• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs and pop culture

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
TV: I prefer series with story arc focus, strong characters and psychological focus. I am a sucker for highly intelligent characters. My absolute favorite series are Battlestar Galactica, Dexter and Prison Break (two first seasons). I would also like to mention the anime Death Note. I have a broad taste though, and I have seen all episodes of for example Sex and the City, Grey's Anatomy, Gilmore Girls... Strong series as well. Not a fan of crime series though, but that could just be a language thing, I find them difficult to follow without subtitles.

Movies: Very broad taste. Again a sucker for intelligent characters though, so among my very favorite movies are Amadeus and Good Will Hunting. I usually prefer modern movies though, although I just recently saw Psycho and Rear Window by Hitchcock, both of which were brilliant, and very psychological, to my taste. It's almost easier to ask what I don't like, and I guess I am not a huge action fan. Of course I love many action movies, but action without the psychological element being quite prominent is usually boring. The Godfather I & II are among my absolute favorite movies, but otherwise I am not too fond of mafia films, and I wasn't particularly impressed by Goodfellas, for example. A few unmentioned favorites are Léon, American Beauty, Amélie, Requiem for a Dream, Pan's Labyrinth, Oldboy, Kill Bill, Little Miss Sunshine, Before Sunrise/Sunset, WALL·E, Fight Club, The Silence of the Lambs, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Shawshank Redemption, Forrest Gump, A Clockwork Orange, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Sin City, V for Vendetta, Mononoke-hime, Edward Scissorhands. There is just too much, isn't there?

Books: Not huge on reading, but mostly some sci-fi and fantasy.

Anentropic IxTx

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I most enjoy the thought-provoking science-fiction type, as well as good mysteries.

MBTI Type
INxJ
TV: I prefer shows that focus on reaching a conclusion (plot driven), as opposed to dynamics of interpersonal relationships (character driven). I rarely watch this form of media, consistently. Yet, I've seen all of House so far.

Movies: Harry Potter to Fight Club. I have varied taste here.

Books: Anything I'm interested in. No discernible pattern. I primarily read to learn.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I get some sort of joy out of watching Law and Order for some odd reason... I think that it comes from the whole justice aspect of seeing someone actually get in trouble for thier crimes :rolleyes:

Me too :blush:

My safety switch blew about a month ago taking all my electronics with it into the melted abyss, haven’t bothered to hook up a spare TV I have since that’s how much I care about watching it. I have however been unable to wait for compensation in regards to my CD player, that was replaced pretty quickly. When I do bother with TV I prefer to watch comedy, Si-Fi or crime series with movies I like suspense thrillers, classics or comedy. Haven’t found a good book in a while but I like mystery/fantasy (and no, not that kind) or the classics.

groovejet02

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm especially fond of French movies (even though I don't speak French), and world cinema in general, such as Iranian movies. Serious topics interest me -- abortion, war, homosexuality, etc.

I have an almost-debilitating infatuation on Mlle Deneuve, and love her amazing body of work such as The Last Metro (by Francois Truffaut), Les Voleurs (Andre Techine), My Favorite Season (again, Techine)

I'm one of the few INTPs who hates science fiction.

I love reality reflected in cinema more than anything, which also shows in my penchant for documentaries.

I don't really watch television, unless it's for news (Al Jazeera English is tops in my book), BBC and all that -- again, documentaries. I used to watch a bunch of junk such as ANTM and E! -- and sometimes I fall into lapses -- but I've mostly kicked that habit. The Sopranos and Six Feet Under are rare examples of television brilliance, but that was HBO anyway, not exactly the trashy, pedestrian stuff.

I used to pride myself in being a ferocious reader but now my reading habits has slacked a little. But, I love feminist titles and recently, to kick my reading habit back into gear, I purchased Naomi Klein's 'The Shock Doctrine' and Carl Jung's 'Man and His Symbols'.

My taste in music covers the classic fundamentals (Beatles, Bob Dylan, Velvet Underground, The Kinks, etc) to the "postmodern" (Bjork) to the cheesy hits of the sixties such as The Ronettes and The Beach Boys.

;)

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Fiction in movies
Realism/reality in books
Anything really good on TV or music.

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Movies: Hm, I think I mostly enjoy all those action-genres. Also thriller / drama, horror. Comedy can be entertaining too.
The problem is that lately, whenever I wanted to watch a movie, I have become bored sometimes, because the movie was quite "dull" and I could exactly tell how it would continue and end. That spoiled the fun quite a bit.

