scars on a person or none at all because the child learns to deal with it. If they receive the same transit in their 30's it has a bigger impact on them.

    Some planets make a number of cycles in a persons life, ou may have heard of Saturn Return, happening around 28.5 years. This is the gateway to true adulthood, this happens again in 28.5 years time or there abouts. The peson learns and matures and reacts differently even to th same transit...

    Say for instance a person is born with viloence or abuse hall marked in their Natal chart, often the experience something bad in childhood or teen years. They may then go on to marry someone abusive and then leave them. They then open a refuse or something for people who have suffered from abuse. They are using their "abuse aspect" productively to help others... this usually stops the abuse happening directly to them.

    Hopefully that makes sence

    Lis

  2. #62
    Senior Member tinkerbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    I agree.

    And I agree that the OP has not proven astrology, far from it.

    I am only saying that you cannot use the argument "it's stupid" to disprove it.
    Peace Baby - Love this, I'm not trying to prove astrology, just saying to folks that it's not all horoscopes and shouldn't be discarded just because someone says it's stupid. Done properly it can be sincerly informative and very useful tool to help people deal with themselves and others.

    Astro.com gives a free chart interpretation but they are not fabulous, that requires a real person to work through your chart with you.

    Lis

  3. #63
    Senior Member Samurai Drifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Astrology is not about date of birth, it factors in Date, time and place. Which make even identical twins uneque from each other (they can't be born at exactly the same moment). Those data are fed through astronmic data to give exact locations of 10 planets (Sun, Moon, Merucury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto, Node and Asc, MC/IC), thats a lot of data from just time place and date. So two people born on the 1st of January, 1980 20 minutes apart can have different life events. They will be very similar, have similar life events but can be experienced very differently.
    First of all, the sun is a star and not a planet.

    Secondly, the planets have absolutely nothing to do with the life one lives here on Earth. Any claim that it does is unfalsifiable and supported exclusively by anecdotal junk like your next story...

    I know someone who was born within 5 minutes of me in Guatamala, the similarities of major life events were uncanny. His mum died within weeks of my dad, and vice versa for my Mum to his dad. In 2003 I got broken into 3 times in London, he got broken into within that same time period too. His chart isn't exactly the same because of the locational differences, and the impact they have on his chart, but the events are same. We both also spent time unemployed that summer - more or less at the same time.
    Lis
    Coincidence.
    Hands in the air, it's a robbery.

  4. #64
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Drifter View Post
    Coincidence.
    Not coincidence - selection bias, and a good example of it.

  5. #65
    Senior Member tinkerbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Drifter View Post
    Secondly, the planets have absolutely nothing to do with the life one lives here on Earth. Any claim that it does is unfalsifiable and supported exclusively by anecdotal junk like your next story...

    Coincidence.
    The arguments are getting well thin now....

    The sun has no impact on us at all hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

  6. #66
    Senior Member Samurai Drifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Oh, the sun does, simply because it heats and lights the solar system.

    The other planets (besides Earth) don't have any kind of effect on human life unless you count the exceedingly minuscule gravitational pull Mars is exerting on your coffee mug. Astrology is without base or evidence. I wouldn't even give it the honor of being called pseudo-science.
    Hands in the air, it's a robbery.

  7. #67
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    tinkerbell, I empathize with you here but you may as well give it up - sadly, this is not a rational discussion in any way. I would encourage all the NT's posting to keep an open mind, since some of you are making global statements that can't be proven either.

  8. #68
    Senior Member Anja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    2,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Drifter View Post
    Oh, the sun does, simply because it heats and lights the solar system.

    The other planets (besides Earth) don't have any kind of effect on human life unless you count the exceedingly minuscule gravitational pull Mars is exerting on your coffee mug. Astrology is without base or evidence. I wouldn't even give it the honor of being called pseudo-science.
    So does the moon, Samurai! Both physically and psychologically, it appears.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

  9. #69
    Senior Member tinkerbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,487

    Default

    PeaceB - who said discussions had to be rational.... I know there is no wining or loosing - I don't see myself trying to win anything, just putting an alternative perspective into the ethers...

    L

  10. #70
    Senior Member Willfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    IsTP
    Posts
    615

    Default

    I suppose astrology's greatest strength is how it never speaks in definates. It never simply states something will be one way and that is the end of it. I went ahead and did a natal chart and I could only laugh inwardly at all of the mights, the maybes, the may or may nots, the coulds, and the possibles. My favorite line:
    You are religious by nature, and even if you profess to be a complete atheist
    Are you kidding me?

    The kicker is at the top it has a disclaimer about how it may not be accurate. Well it isn't worded as such but .. well here is the astrological jargon meant to cover their ass :
    As you read your short report, or any other astrological report, keep in mind that the energies interpreted here are your birth potentials. However, you may or may not choose to actualize these energies in the manner described.
    All the while the are dangling a 'full report' and dangle the 22.95 pricetag for such in front of you. The only people that truly benefit from astrology are those who stand to profit from it.

    Tinkerbell, have you ever once looked over your astrological profile trying to critically debunk it? Do you believe your system is unflawed?
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

Similar Threads

  1. Seeing the world
    By targobelle in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-11-2015, 05:23 PM
  2. An INTP world
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 03:51 PM
  3. ENTP world
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-24-2009, 01:44 AM
  4. I can control the world with the power of my mind...
    By The Ü™ in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 08:07 PM
  5. World-renowned violinist versus DC rush hour
    By sundowning in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-28-2007, 03:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO