User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I'd appreciate if you stopped replying to my posts in such a condescending manner. You don't know me.
    When you take a proverbial shotgun to whatever I consider to be perfectly rational, I'd have to be an entirely different person not to.

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Anybody who thinks any form of the four letter MBTI can be used predictively should start publishing some studies, because currently the ideas batting zero.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by A Schnitzel View Post
    Anybody who thinks any form of the four letter MBTI can be used predictively should start publishing some studies, because currently the ideas batting zero.
    If I have plans with an ISTJ and an ESFP who I've never met, I would bet $50 that the ISTJ will be early, and maybe $10 that the ESFP will be late.

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    If I have plans with an ISTJ and an ESFP who I've never met, I would bet $50 that the ISTJ will be early, and maybe $10 that the ESFP will be late.
    Try publishing that in a psych paper.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Try publishing that in a psych paper.
    Is that our ultimate motivation, to get published in respected journals? Since you're INTP, I know that you're aware it's not, yet due to your inexperience dealing with logical sledgehammers like myself, you think that red herring BS is somehow gonna work!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Do you agree that there are differences in people?
    Do you believe these differences are quantifiable?

If you answered yes to both of the above, then you have to accept that it is possible to create a model which will be able to make generalizations about a group of people and, on average, be correct. The MBTI is an attempt to do so, and it assumes the first two questions are true. If the first two questions are indeed true, then the MBTI has at least a grain of truth.

If you don't agree with the first two questions, then it is impossible to try to convince you that the MBTI model has any sort of accuracy. I'm inclined to think that disagreeing with the first two premises would be based off some sort of romantic ideal, though, and there's no way we can logically argue against that in the first place.
    //Ti:52|Ne:46.8|Te:36.6|Ni:32.4|Si:21.5|Fi:21.3|Se:20.5|Fe:9.3\\ 5w4 (L4, SX/SP)
    My Game Development Blog - Now With Once Per Month Updates!
    *Checks updating schedule*
    Wait, I lied. Less than once per month updates.

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Is that our ultimate motivation, to get published in respected journals? Since you're INTP, I know that you're aware it's not, yet due to your inexperience dealing with logical sledgehammers like myself, you think that red herring BS is somehow gonna work!
    You misread that. It's not about respect or recognition. It's about objective evidence. Personal experience can only take a person so far and is bound to be biased.

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezion View Post
    If you don't agree with the first two questions, then it is impossible to try to convince you that the MBTI model has any sort of accuracy. I'm inclined to think that disagreeing with the first two premises would be based off some sort of romantic philosophy, though, and there's no way we can logically argue against that in the first place.
    MBTI does have descriptive accuracy.

It generally falls short on the predictive aspect.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

You misread that. It's not about respect or recognition. It's about objective evidence. Personal experience can only take a person so far and is bound to be biased.
    Then define the difference between objective evidence and personal experience.

I thought, for example, that observing trends among categories of people (and recursively using the trends themselves to categorize further people) can be objective.

While personal experience, as I think you might understand it, would be something like "I've never been right about anything, so it's likely I won't be right in the future."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

MBTI does have descriptive accuracy.

It generally falls short on the predictive aspect.
    I would say that it has some predictive accuracy, just not any good prescriptive accuracy. In other words, you can predict a likely reaction from someone knowing their type, but it wouldn't help you in giving them general advice.

Of course, the predictive accuracy is partially negated by the fact that there is so much diversity between individuals of a specific type, but that's why I'd remember it's supposed to be an average rather than a constant.
    //Ti:52|Ne:46.8|Te:36.6|Ni:32.4|Si:21.5|Fi:21.3|Se:20.5|Fe:9.3\\ 5w4 (L4, SX/SP)
    My Game Development Blog - Now With Once Per Month Updates!
    *Checks updating schedule*
    Wait, I lied. Less than once per month updates.