Books: I like all the books that teach you something. Mostly psychology or fact books / specialized books. Whatever can teach me something new and will make me think.
However, I do have a very few fiction ones. Mostly books from tv shows I like(d) or so.

TV Series: Heh, yeah this is easy. The ones I like are about real life problems mixed with some other stuff. If I take Scrubs as an example, we have "real life meets hospital". I always like how they show everything from JDs view and how he always uses some sayings or something in the end. Often I just sit there and go "Oh, yeah I know that". It is very interesting for me to see how "others" deal with problems; especially if it is problems I also had or have.
Then we got Supernatural (real life meets mythology, hoodoo etc and family), Malcolm in the middle (real life meets chaos, comedy and family), Charmed (again: real life meets mythology and family), Moonlight (guess: real life meets mythology)...you get the idea.

All in all I can say that it is mostly stuff that either teaches me something or shows problems I had or currently have. It is some sort of inspiration. It all makes me think a lot.
Oh and I am not too much into superrandom stuff. You know, where you sit there in the end and go "Okay so...what was the sense here again?"

Now I can't tell how INTJ-typical this is. but who cares. :D

Eirhead

MBTI Type
INT-
Movies: Very broad, as long as the story is interesting and the acting isn't god-awful, I can sit through it.

TV: Comedy and Sports mostly.

Books: I can count on my digits how many fictional books I've read in my lifetime.

Music: Absolutely everything (almost), music is my passion!

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
TV: I never watch tv.

Books: Only non-fiction, mostly technical books.

Music: I absolutely love trashy dance, euro-pop, eurotrash, manele, anything which is considered as very cheap and bad taste but that has a catchy melody and rythm (of course, I also like more tasteful types of music, but everybody is surprised by the fact that I also enjoy the very pop part).

SurlyAdam

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I haven't watched TV in years, so no sitcoms... I do watch movies occasionally, but it's more than just watching the movie. I like to think about and appreciate what it took to create it, and focus on and find amusement in the pieces that make up the whole. There are so many moments in a great movie to think about and notice.

Recently, I thought Grindhouse was uniquely entertaining. This was a movie made simply because those involved love making movies. There is nothing redeeming or meaningful in this film. It's simply a movie, full if cheese and cliches just for the sake of it. On the other hand, watching Amélie was like looking at slide film on a light table. The colors were brilliant and intentional and the story made me want to challenge someone to fall in love with me. Coen brothers, Kubrick, Gilliam, etc... Brilliant!

Mostly though, I suppose I'd prefer to listening to Dylan in the dark while I plot and plan.

Jwill

MBTI Type
INTJ
I like Sci-fi the best as a genre, but I don't read/watch it exclusively. I love things that go into a "what if" scenario like the Twilight Zone and X-files.

If I watch sitcoms, they have to be really smart ones or really unique ones. I hate the sitcoms that are about the typical American family, like Yes, dear or Everybody Loves Raymond. Ewww. I like Arrested Development, occasional eps of The Office...

I hate, hate, hate, hate reality TV. A LOT. It's one of the worst forms of entertainment imaginable. All about people getting emotional and stabbing each other in the back... Oh, I also hate gratuitous documentaries. You know, pop documentaries. The history of the Coca Cola bottle or just about anything on the history channel (it's usually WWII stuff, anyway).

For movies, I like horror, suspense, and thriller/action flicks. I abhor romantic/comedies. Indie comedies are great, though.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ that's funny...it is kinda sad haha

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Haha you NTs have much more of a stomach toward stuff like horror and shockers, my INTP friend took me to see saw 3 and I literally ran out in the first 15 minutes. It was horrible and I had nightmares about it. :sad:

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
Haha you NTs have much more of a stomach toward stuff like horror and shockers, my INTP friend took me to see saw 3 and I literally ran out in the first 15 minutes. It was horrible and I had nightmares about it. :sad:

*whispers in the kitties ear*

It's not actually real.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ i can't watch much of it anymore either black cat person...i have nightmares too...i hate it.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
*whispers in the kitties ear*

It's not actually real.

I know it isn't real... But it looks sooooo real.

I walked out when that chick had those metal things in her ribs and had to get the key out of acid. It was just a bit too brutal for me. The sizzle of her skin... *shiver*