• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] parental controls

sade

Shut your phone, and/or move far away.
There are many ways of distraction also. :devil:
I find subtle irony and humour to be great tools.. Mildly scolding mom is funny.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
What are you doing that you dont want them to know? If it's just normal privacy issues you should talk to them.

"Mom, I feel really strange knowing that you guys 'check' on what I'm doing online. I would like to feel like you can trust me online, what are you worried about?"

If there is behavior they don't want you doing and it's causing you to avoid it on their computer then it's really accomplishing what they want, right?

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
I see parental controls as a result of horrible parenting. This has always been a HUGE bother of mine.

Many older parents see an instant message conversation as something entirely different than the phone, since the technology is new / unfamiliar to them. They need to realize that logging their kid's IMs is no different than recording their phone calls. This also goes for browser history, to a lesser extent.

A lot of people who resort to parental controls or logging cite internet predictors and other creepy people who supposedly hide in their kid's e-closets and will jump out and attack unless the parents monitor their kid's every word. I blame the media for this, but more so the parents. If the media all of a sudden started doing stories on pedophiles calling kid's phones, parents would NOT start logging phone conversations. Instead, I'd bet they would talk to their kids about this new danger, and make sure they never give personal information to anyone they don't know. This same philosophy should be used for online activities.

Just try TALKING to your kids about stuff like this. Don't assume they are guilty until proven innocent. If your kid finds out, they will likely have a skewed opinion of you for life, and never have full trust in you. This could also affect other areas of the kid's personality, where as just talking to them and making sure they understand the possible dangers of the internet would do nothing bad.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I never had a problem with them growing up. I wasn't allowed on certain sites, and I wasn't allowed to talk on the phone at night, and I wasn't allowed to do it where my parents could not easily walk in on me.

The point is that usually people dislike these things when there is something to hide. I too am an EXTREMELY private person, and been known for totally flipping out on people for reading over my shoulder or going through my things.. but as a kid, you don't have those rights yet.. It sucks, but that's how it is. You find ways around it as best you can and deal with the rest until you're an adult.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Well my dad doesn't trust me with internet in my room but he used to be generally okay. My mums a complete worrier and an SJ i think :(.

I don't quite see eye to wit either of my parents to be honest.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Well my dad doesn't trust me with internet in my room but he used to be generally okay. My mums a complete worrier and an SJ i think :(.

I don't quite see eye to wit either of my parents to be honest.

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
This is something that I had never really came in contact with.

Up to the age of 14, the only real form of parental control I had was get home before 8, go to bed before 2am, Saturday = chore day, clean the second floor of the house and mow the lawn if its late spring/summer/early autumn.

After the age of 14 all of those were basically removed except the chore day.

No one ever even considered controlling my school work, friends, communications, tastes, ect... Hell I basically had unlimited uncontrolled internet access since primary school in my room, that is at the far end side of the second floor separated from every other room. I have never had any issues with privacy at all.

I did get the belt to the ass routine if I broke something I shouldn't have thought.

Anyway, be happy you have a chance to get used to any form of control or lack of privacy while you still can. Getting a roommate and sharing a room has become a living nightmare to me.