• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs play Starcraft/RTS FTW? (gg in advance)

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I heard that they wouldn't have any buildings, and that really turned me off.
But my friend said they would in mutliplayer not just singleplayer.
So I decided to check it out.
Turns out you start with one base, and that base produces all of your units.
You get to upgrade it, there are three tiers. Tier one you start at, basic marine squad (3 people), heavy bolter marine squad (3 people), and assault marines (3)
Tier two is dreadnoughts and transports.
Tier three is predator tank.
In all there are like 8 unit types and your commander unit.

You capture requisition points, and you capture energy points, after you capture the energy point you can build a max of 3 generators around the energy point (you don't get to pick where they are build specifically).

Basically it's battles of 1-2 vehicles and maybe 5 squads. So simple.

To be fair I only played like three games and only played as the space marines, but I was too disgusted to play after that...

</review>

So no freedom at all? No building strategy? No pay off of buildings versus troops, teching versus rush versus economy? Armies not big enough for multiple fronts? No flanks, sneak attacks, etc.?

All this, plus no Tau? Please let it not be true. Such high hopes, dashed, gone forever into the uncaring abyss.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah but all very very simple.

No building strategy?

Turrets.

No pay off of buildings versus troops, teching versus rush versus economy?

You can wait for tech to upgrade the bunker... get vehicles. But the beginning of the game is a rush for the control points and energy points because none are located near the base (smaller maps also I forgot to mention). Whoever gets the points gets the more resources, able to tech, more troops, etc. Basically if you get your troops out there at the same time it's just... luck.

Armies not big enough for multiple fronts?

You can attack on different fronts, but not with armines in the Dawn of War 1 sense. More like maybe, 4 squads here, 4 squads there.

No flanks, sneak attacks, etc.?

See above, but basically, no. Smaller maps, even the 3v3 ones.

All this, plus no Tau? Please let it not be true. Such high hopes, dashed, gone forever into the uncaring abyss.

Space Marines, Orks, Eldar, and the Tyranid.

Oh and.

Games for Windows Live. :horor:

Good thing I set up that crap for Halo 2 long ago.

But I hate it when you have to register for stupid things just to play online.
Accounts for Games for Windows Live are free now though.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Everyone should at least give it a try though, because the first was just that awesome.

On Steam, for free.

You'd have to make a Games for Windows Live account though, or use your Xbox Live account.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah but all very very simple.

Turrets.

Yeah that hardly counts

You can wait for tech to upgrade the bunker... get vehicles. But the beginning of the game is a rush for the control points and energy points because none are located near the base (smaller maps also I forgot to mention). Whoever gets the points gets the more resources, able to tech, more troops, etc. Basically if you get your troops out there at the same time it's just... luck.

Yeah, I've played DoW1, but from what you say, it seems DoW2 is much dumbed down.

You can attack on different fronts, but not with armines in the Dawn of War 1 sense. More like maybe, 4 squads here, 4 squads there.

Ok.

See above, but basically, no. Smaller maps, even the 3v3 ones.

Smaller maps? DoW maps were already really small...

Space Marines, Orks, Eldar, and the Tyranid.

Out of those, I'm only interested in Orks.

Oh and.

Games for Windows Live. :horor:

Good thing I set up that crap for Halo 2 long ago.

But I hate it when you have to register for stupid things just to play online.
Accounts for Games for Windows Live are free now though.

The straw, it breaks my back.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP

Bear in mind the Tau on DoW1 were added in an expansion. I imagine you'll see more races to come.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I would say that the Dawn of War series is dead really.
It has become a victim of the casual gamer market.

I mean it's cool to try to make your game appeal to a wider mass.
But seriously, don't dumb it down just to get that appeal.

This rings especially true for the RTS genre.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
I would say that the Dawn of War series is dead really.
It has become a victim of the casual gamer market.

Er, you mean the tabletop? I played DoW1 becuase it was fun, not because I thought it was an accurate represenatation of the tabletop rules.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Er, you mean the tabletop? I played DoW1 becuase it was fun, not because I thought it was an accurate represenatation of the tabletop rules.

No I mean the video game series.
I agree with you.
I doubt the greatness of the first DoW will come back is what I am saying.

Oh and I edited my post some, I should have explained more.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Basically, economy is the biggest thing to learn. Your goal is to always be building. Continue pumping out probes (I assume your playing Protoss mainly) until you have 2.5 per mineral patch (this has actually been calculated out. You don't need to count all your probes individually, although you might want to do a test game to see what it looks like, so you can eyeball it in the future). Once midgame rolls about you'll probably be mining off of two bases. Once one of your bases is getting low on minerals, now is a good time to expand (this does not apply to Zerg, but does to Terran).

But, build build build build. If you aren't making something at all times, your wrong. If you've reached the population cap, then attack, and build reinforcements while your attacking. If you can do this, then probably 90% of your problems will be fixed. The other 10% is scouting (I exaggerate somewhat, but with these two fundamentals, all the rest will fall into place).

And yeah, good players will have a lot of production buildings, depending on the unit composition they want to pump out. The goal is to keep under 1000 minerals and gas. This is trickier than it sounds when things get hectic.

As for specific BOs, that depends a lot on the matchup and what your opponent is doing. Teamliquid.net is a good resource, it's the place where the best SC players that aren't Korean hang out.

And tutoring? I definitely won't call myself qualified for that, but I'd be willing to be a training partner.

Yeah that would be good. Can I contact you on AIM or something like that to set up a game or two? My AIM is the same as my handle here.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah that would be good. Can I contact you on AIM or something like that to set up a game or two? My AIM is the same as my handle here.

I had an AIM forever ago. I forgot it. So I made a new one: malakrith.