User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 70

  1. #51
    Senior Member Kyrielle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    If you want to get your point across, yelling at powerful people will only make them go "Pfft, whatever la la la la la!" Seems like you have the potential for a decent argument, but your emotions (read: irritation) about the topic will probably get in the way and lead you to failure in your goal (to change their minds). It's good to be irritated, but it's bad to be irritated to the point of distraction and ranting.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

    Robert Frost

  2. #52
    Senior Member Willfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    IsTP
    Posts
    615

    Default

    I agree with tinkerbell, Nickels.

    Go before your professor and tell him how astrology makes TV suck right now and all we have to do is sit on our hands and wait for the year of the beaver or whatever. That will get you the spot for sure.

    If your professor is an INT type I wouldn't go and complain about shitty shows to him. Arm yourself with knowledge and facts, broad generalizations that everybody sort of gets isn't going to cut it, yes reality TV and CSI sucks we all know.

    Also a cool powerpoint thing to do is to make bullet points for the advantages/disadvantages between using TV and using the internet, both from an artistic and buisness standpoint.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

  3. #53
    Member Nickels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJimbo View Post
    Oh man, I lol'd furiously reading Nickel's reaction to the astrological nonsense. Pretty much took the words right out of my mouth.

    I understand that by assigning certain traits to planets and comparing their alignment you could come up with explanations to pretty much anything, but that is exactly the problem. You can come up with explanations for ANYTHING given you're creative enough. Exactly the problem I see with "functional analysis" in the MBTI; you're given a very vague list of descriptors for an incredibly complex system. With enough creativity, any alignment of the vague descriptors could be logically justified.
    Me and a friend almost went to tears reading tinerkebells post when she got obviously very high and decided to give out advice about planets that don't exists any more. How can Pluto "do" anything again? When of course it's not even a planet.

    "These two when conjuncts (tight together) inveneted the gas chambers that were used in world war one."

    and of course my favorite "In square they probably damage properly "

  4. #54
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    I don't dissagree with you at all, it's just ANOTHER lable, would you prefer if it were called the ENTP generation

    ENTP's have historically been 1-2% of the population - randomly scanning a huge amount of data to iNtuitively absorbe a ton of data and come up with a radical answer. they Loathe control and authority and are happiest when given their own head room.

    The hyper tec generation will be more ENTP than previous. Not sure at all about the other New age stuff in their but worth keeping an open mind to see if these guys come out different.

    Do keep in mind that many people think than TP's can read peoples thoughts from their body cues etc
    FP's can read peoples feelings. Both in a rather syreal way. All it really means is there will be MORE witing this generation, they get bored quick, need to learn for themselve and HATE being tutored. Bright and self motivated but unruelly and naughty - need constant high volume of stimulus, hyperactive because they NEED brain food.

    This stuff is all just an alternative point of view, which CAN be useful if used.

    If we just take the generation types =
    Leo = big causes, big picture, attention seeking, self absorbed attention seekers
    Virgos = slightly dull, detail, health and well being, nurtician, detail clean freaks
    Libra = relationships and beauty
    Scorpio = sexuality and passion in every from, on the edge of death/truely deepness
    Saggies = upbeat dreamers of travel (possibly will take space holidays).
    Capricorn = resources and networking, business orientated.

    Each of these generations are coloured by Neptune and Uranus too - which causes sub generation classifications.

    How do they respond different to TV/mass media in terms of taste....

    I fully expect to catch it in the back of the neck both barrels for daring to be different and considering different perspectives to allow me to grasp bigger concepts. I don't really give a shit if you can't think beyond the box, I just find it funny that people view themselves as free thinkers when they clearly are not

    Of course, you can always look me up in 15 years time with the stats on ENTP-ness and argue with more robust evidence on your side, but for now, your not really on solid ground. It's difficult to see what a generation will be before they are 20 and then again 40 - time will tell. As I said futurologists see these kids a hyper tech - they abse it population behaviour not pscology (which in itself is wooly bollox which is barely provale - your should read Wiki for MBTI - it pretty much said made up bull shit that is unproven - LOL yet you seem to beleive in it LOL)

    Lis
    Actually I've read a lot more than just the wiki on MBTI, and I find from experience that it works as a good system of categorization of behaviors for use in predicting them with reasonably decent (certainly not perfect) accuracy.

    The reason MBTI has some validity is that the information on which its conclusions are based comes directly from the person him/herself, giving concrete information on his/her behavioral and information-processing preferences. MBTI doesn't create anything that isn't already there; again, it's just a handy system of efficient categorization. In short it allows for good educated guesses.

    Astrology, on the other hand, makes a bunch of totally unsubstantiated random guesses based on nothing but one's birth date. There is absolutely nothing in any established or respected behavioral psychology to suggest that the date on which one was born (itself an arbitrary cultural construct!) has any consistent influence whatsoever on one's behavioral patterns. That doesn't even make intuitive sense; it's just obviously wrong if you think about it for about 2 seconds. For every Scorpio who exhibits supposedly typical "scorpio" traits, there's another one who doesn't. It's random and its guesses are phrased in the broadest way possible so as to dupe unsuspecting people who really want to believe that their horoscopes apply. They don't.

