User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default Transforming an NT

These questions may be kinda vague, but I hope someone well versed in typology can give me some answers. Can a very difficult and stressful childhood coupled with a response of emotional suppression and any other number of environmental and internal factors actually mold one into a different type (such as a thinker instead of a feeler, or I instead of E)? If so, does that mean that what we were before is still our most "natural" way of functioning, our true type, or are we forever changed? This is assuming that we start out very very early in life with a definite type preference. I guess I'm wondering, if one is forced to carry extreme burdens in the stage of life when we are rapidly developing our personalities and developing our sense of self, how much of an effect can that have on transforming our personalities, and is there any going back?

MBTI
    INFP

I'm interested in this question too, but I don't really have any sure answers. My guess is that it would more likely affect a person's level of neuroticism the most though, which isn't measurable by MBTI.

MBTI
    INTP

At the risk of placing my head between your frightening ursine teeth...No.

What you are is how you grow to view the world. I would assume a better opportunity to alter that world view later in life than earlier.

Oh wait, those may be canines. My apologies.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    These questions may be kinda vague, but I hope someone well versed in typology can give me some answers. Can a very difficult and stressful childhood coupled with a response of emotional suppression and any other number of environmental and internal factors actually mold one into a different type (such as a thinker instead of a feeler, or I instead of E)? If so, does that mean that what we were before is still our most "natural" way of functioning, our true type, or are we forever changed? This is assuming that we start out very very early in life with a definite type preference. I guess I'm wondering, if one is forced to carry extreme burdens in the stage of life when we are rapidly developing our personalities and developing our sense of self, how much of an effect can that have on transforming our personalities, and is there any going back?
    It's possible... the end question has always been "how do you tell if that's what happened?" It's not as if you can go back in time and undo everything to see if there's a change in personality or not.

Functional development for me personally has always been influenced by experiences. So you can be like another type if you're stressed.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

Am I right in assuming you don't want to be an INTP?

Bottom line:
    YOU CAN BE WHOEVER THE FU.K YOU WANT TO BE. Don't let a theory hold you back.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Unfortunately, we can't do experiments like this on humans (yet), so we dunno for sure whether someone is a "hard-wired" introvert or otherwise

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I see the reverse. I think being INTP can cause problems growing up. Introversion helps, and being intelligent yet unwise, and unconcerned with social norms can get you into serious trouble. Takes one a while to find one's way, and function as built.

Figure out you enneagram. There is a pretty wide range of behaviours within most personality types.

The more you explore all this stuff, the more clear you will be about your answers on the tests also. If you have mistyped, it would be because your childhood stops you following what is at your core, not because it has changed it.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Well, my question was not asked from the perspective of one who doesn't know his own type, or who faces any ambiguity and uncertainty. I merely asked it out of curiosity...