User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

One intimate mental connection is wonderful. Beyond that, I enjoy exchanging ideas with a variety of people, but this interaction is often more intellectual than personal.

I'd make a happy hermit.

Without knowing more, I'd say that the OP sounds like projection. People have trouble identifying with detachment, and mistake the open-endedness for self doubt, insecurity, lack of self worth, and the like. They don't quite get how comfortable that open-endedness is, and how little of the self is invested in recognition, or a definite end result.

There is a certain predilection toward existential depression; this is not induced by a lack of people. Heck, most people make it worse.

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

I think it's a deeper, more lingering flavor of loneliness, that comes from a sense that there simply isn't anyone out there to connect with. It's like being the last person on Earth, every day, wherever you are.

Although more extraverted sorts may more easily become "lonely", it seems easily counteracted by feeding them people. For the INTP (judging both by myself and by several friends), that just makes the situation worse.

Ironically, I tend to feel least lonely when I'm alone, and can allow my mind to expand, like a balloon, to fill the space. That just leaves some superficial cavities unfilled, like having no one to throw one's arms around.

Anyway, one gets used to it. It all becomes a fact of existence, and one gets on with things.

The Internet helps immeasurably, I should note.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by A Schnitzel View Post
    I can be talking to people all day and still be lonely.
    This. Although, that hasn't happened recently. Looking back, this is more about what's going on for me than anything else. *tries to wrestle words into something coherent* I'm finding my recent interactions with people have a very different flavour than they did a year or so ago, regardless of whether they're people I know or random shop assistants. I'm more open, so others are open. Or something. Being seen and accepted is an antidote to loneliness. Deep connections likewise (although very rare).

/somewhat garbled
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Yes, there is that. I feel like it's been receding a bit as I've gotten older -- particularly the last year or so, since I've severed a horrible relationship and begun to reclaim myself a bit. It feels like people are far more liable to take me at face value now than they were even a few years ago -- which is probably a factor of me, and the way I present myself. Though I'm not quite sure what's different. At least, not so well that I can put my finger on it.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by groovejet02 View Post
    INFP forum, regarding INTPs:

Are INTPs more prone to loneliness than other types? Why? What should INTPs do to feel less lonely?
    To me boredom usually takes the place of loneliness. I don't really care if I have no friends, but it can be quite boring. The only other reason I care is cause it makes me look like an idiot. Otherwise I'm fine.

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

I don't know. I barely know boredom, as I've too many things overwhelming my mind at any moment. The only time I tend to feel particularly bored is when I'm with other people and thus unable to withdraw entirely and focus on anything in particular. Though I suppose, taken what I've said above, it does somewhat tie in with loneliness. Again, when I'm by myself I've the freedom not to be quite so bothered.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    To me boredom usually takes the place of loneliness. I don't really care if I have no friends, but it can be quite boring. The only other reason I care is cause it makes me look like an idiot. Otherwise I'm fine.
    QFT. Though I don't know about the idiot part. Do you mean that you don't like how it reflects on you when others are made aware of the fact that you have no friends? If so, then I also agree. Back during the period of my life where I had no friends at all, I used to hate my parents calling me and telling me that I should call a friend and go do something at such and such a place.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

At my first thought I don't think I'd mind being alone. On the other hand, I like to be able to have someone to relate to and fall back on because I'm not completely confident in myself. Also, I feel motivated by the comfort factor of having a relationship of someone who can say things to make me feel better if I'm feeling down.

It's completely selfish of me.

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Not Loneliness, per se, just feeling lonely. I always have a tendency to do this around friends. I kind of feel that I'm disconnected from the world.

MBTI
    ENTj
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTj

I just wish there was someone in the room with me who never spoke or anything.They just sat there so that just in case I actually decide to want human contact there is someone there. I think that would be perfect.

In all seriousness though, I get lonely all the time despite my need to be alone a lot of the time. It's annoying. I love to be around people, but it can be so exhausting.
    ENTJ LIE
    3w4 sp/sx
    3w4(4w5)-5w6(6w7)-9w8(1w9)