User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Horror sucks because it's never horrifying.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    Do you (other NTs) have any specific genre tastes in TV, movies, books etc.? I've always loved post apocalyptic scenarios, and I think this is because the part of me that is deeply pleased by organizing! and planning! loves to wonder what I would do and how I would do it etc.
    I was a Trek nut throughout the 90's and loved to read fantasy (and a bit of scifi) growing up in the 70's and 80's. I also liked some horror stuff.

I've shifted away from TV and most of the genre-laden stuff now in the last ten years; Trek seems formulaic; if I had more time, I'd watch more TV since the shows seem better (I stuck with Lost for a few seasons).

I also like witty humor that still has some depth, like The Simpsons.

I've also always hated sitcoms. Some were good but most were torture.
    Most sitcoms were horrible, but there have been ones over the years that I enjoyed immensely (e.g., MASH, Taxi, Cheers, Seinfeld).

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Horror sucks because it's never horrifying.
    Good horror is psychological in origin, not based on gimmick (although I'm seen some things that have creeped me out). Those who just try to raise the bar on shock value usually bore me.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I don't care for sitcoms usually unless they are good (although I do like series such as The Sopranos, Californication and In Therapy). Arrested Development, The Simpsons, South Park are/were exceptions. Si-Fi I usually don't care for but I will watch some. I love most all movie genres with the exception of horror. Most of it is bad. So. Bad. Psychological thrillers are much different and if they are good I like them. Channels such as Discovery, History and Nat. Geographic as well as sports are what I watch the majority of the time.

As far as books, I do read some non-fiction but usually prefer non-fiction.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I get some sort of joy out of watching Law and Order for some odd reason... I think that it comes from the whole justice aspect of seeing someone actually get in trouble for thier crimes I also love Futurama, Family Guy, Robot Chicken and Psych. My pop culture whore streak drives me to watch and love things like What Not to Wear and Flavas of Love and the Pickup Artist as well *hangs head in shame*

As for movies, I either like indie films, movies that make you think (i.e. Traffic) or really dumb movies that make me happy

Books? I pretty much read anything because I am a compulsive reader
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I get some sort of joy out of watching Law and Order for some odd reason... I think that it comes from the whole justice aspect of seeing someone actually get in trouble for thier crimes I also love Futurama, Family Guy, Robot Chicken and Psych. My pop culture whore streak drives me to watch and love things like What Not to Wear and Flavas of Love and the Pickup Artist as well *hangs head in shame*

As for movies, I either like indie films, movies that make you think (i.e. Traffic) or really dumb movies that make me happy

Books? I pretty much read anything because I am a compulsive reader
    In Burges. I watched it a few nights ago. I really loved it. But I'll watch Blades of Glory every time it's on too because it's stupid and funny.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    ... Channels such as Discovery, History and Nat. Geographic ...
    That + Tru is what I usually watch, if anything, now on TV.

I prefer reading psychology, philosophy, sociology, cultural studies, anthropology, spirituality/religion, etc., if anything nowadays.

I think when I was young I used books to give me a sense of options in the world and stretch. Now since I am implementing my own projects and acting on the world (rather than just taking it in), i need hard data to prime the creative pump.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

TV: Mythbusters, Braniac and sometimes House used to watch Star trek, Simpsons and futurama, still watch them if it happens to be on, but I don't go out of my way to look at the anymore. Tend to like comedians a lot, I love Rowan Atkinson as Mr.Bean.

I like the Mezzo channel for some awkward reason, I also to "watch" it a lot as well as the explorer, history, discovery, national geographic but usually it's mostly for the purpose of "background noise".

Movies: Can't stand the comedies, dramas, romance shit and the like. I like good detectives, Sci-fi ones, thought It's rare for me to watch them anyways.

Books: I'm a fan of Sci-fi to a point. I love space operas as well as detectives.

MBTI
    INTP

TV/Movies: A huge amount of anime, of all sorts. My favorites are Death Note, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, and Tenchi Muyo. I also watch a lot of documentaries on the History channel about everything from military history to UFO investigations. And then of course there's the occasional miscellaneous show such as Futurama, Family Guy, The Twilight Zone, The Office, or Battlestar Galactica

Books: When I was a kid I read as many classics as I could find but was especially interested in the Legend of King Arthur (to the point where I read Le Morte D'Arthur). My favorite books were, and still are, sci-fi/fantasy. Nowadays I spend a lot of time reading manga, books on quantum physics, and have started reading some philosophy.
    Hands in the air, it's a robbery.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Fantasia was by far my favorite movie as a little kid
    Ooh, me too! Still, by far, my favourite Disney movie evah.

I don't have a TV (not out of puritanism - it broke a few years ago, I never replaced it, and now if I want to watch something I can find it online) but I find cheap, manipulative TV shows fun and relaxing. Survivor? Bring it on. Watching shows like that are like giving my brain a nice rest.

I agree on the horror movie comments, too. Why DO all horror movies seem to suck rocks these days? Can anyone recommend a genuinely scary movie - and yes, psychological scares are much more effective than straight up gore.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    I agree on the horror movie comments, too. Why DO all horror movies seem to suck rocks these days? Can anyone recommend a genuinely scary movie - and yes, psychological scares are much more effective than straight up gore.
    99% of horror movies DO suck. It's by far the genre that has the lowest hit-to-miss ratio. It's cheaper to make a gorefest with no name actors and a bad story than to write a good script that's actually scary and hire good actors to be in it. And the gorefests NEVER lose money...so that's the real reason. Horror movies suck because there is little incentive for them to be good.

Here's a few genuinely scary movies I like, only some of which are strictly "horror movies": Alien, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Nosferatu (the 1922 one), Jaws, Misery, The Exorcist (surprisingly, I prefer the "updated" Exorcist. They added some good but subtle effects.)
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari