• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What excites you? What do you wish people would talk about with you?

O

Oberon

But being directly confronted with someone who is as smart or smarter than me makes me feel inferior.

There are so many different kinds of "intelligence"... I've got an odd kind, only useful for certain very narrow applications, and more of a liability for all other occasions.

I'm a whiz at "Trivial Pursuit," however.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I was wondering, what ideas or subjects do you find exciting and if there are any you are particularly interested in and passionate about?
The ones I'm into today and this week. :D

Do you get frustrated or feel alone in your passion and wish more people were interested in it or interested in discussing it?
Yes, with many of my interests they're good solitary ones, but I always wish I could find a good friend which shared them. Most people just look at me funny because my interests are somewhat outside the bounds of "normal." (Normal = TV sports, golf, swimming, drinking, TV, etc. :rolleyes2:)

Also, do you prefer in your conversations to learn from someone more knowledgable then you on a subject you are passionate about and do more listening or do you prefer to teach someone who is less knowledgable in a subject you are passionate about and do most of the talking?
I like to do both, but the way I dive into things and study them intensely, I usually end up doing more teaching than learning from friends. I enjoy teaching, but don't like starting with "the basics" all of the time.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Expression of anything personal presents a large problem. If you express to people your interests and likes and dislikes, it's sort of inviting others to take advantage of you. Because after all, when people know about you, they use their knowledge about you to control you.

O

Oberon

Yeah, Mary Ann. This is such a given that it makes me wonder if it's not a Universal Truth.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Also, do you prefer in your conversations to learn from someone more knowledgable then you on a subject you are passionate about and do more listening or do you prefer to teach someone who is less knowledgable in a subject you are passionate about and do most of the talking?

I like to "teach" and "learn".

I like to teach to anyone that will be willing to listen and is less competent than me.

On the other hand, I would like to learn from anyone who knows more than I do in something. I find it annoying when I meet a knowledgeable person and that person does not care to talk about their field of expertise.

BlackMita

I don’t like talking about my interests. I can only stand to talk about similar media series (shows, books, music, movies or games), and very general topics that relate to the paranormal, the universe, spirituality, and humor. Humor as in joking around with people and reciting ridiculous thoughts my Ni manifests. I feel most comfortable when a conversation allows me to get other people to think, with enough flexibility to be random and not be judged as totally weird. I also don't mind debate and group brainstorming to reach some form of closure.

But you’d never catch me talking about MBTI, art, drawing, (screen) writing, or what I actually do in my spare time, or what I’ve “been up to” … I can never really articulate just what I do in my spare time without annoyingly over-explaining, and dragging it on to sound more boring and obscure than it really is.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Personal interests tend to stay personal, unless dealing with computer games. Computer games tend ot be a poor thing ot talk about, though, because on the internet there are a lot of really stupid and/or argumentitive people who talk about them, and it's extremely rare to find people who can talk without arguing on ways to make them better (analyze other people's ideas, make suggestion for other people's ideas without complaining, etc.), so this doesn't work out very often. In real life, I tend to keep this way to spend time hidden, and don't see a lot of interested people anyway.

I tend to really enjoy talking about anything I know about that involves analysis or figuring out how to do something. (Which could be music, science, history, sports, etc., as long as I know about it and can find something to add.)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Linguistics, Romanesque period history, liberal theology... but I very, very seldom ever talk to anyone who is a) as passionate as me about them and b) knows as much as me about them. I'd love to talk with someone whose knowledge in these areas far outstrips my own, so I can learn something, like Jacques Le Goff or David Bates or David Crystal or something. I never talk about them to anyone else, because I know (having an Aspie's dad and daughter) what it feels like to be subjected to someone who rambles on and on and on about their interest when you're not interested in it at all. I'm so terrified of being a bore that I'd rather just appear to not know anything and just let people be surprised when they come to my apartment and see my bookshelves.

Ferrus

MBTI Type
INTP
Matters of gravity - politics, philosophy, history and so forth.
Linguistics, Romanesque period history, liberal theology
The first two I could talk of for hours, less so the third.

And indeed, I too am concerned at being labelled a bore, but given my near non-existent social life it isn't too weighty an issue.

I have at least 3000 books, mostly heavy literature, philosophy and politics, I suspect many would be rather disturbed by that.

By the by, Q is a classic character.

Ferdinand

MBTI Type
INTJ
Subjects I find exciting nowadays include The Beatles, 17th-century European history and linguistics. Reading the previous sentence I realize I am quite a boring person. But then again, I always knew that.