• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What excites you? What do you wish people would talk about with you?

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
I was wondering, what ideas or subjects do you find exciting and if there are any you are particularly interested in and passionate about?

Do you get frustrated or feel alone in your passion and wish more people were interested in it or interested in discussing it?

Also, do you prefer in your conversations to learn from someone more knowledgable then you on a subject you are passionate about and do more listening or do you prefer to teach someone who is less knowledgable in a subject you are passionate about and do most of the talking?

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
My immediate, shallow answer would be "Cricket and Tom Waits". Alas, these have proven themselves to be solitary, shameful passions of mine.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I like to talk about those things that are my hobbies. I get very animated; I've been told sometimes I'll even lisp.

As well, ideally, I like to talk about nutrition and health but discussions on these two subjects frustrate and often infuriate me because of the prevailing low-fat-cardio-your-ass-off-starvation dogma. :steam: :doh: But the chance of helping someone and /or finding a like minded soul leads me back again and again.

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
I like to talk about those things that are my hobbies. I get very animated; I've been told sometimes I'll even lisp.

As well, ideally, I like to talk about nutrition and health but discussions on these two subjects frustrate and often infuriate me because of the prevailing low-fat-cardio-your-ass-off-starvation dogma. :steam: :doh: But the chance of helping someone and /or finding a like minded soul leads me back again and again.

low-fat-cardio-your-ass-off-starvation dogma? Care to ellaborate?
What about nutrition and health do you like and or are passionate about and what is your philosophy on it or approach to it?

O

Oberon

Instead of cardio-ing your ass off, you can do anaerobic exercise in lots of short bursts...stuff like hill sprints, calisthenics, and wrestling workouts. This will only make you thinner if you're actually overweight...if you're in your proper weight range it justs makes you stronger, firmer, more energetic, and more flexible.

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
low-fat-cardio-your-ass-off-starvation dogma? Care to ellaborate?

Better judgement tells me to say "NO", but as I admitted above... I can't resist.

To 'lose weight' - which is another issue I have (you want to lose FAT not weight) - advice today is "eat less fat, drink / eat sugar free frankenfoods, lots and lots of cardio and develop some willpower". A guaranteed recipe for disaster. I suspect the only way to make it more likely to fail would be to add "get a job at a bakery".

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Another thread just reminded me of this.

How to handle their finances better. Seriously. I don't care if I'm being taught or I'm teaching someone else but there is nothing more pure than talking about financial matters.

I feel alone just because most people are too scared to look at their own finances and talk about it. It's always a dismissive attitude along the lines of "I don't worry about that", or some random other theory that makes no sense.

(Some people play sports. I make spreadsheets. Some people talk about sports. I talk about spreadsheet models.)

O

Oberon

(Some people play sports. I make spreadsheets. Some people talk about sports. I talk about spreadsheet models.)

You know what's one of the tougher spreadsheets I've ever tried to build?

A simple time card.

I wanted to see what my pay for any given week ought to be, so I figured I'd build a spreadsheet to calculate it. I'd let Excel do the adding and subtracting of hours and minutes...might as well let the computer do the work...and calculate the week's pay based on the flat rate and the total hours worked.

The thing that flummoxed me was overtime. I make OT for anything over 40 hours per week, and anything over 8 hours per day. So if I work 9 hours on Monday and a total of 38 hours all week, I get 37 hours of straight pay and one hour of OT (time and a half), the one hour being the extra hour I worked on Monday.

For any given hour during the week, my rate of pay depends on a) how many hours I've worked prior to that hour during the week, and b) how many hours I've worked prior to that hour during the day.

I started to program it in but soon lost myself in a confusing maze of conditionals. It was frustrating. How would you do it?

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I wanted to see what my pay for any given week ought to be, so I figured I'd build a spreadsheet to calculate it. I'd let Excel do the adding and subtracting of hours and minutes...might as well let the computer do the work...and calculate the week's pay based on the flat rate and the total hours worked.

The thing that flummoxed me was overtime. I make OT for anything over 40 hours per week, and anything over 8 hours per day. So if I work 9 hours on Monday and a total of 38 hours all week, I get 37 hours of straight pay and one hour of OT (time and a half), the one hour being the extra hour I worked on Monday.

For any given hour during the week, my rate of pay depends on a) how many hours I've worked prior to that hour during the week, and b) how many hours I've worked prior to that hour during the day.

I started to program it in but soon lost myself in a confusing maze of conditionals. It was frustrating. How would you do it?

Shouldn't be too hard. I'd recommend using a hierarchal model, where you pass parsed information up (essentially, following the rules from one step to the next) rather than trying to create it flat (build the rules directly upon the data).

I don't know if you clock in and out - are you entering specific times? Are they split?... and is the logic that if you work 20 hours 2 days a week, you'd get paid OT in 12 of each of those days, but if you worked 2 hours the next day, that'd be at OT? What if you worked 10 hours the next day, would it be 8 at OT and 2 at Double OT?

