User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    later, Kali and Heat (where I racked up 29 straight hours of playtime!)
    Holy shit, a bow of respect for a former Kali gamer please. Old school styles ALERT. So awesome.

Time is a huge factor with these games, definitely. I haven't really played a straight solo "run" of an RTS since I started trying to develop my own game, in 2004. I'm the type of person who does enjoy that insta-gratification of power that you can get from it though, so sometimes I'll put in cheats or whatever in order to say, have infinite resources or the ability to build things faster, or have all the units at the beginning, etc.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

When I was younger I liked to play RTS like Warcraft 2&3, Total Annihilation, Earth 2150, Starcraft and such. However my favourite RTS so far is Hearts of Iron II : Doomsday (with Total Realism Project mod), a WWII-era grand-strategy game in which the smallest controllable unit is a division. Actually, the game is pausable if you play against the AI, so technically the gameplay is closer to a turn based strategy game, which makes sense since I now prefer those to RTS games. I consider games like C&C or Starcraft to be mainly tactical in nature, IMO success in them depends more on quick reaction, tactical intelligence, flexibility, and clicking speed than on strategic planning. In Hearts of Iron II you can methodically plan and execute actual World Domination .

What I especially like about it, is that I am in charge of an entire country's military, research and industrial production without being bogged down by a lot of unnecessary details.While the combat part of the game is quite complex, the economic and industrial aspects are greatly simplified, so that you can engage in global mangement but don't have to do a lot of micromanagement. To succeed at the game you need to plan long term, capital ships for example take several years to build, so you need to at least have some idea of what you will be doing when they finish. The game also taught me a whole lot about geography, I now know where exactly all the European capitals are and can draw a fairly detailed world map from memory, including terrain .

When I play an RTS like Starcraft I kind of feel like some mid-level commander who the General send to some random place to fight a battle, I don't feel in charge of the overall situation in those games. I recently tried to play "Supreme Commander" which does have a very "global" feel to it, but that game was incredibly confusing, there was just too much going on all the time, and it also runs too slow on my computer.

I also like to play games like Civilization 4 (mostly online, the turns have a time limit there) and generally prefer turn based strategy or RTS which you can pause because I like to have some time to think and I don't like feeling rushed all the time.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Oh that brings up another good question, which is:

Which types like turn-based RPGs more than the "dynamic" types, on the general whole? Me personally, I like turn-based a lot more, particularly because it gives you more time to think/plan.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

no re
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

a

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Hendo Barbarosa View Post
    Oh that brings up another good question, which is:

Which types like turn-based RPGs more than the "dynamic" types, on the general whole? Me personally, I like turn-based a lot more, particularly because it gives you more time to think/plan.
    When it comes to turn based, I like 'board' game versions more than the wargames - but from the DS to console to PC, I don't think turn based is very good. Best on portables though, as it does let you think. In reality, though, most are more like FF tactics, which is a great game, but most of the time takes forever even if you know you can win.

Games like chess and Go, of course, but I think those are too linear now (even go ). I prefer games like Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, etc. I actually spend more time playing those with friends than I do playing games.

(Ok, except wow now )

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

I've only played Civ 4 and Civ Rev.
    Civ 4 was okay, but it got sort of tedious after a certain amount of gameplay time, once the nation starts getting complex it's not so much management and more like constantly moving units and producing units. I would still suggest you try it, or at least the demo.

Sid Meier's Civilization IV Demo - FileFront.com

Civ Rev is better in my opinion. It's basically a more simple Civ 4. And I like the art style. Although it is only for PS3 and 360.

I don't especially like the Civ games because I enjoy micromanagement. Building bases. Organizing armies. And Civ doesn't really do that.

EDIT: Oh and they are turn based, so you'd probably like them I assume?
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

It was mostly my NF friends who were into Starcraft/Warcraft style RTSs. I was/am a huge sucker for grand strategy games like Total War and Hearts of Iron. Playing MTW: VI online was probably the thing I've poured most of my efforts and time into. Thinking about it gets me worked up again about how much they butchered the battle engine in Rome and Medieval II.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I really loved Age of Empires II (I played as the Goths), Dawn of War (I play Chaos) and Starcraft (Zerg). I pretty much hated Warcraft 3, the whole hero style of gameplay really wasn't for me.

I also like fighting games like Guilty Gear (<3 May) and Super Smash Brothers Brawl (Ness, Wolf, Luigi and Sonic).
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

SC2 is coming out soon.....

Anyone wanna play SC1, brush up on their skillz?

I definitely knew a lot of NTs that played SC, but I don't know if they'd be the most populous type on bnet or anything.

As far as strategy games that have consumed my life, I've probably played around 30-40,000 total hours on Civilization (2 3 and 4) and Starcraft alone.