First 614151617 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Well, to be fair to tinkerbell, there are many documented studies revealing that certain Rx medications and even surgeries have no greater effect than that of placebo.

An intro to that topic is found by clicking on this link.
    That's...grand. But the point was that the placebo effect is utterly irrelevant to the discussion at hand; all she's done is point out that lots of people do illogical things, so why shouldn't we arbitrarily believe in something illogical/unfalsifiable?

She'd have a fine argument here if I or anyone else here had at some point stated unwavering faith in the effectiveness of all prescription medications, but we haven't. Her argument essentially comes down to, "There are lots of other places where some people behave irrationally, so that justifies my totally irrational behavior regarding astrology!" And no, it obviously doesn't.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

A stalemate, huh? Right...that.

I love the condescending/dismissive comments about how she has "enough rationalists in her life" as if such a demeaning insinuation totally negates the value of rational thought. Cute.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ENTP

I love this male dominated - if enough of us get togehter and say its so it has to be true...

Not one of you have actually come with enough infomration to say it's not I've supplied a link to evidneced based research not one of you have commented on it - NOT ONE!!!!

Lis

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    That's...grand. But the point was that the placebo effect is utterly irrelevant to the discussion at hand; all she's done is point out that lots of people do illogical things, so why shouldn't we arbitrarily believe in something illogical/unfalsifiable?
    Of course it's irrelevant; spluh. (Love that word!)

tinkerbell isn't asking you to believe, she is asking you to have an open mind . Is that your true agenda here tinkerbell or am I off-base?

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Tinkerbell is not male. It's a well-known fact to any REAL scientists that logical substantiation of previous claims isn't required for females.
    Let's insult all of the women on the forum in order to zing tinkerbell.

That's hardly logical if you ask me!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Of course it's irrelevant; spluh. (Love that word!)

tinkerbell isn't asking you to believe, she is asking you to have an open mind . Is that your true agenda here tinkerbell or am I off-base?
    We have an open mind. Perfectly open to any evidence anybody wishes to present. Unfortunately, none has been presented.*

Let's insult all of the women on the forum in order to zing tinkerbell.

That's hardly logical if you ask me!
    Not that it excuses anything, but.. tinkerbell did it first.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    I'm also, I guess a wee bit older than you guys so not exactly going to bend to 20-something male domination.... Simply not in my composition.
    The 20 something male domiance thing, is that if enough of you stand back and repeatedly say BECAUSE I SAY SO, then everyone else will back down....
    Oh dear, who is getting pissed off? not you surely? Critical thinking - is just slamming alternatibe perspective, something to be ashamed off rather than considering, learning before evaluating... Sad real. If you're pissed off, go away.... I'm not asking for you to get traumatised by someone who wont kow tow to the almighty male ego of RIGHTNESS.
    I love this male dominated - if enough of us get togehter and say its so it has to be true...
    Hey Peace Baby
    A good skeptic who conducted quant research was
    Michel Gauquelin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He had to conlude that planets in houses worked but was very skeptical of signs (which I'd find myself).
    Do you have a copy of the actual articles that he published? This is interesting.

Though, some points:
    It was published in the 50-60s.
    The wiki article notes that it wasn't without critics in the scientific community.
    Subjective selection criteria for the experiment subjects.
    Other studies have found no statistically significant correlation.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Not one of you have actually come with enough infomration to say it's not I've supplied a link to evidneced based research not one of you have commented on it - NOT ONE!!!!

Lis
    if this thread were about evolution, i wouldnt need more than a paragraph to answer the questions i already asked of you:

1. how is it falsifiable
    2. whats the mechanism?
    3. example of prediction and standards of evaluating prediction.

no articles required. why you refuse to attempt this for your theory, is beyond me! me asking these questions of you is in no way me claiming victory or even disrespectful. why why why!?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

So, we are reduced to an eye for an eye ...

It's quite evident tinkerbell has been less than complementary too ... doesn't mean you need to stoop to the same level.

Please note: I have never said that there was evidence to support astrology myself. I only have experiential data to go by. Check out my posts, they neither support nor defend nor bash astrology. I do think there *may* be something to it, but I have conducted no research to speak of and thus make this subjective statement.

And Costrin, it's cool you visited the Gauquelin link above. It's highly likely no one else who's arguing so vehemently has.

I love, just love a lively debate - I thought that's what threads like these in the NT section would be. Maybe this one can come to center and discuss studies, like the link above.

And Babylon_Candle, I hear where you are coming from too ... you are trying to be helpful to all. I send you a big .

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think this is going to be one of those debates that end in "agreeing to disagree" if indeed it doesn't escalate into a flame. Just saying...
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

MBTI
    ENTP

Though, some points:
    It was published in the 50-60s.
    The wiki article notes that it wasn't without critics in the scientific community.
    Subjective selection criteria for the experiment subjects.
    Other studies have found no statistically significant correlation.[/QUOTE]

I know - and at a guess some of them will be published in Frnech but I will sout around a few folk to see if I can actually find anything online.

YEA cos scietist always agree , as do ecconomist, researchers, a a hoist of professionals

Lis

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    if this thread were about evolution, i wouldnt need more than a paragraph to answer the questions i already asked of you:
    Beleive me writting big is really impressive, but it doesn't make the content any better.....

This thread was for Stimulating world to understand he didn't know what he was talign about, which has been proven over and over again - AKA dumping on something he knows nothing what so ever about....

So far no one else has state they know what they are talking about