    Anyone who believes in any degree of accuracy in such an obviously bogus system is delusional. Please don't argue back by offering anecdotal evidence of certain people you know whose astrological signs/horoscopes are accurate descriptions of their personalities; this is insufficient data to form any real conclusions about this. Of course some horoscopes will be accurate purely by random chance--in order to prove any supposed usefulness for this system you need to show a high enough degree of consistency that it cannot simply be explained away by coincidence.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  5. #55
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    And come on, honestly, believing in arbitrarily made up, utterly unsubstantiated garbage doesn't make you any more of a free thinker than I or anyone else. I'd argue that it makes you less of one, because you allow such nonsense to influence your thinking with no good reason whatsoever, so you can drop the condescending crap about "free thinking" any time now.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  6. #56
    Senior Member tinkerbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    The reason MBTI has some validity is that the information on which its conclusions are based comes directly from the person him/herself, giving concrete information on his/her behavioral and information-processing preferences. MBTI doesn't create anything that isn't already there; again, it's just a handy system of efficient categorization. In short it allows for good educated guesses.
    MBTI is basedon on Jung, Jung is based on astrology...go figure

    Love the lack of knowledge around here....

    ~Lis

  7. #57
    Senior Member tinkerbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Willfrey View Post
    Go before your professor and tell him how astrology makes TV suck right now and all we have to do is sit on our hands and wait for the year of the beaver or whatever. That will get you the spot for sure.
    I can apperciate you are not the sharpest tool in the box, no one said to go before his professor and say such things, but when he is preparing he might want to consider and alternative pespective on what lies beneith the skin of lack of viewing.

    As I have said repeatedly, I have been at futurology leactures are work which pretty much give the same result (through different medium).

    I personally use astrology because its very clean and detailed, but it basicaly gets me to exactly the same place as a futurologist would get.

    Our chappy on the board is atempting to state the future of TV for kids who are Hyper Tec... probably with just a bit of college education behind him.

    I spend all my day job predicting customers behaviours (and no I'm not an astrologer by day - it's my hobby).

    The long and the short of it, is there is something about this very young generation that is significantly different that needs to be explored for their impact on media consumption.

    But hey I'm begining to get bored with you young 20's blokes, your so main stream and not at all fun...

    Get back to me in 15 years when we can have a proper chat about really interesting stuff.

    (:

  8. #58
    Senior Member tinkerbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    And come on, honestly, believing in arbitrarily made up, utterly unsubstantiated garbage doesn't make you any more of a free thinker than I or anyone else. I'd argue that it makes you less of one, because you allow such nonsense to influence your thinking with no good reason whatsoever, so you can drop the condescending crap about "free thinking" any time now.

    Free thinking = consideration of multiple perspective....

    LOL you are not

    I'm not saying belivie me, lets face it the moon has f'all impact on tides, weather, womens fertility cycles...that all total crap isn't it..... hmmm

  9. #59
    Member Nickels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    85

    Default

    I hate to quote Wikipedia on you but...

    "Generally, the scientific community considers astrology a pseudoscience or superstition"

    Granted Carl Jung had a lot of faith in Astrology, and I'm willing to say that the placement of celestial bodies could have some effect on life on this planet.

    But everything else your saying is pure gibberish,

    This is my horoscope btw.
    Daily Overview: January 25, 2009
    LEO
    July 23-August 22


    You're feeling rather proud of yourself, and with good reason -- you did well recently! You may want to take another look at the situation, though, because things could change in the near future.


    Could this possibly be anything more than gypsy bull shit? Maybe, but probably not.
    Look at this broad usage of the words here. This is amazingly vague and the fact that any reasonable person can actually sit and agree points for this system amazes me.

    How can you have so much blind faith behind a system that is so obviously flawed?

  10. #60
    Member Nickels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    85

    Default

    "I'm not saying belivie me, lets face it the moon has f'all impact on tides, weather, womens fertility cycles...that all total crap isn't it..... hmmm"

    Holy zombie Jesus are you serious? Of course the moon has an adverse effect on us. Saying the moon is responsible for the tides and basically all life on this planet is one thing, attributing random things to planets based on when people are born is just short sighted. Equally you keep mentioning Pluto as if its some real thing.

    The moon of course has effects on life on this planet, however, the other planets are so far away, that I find it difficult to believe that they have any positive or negative effect on anyone what so ever. I'm not saying that these possibilities are completely far fetched and wrong, just that with out any kind of proof its very difficult to get behind something the scientific community at large refers to as "pseudoscience or superstition"

    The moon is a very close celestial body orbiting earth having vastly obvious impacts on daily life. Bringing up facts about the moon as proof of astrology is just utter bull shit that any reasonable person can obviously deny as utter nonsense.

    "Free thinking = consideration of multiple perspective..." Ok I've considered your perspective, I see your points and after filling your arguments with holes, and denying all of your points as nonsense, I can still consider my self a free thinker, just one who disagrees with your childish fascination with the stars.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-05-2013, 02:42 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-08-2013, 10:55 PM
  3. [ENTP] ENTP: the distorted image of libertarian saviors?
    By Society in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-30-2013, 10:01 PM
  4. Ni Doms/Auxs! Do interruptions irk the heck out of you?
    By Evolving Transparency in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-28-2012, 02:52 AM
  5. get the hell out of here!
    By ThatGirl in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-13-2008, 05:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO