User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

I think all four MBTI dichotomies are false. The are just a filter we use to catalog brain activity. We are simple creatures so we like to think in simple terms. Black and white. Yin and Yang. Doesn't mean that's how the world actually works though. And it doesn't mean that these dichotomies are devoid of merit. They simply aren't perfect.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I think all four MBTI dichotomies are false. The are just a filter we use to catalog brain activity. We are simple creatures so we like to think in simple terms. Black and white. Yin and Yang. Doesn't mean that's how the world actually works though. And it doesn't mean that these dichotomies are devoid of merit. They simply aren't perfect.
    In regards to T and F. If you use F more you "prefer F" or if you use T more you "prefer T". A dichotomy is any splitting of a whole into exactly two non-overlapping parts(wiki definition). At 50%F and 50%T you can word it as either prefer F and prefer T or prefer neither since they are equal. Either way the whole cannot be split into two non overlapping parts. Wording it one way causes overlap and wording the other way requires a third category which is neither.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    In regards to T and F. If you use F more you "prefer F" or if you use T more you "prefer T". A dichotomy is any splitting of a whole into exactly two non-overlapping parts(wiki definition). At 50%F and 50%T you can word it as either prefer F and prefer T or prefer neither since they are equal. Either way the whole cannot be split into two non overlapping parts. Wording it one way causes overlap and wording the other way requires a third category which is neither.
    Via induction, that is, every case so far observed has remained consistent, I can say with relative certainty that either T or F has dominance in everyone. They never coexist in equal strength, because they compete.

MBTI
    ISFJ

I'm not sure I follow.

I think F and T are overlapping parts. Furthermore, some concepts attributed to either side could probably warrant names of their own.

I don't think there are only two discernible decision making forces. I think there are more. We just chose to put them in only two bags but there are enough objects to create even more bags.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Via induction, that is, every case so far observed has remained consistent, I can say with relative certainty that either T or F has dominance in everyone. They never coexist in equal strength, because they compete.
    Relative to what, the people you have observed? How many people have you observed? How many people are in this world. You know what your count is wrong, cuz someone was just born between when you looked it up and you spoke. Sorry for the longest time there was matter, then someone found antimatter. Out of all the matter in this world there is very little antimatter, does that mean it doesnt exist until you find it?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think my F and T are fairly balanced. I am driven by what I think is right, but that is to an extent. These inner values are also governed by logic, it's not all plush in my mind. I think that's why the INXP debate goes on. Both INFPs and INTPs are driven by logic, if an INFP just went by how s/he felt then they would be a pretty unhealthy person.

It's hard to distinguish the two. The two types are driven by what makes sense to them (which is what you see on the outside), with INTPs it is their gained knowledge about what they are deciding about, and with INFPs it is about how "good" it feels to them (with reasoning applied).

By the way... If my logic about INTPs is flawed feel free to tell me.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I'm not sure I follow.

I think F and T are overlapping parts. Furthermore, some concepts attributed to either side could probably warrant names of their own.

I don't think there are only two discernible decision making forces. I think there are more. We just chose to put them in only two bags but there are enough objects to create even more bags.
    Yes F and T overlap in the real world, but in regards to typing being T does not mean you dont use F. It just means you use T more than F or prefer F. So the 2 categories are not T and F. The categories are "Prefer T" or "Prefer F".

What other forces or categories?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Relative to what, the people you have observed? How many people have you observed? How many people are in this world. You know what your count is wrong, cuz someone was just born between when you looked it up and you spoke. Sorry for the longest time there was matter, then someone found antimatter. Out of all the matter in this world there is very little antimatter, does that mean it doesnt exist until you find it?
    If I've observed 5,000 people, and all prefer either F or T, I have myself a f'n theory, and it's scientifically sound.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Yes F and T overlap in the real world, but in regards to typing being T does not mean you dont use F. It just means you use T more than F or prefer F. So the 2 categories are not T and F. The categories are "Prefer T" or "Prefer F".

Yes, I'm aware of that. I think they are false in the sense that a DI(2)chotomy isn't completely accurate.

What other forces or categories?
    I don't know. I'm just convinced there are more because our knowledge of how our brain works is limited and dichotomies are based on arbitrary criteria.

This is probably a bad example but hopefully it will get my point across : let's talk about colors. There are numerous colors. You can choose to look at them as "Warm"/"Cool". That's an arbitrary dichotomy though since it's based on arbitrary criteria. You no longer care what the color is, only if it's "Warm" or "Cold".

That's how I think T vs F works. Thinking is a complex process made of different sub-processes. Ditto for Feeling. Doesn't mean there isn't a different filter with which to catalog the brain processes. It's just an arbitrary spectrum.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I think its a false dichotomy. Our brain works in parallel therefore we can think and feel at the same time.
    Despite whatever pseudo-science magazine told you so, your brain can't have two conscious streams of thought at the same time even though it works 'in parallel'.
    Both Thinking and Feeling can only exist in the conscious realm of thought (otherwise they're perception functions, or un-documented... either way, it won't make it to your conscious stream without a perception function; this is probably where intuition lives).

Ergo, if you're using Thinking, you're not using Feeling and if you're using Feeling, you're not using Thinking. It's got to be one or the other, even if that means switching back and forth at an incredibly high rate, and having the end decision a composite of several smaller decisions.

I'll give you an example:
    I used to roller-blade a lot. I would force myself to move my body as efficiently as possible (T) but I chose where to go on the track based on what part of the course I like best (F). But sometimes I would have to use T, because I knew even though I might like that part of the course, I hadn't learned to maneuver myself the right way to effectively use that part of the course.
    So my runs were composed of both T and F, but they never happened both at once. In my example, Thinking rejected one of Feeling's decisions. But they didn't work all at the same time. If they did, I'd probably crash knowing full well I was going to.
    Anyway, once I decided where to go with F, T took back the reigns and enforced the precise movements I'd trained.
    we fukin won boys