User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

doesn't that only work in a scenario in which the aforementioned parent can't kick your ass?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Well in that case he has to become less of a wuss.

MBTI
    ENTP

No, don't completely sever your self from your parents. Don't burn any bridges. You are smart enough to realize that there is a problem, so deal with it responsibly. Pissing your dad off because what he asks of you isn't in your nature isn't the answer. Bite the bullet, do what he says, internalize it and get rid if it in a healthy way. Try writing. It is the only way to salvage the relationship if it is really bad. Be the bigger person, and donít do anything that you will regret.

I still have a few run ins with my mom, and it is evident that she likes my brother much more than me, but we have a very civil relationship, even if it is unsatisfying because of the differences in communication.

Ne > Ni > Ti > Fi > Te> Fe > Se > Si

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hendo Barbarosa View Post
    doesn't that only work in a scenario in which the aforementioned parent can't kick your ass?
    That's when you call DCF and laugh at him.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bougal View Post
    No, don't completely sever your self from your parents. Don't burn any bridges. You are smart enough to realize that there is a problem, so deal with it responsibly. Pissing your dad off because what he asks of you isn't in your nature isn't the answer. Bite the bullet, do what he says, internalize it and get rid if it in a healthy way. Try writing. It is the only way to salvage the relationship if it is really bad. Be the bigger person, and donít do anything that you will regret.

I still have a few run ins with my mom, and it is evident that she likes my brother much more than me, but we have a very civil relationship, even if it is unsatisfying because of the differences in communication.
    Choice A leads to misery and so does Choice B. It is a no win situation.

In that case it is best to look for a third option, in this case severing the string is what one would call a Choice C. Which leads to anger in the short run, but in the end you save the nerves of both of the parties.

If they can't get along, then they probably shouldn't. What you suggest basically leads to the "abused-wife" complex. A hope that something is going to change when nothing does which in the end leads one to a state of misery and depression.

Hope is the mother of fools for a reason.

MBTI
    ENTP

He can live with it and rise above it. I have done this for years, and I am a completely happy and healthy person. Yes, it would be easier to leave the relationship, but I know that I am strong enough to hold the burden, and I don't want the person that gave me this life in the first place feel regretful for a poor relationship, even if that is what she deserves. And I am not abuse wife or dog that has been kick too many times. I am not spiteful or weak. Maybe I'm an exception in the way that I turned out, but I have high expectations for the conduct of others.

I refuse to be a damaged person because I have a bad relationship in my life. Introspection is what saves you from being dysfunctional. Don't be melodramatic, and don't victimize yourself because that's what gives you the battered dog mentality.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bougal View Post
    He can live with it and rise above it. I have done this for years, and I am a completely happy and healthy person. Yes, it would be easier to leave the relationship, but I know that I am strong enough to hold the burden, and I don't want the person that gave me this life in the first place feel regretful for a poor relationship, even if that is what she deserves. And I am not abuse wife or battered dog. I am not spiteful or weak. Maybe I'm an exception in the way that I turned out, but I have high expectations for the conduct of others.

I refuse to be a damaged person because I have a bad relationship in my life. Introspection is what saves you from being dysfunctional. Don't be melodramatic, and don't victimize yourself because that's what gives you the battered dog mentality.
    You forcefully try to sustain a relationship that you yourself have described as not satisfactory. You have a false hope in the relationship, thus you refuse to end it.

This is the definition of an "abused wife".

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Darjur View Post
    You forcefully try to sustain a relationship that you yourself have described as not satisfactory.

This is the definition of an "abused wife".
    I want to get on the "quoting people who posted directly above" train

edit: sorry if it broke up the flow

MBTI
    ENTP

You are missing the point bud. I am not abused. I don't know how much real world experience you have, but you can burn bridges because someone yells at you, or makes you clean something. It's part of growing up and maturing. And if it were with someone I was dating I wouldn't even be in the relationship in the first place. You can't divorce your family, so you might as well do all you can to get along.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Hendo Barbarosa View Post
    I want to get on the "quoting people who posted directly above" train

edit: sorry if it broke up the flow
    And I happily oblige to quote you on it.