First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I think it might be a misapplication of the word.
    Hence my failure to understand it, and subsequent need to say so (although that might in all honesty have been motivated by my irritation at his choice of font). But maybe he has an explanation that I totally missed, so...
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I'm having a hard time understanding how the claim that INTPs are particularly interested in math/science is synechdochical.
    A synecdoche is a trope usually used to denote a whole by referencing a part; "All hands (sailors) on deck" is an example that is frequently heard, and many would be familiar with. I would say that the claim that INTPs are drawn to the hard sciences and mathematics is a denotation of a totality of complex subjects, that would consist of almost innumerable subjects, and their various subdisciplines, of which the hard sciences and mathematics are a part.

EDIT: Of course, the "parts" may actually be symbols/representatives/examples, and so forth, of complex subjects. I find either reading plausible.

MBTI
    ENTP

yea, i studied engineering, but i am horrible with money (at least my own business, lol)

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    A synecdoche is a trope usually used to denote a whole by referencing a part; "All hands (sailors) on deck" is an example that is frequently heard, and many would be familiar with. I would say that the claim that INTPs are drawn to the hard sciences and mathematics is a denotation of a totality of complex subjects, that would consist of almost innumerable subjects, and their various subdisciplines, of which the hard sciences and mathematics are a part.
    I know what a synechdoche is, as per my last few posts. I think I understand what you're saying, though. The use of the words "mathematics" and "hard sciences" to describe the interests of INTPs is using a part to describe the whole of the INTPs interests, of which any number of disciplines outside of specifically math or science may be included. Gotcha.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I know what a synechdoche is, as per my last few posts. I think I understand what you're saying, though. The use of the words "mathematics" and "hard sciences" to describe the interests of INTPs is using a part to describe the whole of the INTPs interests, of which any number of disciplines outside of specifically math or science may be included. Gotcha.
    It's not a figure of speech in this case though. Now I know what it means, watch out everybody.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

It's not a figure of speech in this case though. Now I know what it means, watch out everybody.
    Yeah I know, because I think the authors of the type descriptions pretty literally meant the hard science and math disciplines, in their specific sense.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Honestly, I find basic math concepts a bit more challenging than say, broader concepts, dealing with physics and such. If you know what I'm saying..
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INTP

Now I know what it means, watch out everybody.
    Merisms are all the more fun.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    Merisms are all the more fun.
    I've run the thought back and forth through my mind, and I've concluded that you're obviously posting drunk after rhetoric class.

MBTI
    INTP

I've run the thought back and forth through my mind, and I've concluded that you're obviously posting drunk after rhetoric class.
    Indeed. I have been hitting the bottle- metonymy, incidentally.