User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Actually may be able to help there but I don't suppose having one in coventry is much use to you.

Fancy a holiday abroad?

You don't have package mail service in your country?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    You don't have package mail service in your country?
    No idea.. I don't utilise such things except in receipt. I'd imagine so though.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

No idea.. I don't utilise such things except in receipt. I'd imagine so though.
    You are the man, Xander. However, I've swapped hard drives and done a new Windows install, and I'm in business for now. There were some earlier problems with USB ports ceasing to function, which led me to believe the problem was the motherboard--And it may well be. A malfunction may have done bad things to the OS. I tried to reinstall Windows on that one and it said "Searching for previous installations of Windows" for hours when I left to do something. I can't imagine it being the hard-drive hardware itself, as it's a damned year-old Seagate Enterprise. They store national secrets on those.

I think there's not a bad chance my problems will come back in time, but I'll just hope they don't. More than hope: This time I won't overclock the FSB to 320MHz for two years straight like I did last time.

I'll let you know, Xander, if it fails again. Perhaps we could arrange a post-Xmas gift exchange.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    You are the man, Xander. However, I've swapped hard drives and done a new Windows install, and I'm in business for now. There were some earlier problems with USB ports ceasing to function, which led me to believe the problem was the motherboard--And it may well be. A malfunction may have done bad things to the OS. I tried to reinstall Windows on that one and it said "Searching for previous installations of Windows" for hours when I left to do something. I can't imagine it being the hard-drive hardware itself, as it's a damned year-old Seagate Enterprise. They store national secrets on those.

I think there's not a bad chance my problems will come back in time, but I'll just hope they don't. More than hope: This time I won't overclock the FSB to 320MHz for two years straight like I did last time.

I'll let you know, Xander, if it fails again. Perhaps we could arrange a post-Xmas gift exchange.
    Have you checked back stock in the local suppliers btw? I know that as a secondary measure you may be able to keep the RAM and upgrade the CPU but I'm not sure who'd still stock the stuff.

Btw, overclocking... are you doing that on air or on water? Perhaps a central heating incident?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Have you checked back stock in the local suppliers btw? I know that as a secondary measure you may be able to keep the RAM and upgrade the CPU but I'm not sure who'd still stock the stuff.

Btw, overclocking... are you doing that on air or on water? Perhaps a central heating incident?
    It could have been. I think I had my Athlon 64 OCd from 2400 to 2880, so it ran "warm" all the time, on air. Also, the video card's (7800gt) fan/sink was clogged with dust, and it got up to at least 105 Celsius playing a game. Insane. After cleaning it was when the problems started, intermittent at first.

I'm not going to overclock this one anymore.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Wow! This thread is hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

It could have been. I think I had my Athlon 64 OCd from 2400 to 2880, so it ran "warm" all the time, on air. Also, the video card's (7800gt) fan/sink was clogged with dust, and it got up to at least 105 Celsius playing a game. Insane. After cleaning it was when the problems started, intermittent at first.

105!!! One hundred and five!!!

Hmm I think I may know what killed your motherboard... just a bit.

Next time, Antec 900 or 1200 case. Trust me. For air cooling I've yet to find something better.

105.. I'm surprised you don't need a new graphics card never mind motherboard!

Banned
    MBTI
    type

105!!! One hundred and five!!!

Hmm I think I may know what killed your motherboard... just a bit.

Next time, Antec 900 or 1200 case. Trust me. For air cooling I've yet to find something better.

105.. I'm surprised you don't need a new graphics card never mind motherboard!
    I have an Antec...Something. It's the black one with a power button on it. Wait...640.

Which did have respectable cooling, being that I had two 80mm intake fans at the front and one 120mm at the back. But leading up to these issues, I'd neglected to clean the damn thing for quite a while, and I do think it's likely that heat was a factor one way or another.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

According to one site on aircooling (a respectable one in my estimations) negative air pressure is more desirable than positive. Perhaps turning your 80mms to extract?

Mind you, having said that, the Antec 900 I fitted up could only ever be loosely termed as negative air pressure. Sure I had most of the fans on extraction but those suckers have more holes in them than a dartboard!

Banned
    MBTI
    type

According to one site on aircooling (a respectable one in my estimations) negative air pressure is more desirable than positive. Perhaps turning your 80mms to extract?

Mind you, having said that, the Antec 900 I fitted up could only ever be loosely termed as negative air pressure. Sure I had most of the fans on extraction but those suckers have more holes in them than a dartboard!
    I've heard the opposite, that slight positive pressure is better. I think that's what I ended up with, unintentionally, due to the CPU fan duct on the side.

But I'm not that worried about it anymore. The way things are going in the PC world, overclocking seems to be getting less advantageous.