User Tag List

123 Last

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Default What excites you? What do you wish people would talk about with you?

I was wondering, what ideas or subjects do you find exciting and if there are any you are particularly interested in and passionate about?

Do you get frustrated or feel alone in your passion and wish more people were interested in it or interested in discussing it?

Also, do you prefer in your conversations to learn from someone more knowledgable then you on a subject you are passionate about and do more listening or do you prefer to teach someone who is less knowledgable in a subject you are passionate about and do most of the talking?
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

MBTI
    INFP

My immediate, shallow answer would be "Cricket and Tom Waits". Alas, these have proven themselves to be solitary, shameful passions of mine.

MBTI
    INTJ

I like to talk about those things that are my hobbies. I get very animated; I've been told sometimes I'll even lisp.

As well, ideally, I like to talk about nutrition and health but discussions on these two subjects frustrate and often infuriate me because of the prevailing low-fat-cardio-your-ass-off-starvation dogma. :steam: But the chance of helping someone and /or finding a like minded soul leads me back again and again.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    I like to talk about those things that are my hobbies. I get very animated; I've been told sometimes I'll even lisp.

As well, ideally, I like to talk about nutrition and health but discussions on these two subjects frustrate and often infuriate me because of the prevailing low-fat-cardio-your-ass-off-starvation dogma. :steam: But the chance of helping someone and /or finding a like minded soul leads me back again and again.
    low-fat-cardio-your-ass-off-starvation dogma? Care to ellaborate?
    What about nutrition and health do you like and or are passionate about and what is your philosophy on it or approach to it?
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

Oberon

Instead of cardio-ing your ass off, you can do anaerobic exercise in lots of short bursts...stuff like hill sprints, calisthenics, and wrestling workouts. This will only make you thinner if you're actually overweight...if you're in your proper weight range it justs makes you stronger, firmer, more energetic, and more flexible.

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ladypinkington View Post
    low-fat-cardio-your-ass-off-starvation dogma? Care to ellaborate?
    Better judgement tells me to say "NO", but as I admitted above... I can't resist.

To 'lose weight' - which is another issue I have (you want to lose FAT not weight) - advice today is "eat less fat, drink / eat sugar free frankenfoods, lots and lots of cardio and develop some willpower". A guaranteed recipe for disaster. I suspect the only way to make it more likely to fail would be to add "get a job at a bakery".

Really.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
    Ouch! Hey!

Really.

MBTI
    ISTP

Another thread just reminded me of this.

How to handle their finances better. Seriously. I don't care if I'm being taught or I'm teaching someone else but there is nothing more pure than talking about financial matters.

I feel alone just because most people are too scared to look at their own finances and talk about it. It's always a dismissive attitude along the lines of "I don't worry about that", or some random other theory that makes no sense.

(Some people play sports. I make spreadsheets. Some people talk about sports. I talk about spreadsheet models.)

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    (Some people play sports. I make spreadsheets. Some people talk about sports. I talk about spreadsheet models.)
    You know what's one of the tougher spreadsheets I've ever tried to build?

A simple time card.

I wanted to see what my pay for any given week ought to be, so I figured I'd build a spreadsheet to calculate it. I'd let Excel do the adding and subtracting of hours and minutes...might as well let the computer do the work...and calculate the week's pay based on the flat rate and the total hours worked.

The thing that flummoxed me was overtime. I make OT for anything over 40 hours per week, and anything over 8 hours per day. So if I work 9 hours on Monday and a total of 38 hours all week, I get 37 hours of straight pay and one hour of OT (time and a half), the one hour being the extra hour I worked on Monday.

For any given hour during the week, my rate of pay depends on a) how many hours I've worked prior to that hour during the week, and b) how many hours I've worked prior to that hour during the day.

I started to program it in but soon lost myself in a confusing maze of conditionals. It was frustrating. How would you do it?

MBTI
    ISTP

I wanted to see what my pay for any given week ought to be, so I figured I'd build a spreadsheet to calculate it. I'd let Excel do the adding and subtracting of hours and minutes...might as well let the computer do the work...and calculate the week's pay based on the flat rate and the total hours worked.

The thing that flummoxed me was overtime. I make OT for anything over 40 hours per week, and anything over 8 hours per day. So if I work 9 hours on Monday and a total of 38 hours all week, I get 37 hours of straight pay and one hour of OT (time and a half), the one hour being the extra hour I worked on Monday.

For any given hour during the week, my rate of pay depends on a) how many hours I've worked prior to that hour during the week, and b) how many hours I've worked prior to that hour during the day.

I started to program it in but soon lost myself in a confusing maze of conditionals. It was frustrating. How would you do it?
    Shouldn't be too hard. I'd recommend using a hierarchal model, where you pass parsed information up (essentially, following the rules from one step to the next) rather than trying to create it flat (build the rules directly upon the data).

I don't know if you clock in and out - are you entering specific times? Are they split?... and is the logic that if you work 20 hours 2 days a week, you'd get paid OT in 12 of each of those days, but if you worked 2 hours the next day, that'd be at OT? What if you worked 10 hours the next day, would it be 8 at OT and 2 at Double OT?

If you are really curious, I could probably create the spreadsheet in about 15 minutes, given those rules, and send it to you.