User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

I always observe how other people respond to their own environments before I adapt to them, more so with a new group of people. It's like weeding out personality clashes...
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    It's not Fe, Fe is concerned with appropriate behavior and judging/creating proper environments.
    Dude! Look at what you just wrote.

Additionally, I've never met an FJ who could compare with NP empathy. Especially proteanmix.
    'Kay. I went too far calling it "empathy". (But the other kids did first!)

What about the mimicry, mirroring chameleon thing?

garbage

I think you might be appropriating. Getting along with people is not mimicry. Nor empathy.
    You might be right. If I do appropriate when it comes to the environment and people around me, though, it's something that I don't think about. That is, I might internalize their concepts, judge them according to worth (with apparently relatively low standards), and adopt the worthy ones all within a split second for use within that particular environment.

It's quite possible that it's not the same as what you're describing as far as an internal process goes, but it seems to have about the same end result. I've noticed phenomenon such as adopting others' mannerisms even from just watching TV shows.. especially strong personalities such as House. My friends have also told me that I act differently around different people, and I don't even recognize it when it happens. Only when I'm thinking about it am I aware that it's occurring.

This might be a related concept, but less "temporary".. when it comes to core principles or ideas that I read or hear, I do tend to think about them and judge them before I adopt them. But then they seem to become a part of me rather quickly. Any idea I consciously or subconsciously judge as useful is collected and I act upon it as if it's a more permanent part of my personality. When I introduced myself to these forums, I really had no idea what my type was, and I kept changing it as I was introduced to different situations and people. It was almost as if I'd also read several type descriptions that fit me and found myself acting upon them before finally settling on my first impression.

In any case, whether or not I'm experiencing what you guys are.. it's a pretty interesting phenomenon. I wasn't aware that it was such a normal trait, and I do wonder where it comes from.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Dude! Look at what you just wrote.

'Kay. I went too far calling it "empathy". (But the other kids did first!)

What about the mimicry, mirroring chameleon thing?
    Well, it hasn't been my observation. I see Ps change (not all to the same degree) while Js stay the same, depending on context.

Perceivers are naturally more keen on adapting to whatever situation they've found themselves in, as opposed to sticking with the internal standards and standard behavior they trust.

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    You might be right. If I do appropriate when it comes to the environment and people around me, though, it's something that I don't think about. That is, I might internalize their concepts, judge them according to worth (with apparently relatively low standards), and adopt the worthy ones all within a split second for use within that particular environment.

It's quite possible that it's not the same as what you're describing as far as an internal process goes, but it seems to have about the same end result. I've noticed phenomenon such as adopting others' mannerisms even from just watching TV shows.. especially strong personalities such as House. My friends have also told me that I act differently around different people, and I don't even recognize it when it happens. Only when I'm thinking about it am I aware that it's occurring.

This might be a related concept, but less "temporary".. when it comes to core principles or ideas that I read or hear, I do tend to think about them and judge them before I adopt them. But then they seem to become a part of me rather quickly. Any idea I consciously or subconsciously judge as useful is collected and I act upon it as if it's a more permanent part of my personality. When I introduced myself to these forums, I really had no idea what my type was, and I kept changing it as I was introduced to different situations and people. It was almost as if I'd also read several type descriptions that fit me and found myself acting upon them before finally settling on my first impression.

In any case, whether or not I'm experiencing what you guys are.. it's a pretty interesting phenomenon. I wasn't aware that it was such a normal trait, and I do wonder where it comes from.
    To me, and I can't exactly get the full picture here, what it sounds like you're doing is self-improvement. I assume you don't mimic people you find nothing worthy or interesting about, which I can hardly help doing myself. It's like a subconscious desire to demonstrate no traits the other person doesn't have in order to blend in.

MBTI
    ENFP

I have to agree with you erina... I have been moistaken for many different types although I know that here I come across as VERY enfp... I think that any time that has empathy and adaptive personalities will fall into the trap..
    ... couldn't drag me away

Željko Ražnatovic: argus
    Željko Ražnatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Željko Ražnatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

again with the intp ego ?
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

[QUOTE=Jack Flak;499209]Well, it hasn't been my observation. I see Ps change (not all to the same degree) while Js stay the same, depending on context.
    ]

I'm sure this is true as a preference. Eventually though all people ,regardless of type, learn how to adapt. It is simply not efficient to do otherwise.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I'm sure this is true as a preference. Eventually though all people ,regardless of type, learn how to adapt. It is simply not efficient to do otherwise.
    Ja. Balancing. What we do naturally evolves into what's best to do per situation, over the years. Ps become hard when necessary, and Js become pliable when necessary.

garbage

To me, and I can't exactly get the full picture here, what it sounds like you're doing is self-improvement. I assume you don't mimic people you find nothing worthy or interesting about, which I can hardly help doing myself. It's like a subconscious desire to demonstrate no traits the other person doesn't have in order to blend in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Ah, now this makes sense. I'm much more prone to these behaviors, including empathy, than I used to be, whereas I imagine P's are more pliable at the forefront and then become more so later on. While my type obviously hasn't changed, I guess I found that it's more useful to assimilate the environment around me. While my internal judging faculty can be pretty strong, it's more relaxed in these sorts situations.. but probably not to the point of being a "full-blown P."

What you've been saying about this being an NP trait is probably right on the money.

My motto as of late, and one that I intend to maintain, has been that there's a time and a place for everything. This means that I'm developing new modes of thinking, learning from experience, and incorporating new ideas wherever possible, since I already have the ability to distinguish when and where they'll be useful.

MBTI
    INT-

I can fake sensing, feeling and extroversion. Essentially, you create a persona for yourself beforehand, commit your mind to it, quit thinking and go. Visibly people see you more as an ESF. Obviously my sensing abilities will never match those of a person who natively possesses it, but it's only a matter of outward appearance, not actual functionality.

As soon as it comes to dealing with people who know you and can read you, toss it out the window. Real friends will detect your insincerity. That's the thing...