User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default "Why do you hate me?"

How are you supposed to answer this question?

Particularly when you don't really like the person asking.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

"I don't hate you, I just don't get you"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Perhaps answer honestly?
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Because I am allergic to your pheromones, and think you smell like rotten fruit.

Or, because I think you are the devil incarnate.

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    Perhaps answer honestly?
    You know, normally I would, but this is a situation where answering honestly makes me risk, well, being fed, having a roof over my head, etc.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

you're supposed to tell them the truth. You don't like this part of their behavior because this and this affects you this way and therefore it makes you uncomfortable. Never use the word 'you', always say I, and keep the feedback to specific behavior and don't generalize it so it becomes a personal attack. Allow for a reaction. Find a solution together. (I'm not making this up, these are actually the feedback rules from the f**ing manual )
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    You know, normally I would, but this is a situation where answering honestly makes me risk, well, being fed, having a roof over my head, etc.
    So..it's a family member? hm well then i can understand why it would be hard to answer honestly. My stepmother asked me the same question a few years ago. I'm pretty sure i said "it's not that i HATE you...you just aren't my favorite person"

it was a lie, i hate her.

still the truth may work, as long as you are..nice? about it.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I've been asked this a few times, but, it's never the people I hate that ask it.

Since it's someone you don't want to offend, I would say just reply with something like "why do you think that?" and then try to play down whatever reason(s) they give you.

MBTI
    INTP

Oh, wow, just seeing this title made me cringe a LOT. No one should ever ask this question of you in the first place. It's annoying and whiny. Grrr.

That said, if it's a parent, I wouldn't acknowledge that you actually do hate them, if you do. They probably don't think you actually hate them; they're probably just being dramatic, and then getting an answer would crush them.

I'd probably try and turn it around a bit and say, "Why would you ask me something like that?"
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFP

I remember going through this with my kids. (Well, actually I remember going this this with my own parents also. But they would have never asked a non-question like that. The issue would have never been discussed at all.) From my perspective what that question is saying is, "I wish we could have an honest discussion about why you aren't more loving toward me?" I'd see it as a clumsy attempt to stay connected in a positive way.

Not sure if that's what's happening for you. It sounds manipulative as though it obligates you to "be good."

I'm trying to remember what feelings were under the thought that my children hated me. And they did, in times of anger, say that to me.

First one is that I had failed them. I had wanted to help my kids grow up to be contented and well-adjusted people and instead they seemed angry and rebellious. And ungrateful for all the sacrifices I had made to provide for them.

So I think there was some neediness on my part to be recognized as a loving and devoted parent at that time.

Maybe there's some inability to initiate the conversation about why you appear angry to them? Guessing here.

It's touchy stuff. And it's basic. You're supposed to be detaching physically from them and they're supposed to be learning how to let you go. Hard work. Especially hard when probably both sides want to keep a sense of appreciation of the other.

One of my children had borderline characteristics and the only way she knew how, at that stage of her life, to separate from people was to get angry with them and split in a huff. Ouch! For both parents and children.

Does any of that help?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer