First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Nickels View Post
    As see this is where you are wrong good sir. They HAVEN'T been able to successfully market to the college age group, I've taken a few advertising courses and the industry is just really damn confused on what 18-25 year college students WATCH, they really have no idea.

well other than shit on comedy central.
    In general I mean. Of course, this would be a great point to stress to them.

MBTI
    INTP

You could make the power point presentation display the similarities and repetition. For example, crying beside a hospital bed, walking across an old bridge over a cliff and one of the wooden planks break, stuff like that.

Perhaps people have seen the same things so many times before that they have become desensitised to things which would otherwise have shock value or be emotionally touching to people who were new to it.

It also seems that it's fashionable these days among some young people to like more esoteric things. People think it's cool to like whatever no-one's heard of. The mainstream is seen as a negative thing. TV is accessible to pretty much everyone in developed countries.

Also, there are so many pathetic advertisements.

Umm...my suggestion, work on your pitch! Silence the P, and actually do work, rather than having 10 windows on the comp open. That's 10 distractions. Get your butt off the forum, young man!!!! /preach

And, IMO, that's also where the answer lies. Some others were hinting at it too.

Too many options often translates to 'NO OPTION'.

How many times have I thought, there's NOTHING to watch on TV, while I go through my 100+channels.

The big point, as others have pointed out, competing media. The novel is way more 'cooler' than the old (TV is way more 'ol' skool' than other media sources that's more new). And, not only is TV competing with other entertainment mediums, but, TV is competing with ITSELF! Hence, it is a circular and futile endeavour. Especially for the 18-25 demographics. It's the instant-gratification generation. I want, I get, cuz there's thousands (and 1) options to choose from. And, with such easy access, even when I *get*, it is not as fulfilling. So, I go for the novel, the *new*, not the default, same-ol-same-ol entertainment of TV. Which when I turn on, I see is competing with itself.

Same principle, something that's too easy to get, wears off way faster. Something that makes you work for it, is way more pleasurable. Psychology. Mind rationalizes its effort by making the 'harder to get' = 'better'.
    Final point, TV is comparatively more passive than other forms of media (e.g., computer, etc).

MBTI
    ENTP

See here is where I disagree with you, they will be making more money if they actually make GOOD tv.
    Have you compared production costs of casting shows with creatively designed sitcoms? Was it the cast of friedns or seinfeld that wanted 100k each per episode? I wonder if some casting shows even cost 100k per episode!

Why do you think game shows were so popular?

I agree that breaking something down to dust in the head can be fun, but nobody enjoys having dust blown in their face. Be more clever than stating the obvious.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by dga View Post
    Have you compared production costs of casting shows with creatively designed sitcoms? Was it the cast of friedns or seinfeld that wanted 100k each per episode? I wonder if some casting shows even cost 100k per episode!

Why do you think game shows were so popular?

I agree that breaking something down to dust in the head can be fun, but nobody enjoys having dust blown in their face. Be more clever than stating the obvious.
    Friends cast wanted 1 million PER show on the 8th season, each. However the advertising for this covered that costs. Considering it was one of the most popular sitcoms of the 90's and that each star KNEW that advertising costs for that would be comparable to the super bowl. The topic your going into has more to do with actor greed that badly designed TV.
    Last edited by Nickels; 01-21-2009 at 10:50 AM. Reason: misspelled a word

MBTI
    INTJ

Well, I'm an INTJ, so I tend to think that the most original idea will tend to win over the execs. Speak well and being outgoing is important, but make sure that you give these people something that they might not have heard before. Or if they have heard it, shake it up a bit. Don't suck up, but don't just tell them a bunch of reasons for why television sucks nowadays. Do you have examples from their specific networks? Focus on concrete examples from their networks. Look at ideas and types of shows that have flopped, maybe even flopped consistently on their networks. Talk about what your friends watch, what you think everyone else is watching. Is it true that our generation doesn't watch tv, or is it true that their generation just doesn't know what our generation watches? And don't neglect the power of the internet. Throw that in as a final problem-solving idea. We're the internet generation.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

That is a great idea Nickels. Use some of that good ole Ne cyclical thinking to mess their heads and make them reevaluate views - Babylon has good, cunning points there

MBTI
    ENTP

to answer the main question...why don't this generation watch TV, it likes in the stars..

I do astrology and there is a very clear explnation.

Neptune started sextilng Pluto in early 1939 until late 1995.

People born after 1995 don't have the media culture aspect (Neptune * Pluto), this aspect does kick in in 2019 again (which I guess is the retro stage) and lasts until 2042.

I'd guess that between 1995 and 2019 we need to find very alternative forms of mass media....

Utube is interesting because it's do it yourself

Just my 2 pence worth

Cheers

Lis

MBTI
    ENTP

Friends cast wanted 1 million PER show on the 8th season, each. However the advertising for this covered that costs. Considering it was one of the most popular sitcoms of the 90's and that each star KNEW that advertising costs for that would be comparable to the super bowl. The topic your going into has more to do with actor greed that badly designed TV.
    1 million, damn! Well, it still proves my point, because advertisers do not care how much a show costs to produce, only how many watch it. Television was shit before reality shows or generously paid actors.

MBTI
    ENTP

what did astrology say about television before the discovery of electricity?