If you are really curious, I could probably create the spreadsheet in about 15 minutes, given those rules, and send it to you.

O

Oberon

Shouldn't be too hard. I'd recommend using a hierarchal model, where you pass parsed information up (essentially, following the rules from one step to the next) rather than trying to create it flat (build the rules directly upon the data).

I don't know if you clock in and out - are you entering specific times? Are they split?... and is the logic that if you work 20 hours 2 days a week, you'd get paid OT in 12 of each of those days, but if you worked 2 hours the next day, that'd be at OT? What if you worked 10 hours the next day, would it be 8 at OT and 2 at Double OT?

If you are really curious, I could probably create the spreadsheet in about 15 minutes, given those rules, and send it to you.

I do clock in and out, and I was noting the exact times for the purposes of the spreadsheet. I'm granted an automatic half-hour (unpaid) lunch if I don't clock out at midday, but if I *do* clock out and in again for lunch I'm charged the exact amount of time that I'm gone.

There's no double OT to my knowledge. Further, though I may be in OT territory by both criteria, that doesn't increase my rate of pay over regular OT.

if you work 20 hours 2 days a week, you'd get paid OT in 12 of each of those days, but if you worked 2 hours the next day, that'd be at OT?

That is correct.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP

Hellbourn3

MBTI Type
INFJ
I generally like discussing the MBTI, (no surprise there) some comics and/or characters w/in those universes I follow, my favorite authors, my favorite music, gaming, and any other esoteric hobbies I have (which are rather myriad in nature). I like to come off unique in my prospects of interest which is why I discuss so much that I know w/in those realms.

As far as the latter question goes, I generally like to teach others some of the knowledge I possess. Generally I tend to regret this when my friends are already into what I am to some extent and then with my help they tend to surpass me... Ha ha....

heart

heart on fire
Facing the shadow in humanity and ourselves.

Symbolism and how advertising and media uses symbolism, color and tone to communicate directly with the reptilian and mammalian parts of our brains and how this affects us and our decisions.

Period piece movies.

Social and cultural history.

Left brain/right brain type stuff.

The weaknesses of Ego and how ego can be used as a backdoor into our psyche and can be used to infuence us to act in ways other than in our best interests.

There are probably more, but my brain is tired today and I can't think all that well...I might add to this later.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sorry this post is so lousy, I cannot seem to get my head around things right now... :(

But anyhoo, things I am passionate about:

1. Psychological and spiritual growth. I love to watch people grow and mature, and I love to be in a position where I can help them -- whether it is just by encouraging them when they want to quit or providing insight when they are confused and unsure of what to do next. Who we are as individuals, what human beings are, and who we might become -- all of those things are mysterious but patterns still exist, and it just intrigues me so much how we work and develop.

2. Books and imagination.

3. The creation of art, the act of creation.

Topics of interest?
1. Psychology
2. Philosophy
3. Religion & Spirituality
4. Cultural development
5. Gender issues/influences
6. General science
7. Fantasy
8. Dinosaurs
9. Sharks
10. Crime / Good & Evil
11. Mythology
12. Music performance and composition
13. Writing
14. Biking
15. Hiking
16. Tolkien
17. Humor / Cartoons / Animation

... and the list goes on and on, my interests leap all over the place.

As far as teaching / being taught goes, I enjoy both. I enjoy picking someone's brain who is more knowledgeable than me, and I also enjoy sharing what I know with others and seeing what they come out of it with and perhaps what insights they might be able to give back.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I generally like to find out what a person is passionate about and see if I can get them to talk about it. I have a good conversation and pick their brain at the same time.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Get me started, but don't expect me to stick to a subject...

MBTI Type
INTJ
I find myself eager to talk about subjects that have a definite answer, but one that we'll never deduce. I'm a big fan of absolute truth. I believe there is an answer for everything, whether or not we're capable of figuring it out.

My two favorite topics for discussion fall into this category, and are actually intertwined. One is cosmology...I'm fascinated by the idea of a prime mover, and whether the idea of God is more likely to be true than not. The other is the nature of love...whether altruism and romantic love are things that the human race have been blessed with, or whether they are biological constructs that have nothing to do with a soul.

And believe it or not, I've never taken an illicit drug :)

O

Oberon

I find myself eager to talk about subjects that have a definite answer, but one that we'll never deduce. I'm a big fan of absolute truth. I believe there is an answer for everything, whether or not we're capable of figuring it out.

Okay, then.

Ginger, or Mary Ann?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I actually try to avoid taking to people about my interests. When I discover that someone has a similar interest as I do, the possibility that they may know more about it than I do makes me insanely jealous. In addition, when someone shares my interests, I no longer feel like an individual.

Ironically, I do not have that same anxiety over the Internet. Maybe it's because I don't get the feeling that I'm talking directly to people. I'm more like communicating with an author -- and it's not the author you're interested in or admire, it's the information s(he) has.

But being directly confronted with someone who is as smart or smarter than me makes me feel inferior.