• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs play Starcraft/RTS FTW? (gg in advance)

Hendo Barbarosa

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
yeah noz you're right, is was a total spur-of-the-moment thing to make it an NT thread, it mainly had to do with the idea that like, RTS games specifically appeal to the inner desire for "total control" that uh...certain...NTs...have...

I've noticed also that like, the first time I opened up Hammer (the level-creating tool for Half Life) I felt that exact same control-rush. If anything, for me, it's even greater with creative outlets, because it feels like I'm controlling EVEN MORE.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like warcraft3, age of empires 2 and diablo 2 for rts. I prefer turn-based games though, like heroes 3 and masters of orion. I play d2 with friends often, rarely solo.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Strategy games will always have a special place in my heart, but I've found better ways to spend hours and hours of my time.

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
As far as strategy games that have consumed my life, I've probably played around 30-40,000 total hours on Civilization (2 3 and 4) and Starcraft alone.

There was a time when I played Alpha Centauri (1999) for like 15 hours a day sometimes :D. I liked that game more than Civilization because, on the highest difficulty at least, you could get like a real, longlasting war going with the AI, where the battle would go back and forth and it felt much more epic than civ, unlike civ it was also actually playable at the highest difficulty setting. In civ it seems to me that war is usually decided much more quickly , once you destroy the opponents' main stack it's basically over. Though I think in Alpha Centauri you had to move all your units individually, which I couldn't put up with anymore today. I also couldn't get the game to run on multiple-cpu systems, it simply display "your CPU is not supported" and exits.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like strategy games, I wish I were better at them...

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
yeah noz you're right, is was a total spur-of-the-moment thing to make it an NT thread, it mainly had to do with the idea that like, RTS games specifically appeal to the inner desire for "total control" that uh...certain...NTs...have...

I've noticed also that like, the first time I opened up Hammer (the level-creating tool for Half Life) I felt that exact same control-rush. If anything, for me, it's even greater with creative outlets, because it feels like I'm controlling EVEN MORE.

I use to make maps for Halo Custom Edition.

I just found it really fun creating all these ideas I always had.

"Hmm, it would be cool if they made a map like this..."
Changed to instead,
"Hmm, I wonder how I could make that map idea work." *Draws it out during class*

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I love strategy games. I'm probably best of my friends at StarCraft (I play Zerg). I also enjoyed Dawn of War (Orks, then Tau when DC expansion came out), Warcraft 3 (Undead), many varieties of Command and Conquer, Advance Wars, Supreme Commander, Axis and Allies, Risk, etc, any strategy game really. Unfortunately, my StarCraft doesn't want to cooperate with me and won't let me play :(.

I also really enjoy Diplomacy. It's a game where 7 people take control of a European power in 1901. The goal is to take over Europe. There is absolutely no randomness to the combat, except that introduced by other players, as all the moves for each country are submitted and resolved simultaneously. The key of course, true to the name, is diplomacizing. You need to be very good at reading and manipulating the other 6 players in the game. It's also easily played on a forum if you have a GM, sounds perfect for a board of NTs... *hint, hint* *nudge, nudge* :p.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I love strategy games. I'm probably best of my friends at StarCraft (I play Zerg). I also enjoyed Dawn of War (Orks, then Tau when DC expansion came out), Warcraft 3 (Undead), many varieties of Command and Conquer, Advance Wars, Supreme Commander, Axis and Allies, Risk, etc, any strategy game really. Unfortunately, my StarCraft doesn't want to cooperate with me and won't let me play :(.

I also really enjoy Diplomacy. It's a game where 7 people take control of a European power in 1901. The goal is to take over Europe. There is absolutely no randomness to the combat, except that introduced by other players, as all the moves for each country are submitted and resolved simultaneously. The key of course, true to the name, is diplomacizing. You need to be very good at reading and manipulating the other 6 players in the game. It's also easily played on a forum if you have a GM, sounds perfect for a board of NTs... *hint, hint* *nudge, nudge* :p.

Heh, I play Tau also.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I play the Total War games. Especially Rome: Total War. Medieval Total War 2 is also OK.
Also Sneak 'em up-games with lots of puzzles to be solved... Nice.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
Nuclear Launch detected !! :D

I assume you mean Strategic launch detected? Supreme Commander. I got that game for the 360 (my PC is crap and wont run it) and man I wish I could get forged alliance.:( Anyways I have always been a big fan of RTS games, provably my favorite was Age of Empires 2 The Conquerors. I spent almost 2 years playing that game and never got bored. I havep played almost all of the "Age of" games by ensemble studios. I also was asked to play test a game called Rise and Fall which allowed you to play massive battles in and you could jump in as a single unit and play in 3rd person like a shooting game. You could board ships and what not pretty cool but it never really sold. I also played Battle for Middle Earth one (which I though sucked) and the second one as well which was A LOT better and really fun. Man I have played so many RTS that I can't remember them all, but after FPS games RTS is where is at.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Clearly the best unit is the skilled player.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I spent a lot of hours playing Warcraft II, Starcraft, and Warcraft III. Given that RTS capabilities are often measured by actions-per-minute -- and it's tactics, not strategy, that depends on physical manipulation of immediate resources -- I've come to prefer turn-based games.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Clearly the best unit is the skilled player.

Who coincidentally (or perhaps not), happens to use Defilers.

Not biased at all here.

It depends who your enemy is.

Defilers are exceptional against Terran, but still useful in the other two matchups.

Dark Swarm affects every Terran unit except for the Firebat, and the splash damage from Siege Tanks. Firebats are easily massacred by the time you have Defilers, and Siege Tanks damage is still significantly reduced, and can be nullified nearly completely by burrowing (damage is reduced to 1). Protoss have a significant amount of ranged also, although things like storm and reavers nullify this somewhat. Zerg, if it gets to this level, have quite a bit of Mutalisks, Lurkers and Hydralisks.

Plague is great for weakening groups of enemies, or for destroying Terran buildings in the absence of repairs, useful against everything from massed Science Vessels, to Dragoons to stacked Mutalisks. Combine this with the ability to instantly refill energy by consuming readily available Zerglings, and you have a winning combination.

Ghosts, on the other hand, are much more situational. They're energy has to be carefully rationed between cloak and lockdown (which of course doesn't work on biological units, e.g. all of Zerg), and nukes are so hard to land against an observant opponent as to be nearly irrelevant.

</INTP lecture>