• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Fellow INTJs (and others as well), I need your input on "case studies"

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I constantly do this "case study" thing. Sorta. It's more of just observation. Case study seems to imply a more structured thing, following the scientific method, and all that. That's not what I do, I just make observations, see how they fit in with my model, and occasionally make a prediction that I test.

WithoutaFace

MBTI Type
INTJ
This one time however, I did not really have fun with a case study. It was an ENFJ, and I could have sworn she turned it backwards. Her personality did a full 360, and she started playing games with me. Oh god, never again. Don't every try to mess with an ENFJ's head, insanity.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
This one time however, I did not really have fun with a case study. It was an ENFJ, and I could have sworn she turned it backwards. Her personality did a full 360, and she started playing games with me. Oh god, never again.

Rarely have this happen to me (although I occasionally do it to others), but when it does I tend to feel excited, rather than scared. I would probably try and turn it into some sort of competition, and just the fact that they realize what I was doing instantly garners respect. The people who do this are the more interesting ones, and therefore more worth the effort.

WithoutaFace

MBTI Type
INTJ
Rarely have this happen to me (although I occasionally do it to others), but when it does I tend to feel excited, rather than scared. I would probably try and turn it into some sort of competition, and just the fact that they realize what I was doing instantly garners respect. The people who do this are the more interesting ones, and therefore more worth the effort.

I guess, but that ruins the whole "controlled experiment" aspect of it. Now I have to deal with confounds and lack of applicability, and it degenerates into a confrontation of egos. Shit, if I wanted that I'd go to the club.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I guess, but that ruins the whole "controlled experiment" aspect of it. Now I have to deal with confounds and lack of applicability, and it degenerates into a confrontation of egos. Shit, if I wanted that I'd go to the club.

Well, like I said above, I don't do controlled experiments, instead I do open ended observation and spontaneous testing. I observe behaviours A, B, and C, and I come to conclusion, then I observe behaviours E, F, and G, refine that conclusion. Then perhaps I spontaneously get an idea "I wonder how she'll react if I do this? She will probably do X, but possibly Y and Z." If instead she does T, then that changes things unexpectedly for the better. "Why did she do that? Likely because of reason J, possibly reason K, and a small possiblity of L and M." The more unknowns, the more fun there is in discovering them. When things are mostly predictable, then it is boring.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
INTJs are absolutely brilliant at creating convincing sounding analyses which have only rough accuracy. The INTJ is definitely happy with this, being more concerned with official, recognized success than, say, the depressing obsession with truth of the INTP.

WithoutaFace

MBTI Type
INTJ
INTJs are absolutely brilliant at creating convincing sounding analyses which have only rough accuracy. The INTJ is definitely happy with this, being more concerned with official, recognized success than, say, the depressing obsession with truth of the INTP.

Well, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the truth. Truth is beautiful, I'd take that any day over some matrix like delusion. It's just that, I prefer to have some results with it. I know it might be a little close minded to only be looking for the results that I planned out, but sometimes you just want what you want. The truth though, is never depressing. As a matter of fact I admire those who seek and experiment for the truth. Sometimes, I wish I was a little more spontaneous and experiential. But hey, life is a journey and we all mature in time.

Besides to some, the "depressing obsession with truth" is actually their own version of officially recognized success.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
You don't have to make excuses for who you are, WAF. I certainly don't. Besides, you can't escape your nature anyway.

WithoutaFace

MBTI Type
INTJ
Lol, okay sooo.... JF, I take it that you sometimes perceive that you have a depressing obsession with the truth?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Lol, okay sooo.... JF, I take it that you sometimes perceive that you have a depressing obsession with the truth?
It's not depressing in and of itself. It's the relation of the obsession with society. Half don't care, and 48% care deeply and are deeply wrong.

WithoutaFace

MBTI Type
INTJ
I get your point though Costrin. I guess that's the difference between you and I. This sounds kind of nutty, but sometimes I do these "controlled experiments" in my head before actually meeting with the person (i.e. before I go to sleep). I try to make the imagined scenarios as realistic as possible based off of how well I know the person, how they will react, etc. Kind of like the holo-deck on Star-Trek. Still I face a lot of unpredictability. Maybe your method might be something worth trying out.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I get your point though Costrin. I guess that's the difference between you and I. This sounds kind of nutty, but sometimes I do these "controlled experiments" in my head before actually meeting with the person (i.e. before I go to sleep). I try to make the imagined scenarios as realistic as possible based off of how well I know the person, how they will react, etc. Kind of like the holo-deck on Star-Trek. Still I face a lot of unpredictability. Maybe your method might be something worth trying out.

I do the holodeck thing often too, however I'm not really rigorous in making sure it's realistic. I'm not sure how useful my method will be. I often have no purpose in mind while doing it other than "it's interesting". I just enjoy the mental stimulation.

Anentropic IxTx

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I've always tried to deduce people's motives. And the holodeck thing is an interesting metaphor ;)

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
(I love listening to INTJs 'discuss' :wubbie: )