User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INTP

I think this all depends on the type of organisation you work for. Most of the organisations I have worked for have all been Ps. Strangely enough, most of the managers I have had been Js. I think if you are an SP it's a bit easier as you can get rid of that nagging boss by showing them your progress so far. It's a bit harder for NPs as I'm only likely to pull the rabbit out of the hat at the last minute....and it's usually got bells on too :P

All the J types of organisation (mainly private sector) I have not taken to that well at all and have usually left within a couple of months with blood pouring out of my eyes.

I think if your line of work is more "touchy-feely" like Healthcare or charity work (which I think is the best for me, inceidentally) then Ps are more likely to flourish. I think to say flatly that P's struggle at ANY kind of work is a bit of a cop-out

With the evolving technology we have to hand I think that P's are starting to come into there own a bit more and it certainly does frustrate those who like their meetings and illogical deadlines. I've always wanted to make the way I work something comfortable that I can put on when I want to. When I have had J bosses, working life has been more like desert survival. I'm constantly throwing in meat (fancy graphs, logical theories, creating meetings(!)) for the J Lion bosses to feed on whilst I can grapple with what I value as important, interesting and probably useful and meet the usually arbitrary deadline without constant interruption.

I now am self-employed and my work life has never been happier. I highly recommend it if you can!
    Yes, you are unique......just like everyone else

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I test at about 80% P. And I am self-employed (thank god). I've been working on ways to get out of the prospect of a 40 hr work week since I was about 15, it's actually been a huge motivator.

About 60% of my work I really like, and have no problem spending hours doing it. It's the 40% menial work that slays me (I've outsourced a few things to people in India (my SJ slaves) before, and I might look into doing more of that).

I can handle real 9-5 work and having a boss, I've done it a few times, my problem isn't showing up on time and getting the work done, it's that right when I get a semi-legit opportunity to quit, I do.

MBTI
    IsTP

Work as little bit as possible if at all (self employment) or solider through a slave if need be.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Charm and finesse of course.

Learn what P and J mean please.
    we fukin won boys

since I know that Procrastinate isn't good on projects so I work early but I get distracted and I end up finish everything a long time later anyway. >_>

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    How P's survive:

1. Compartmentalize. Put a bunch of irons in the fire so it always sounds like you're doing work and can pass off lack of progress in one task as "intense focus" on another... even if you're just playing Solitaire or posting on forums half a day. Very few people will know your "full" schedule; hence, you can pad it.
    This helps... not sure about the solitaire part, but at any given moment, being able to pick and choose tasks helps. I don't think you can count on always having the option - but at least for me, it helps.

2. Do bangup work on the jobs you complete.
    Always helps.

3. Sound like you're on top of things and can tell someone exactly what's going on, even if you're nowhere close to being completed with it.
    Hmm - I wouldn't know about this one, maybe I should try it... I'm the one who's always secondguessing and pointing out what I *don't* know (yet) about a problem... some of the strong J folks I work with (ie, my boss) *hate* that. They jump in with the "we'll just have to cut corners to make the deadline then" bit (which they KNOW I hate).

4. Build extra time into your schedules, don't go for the bare minimal time -- give yourself room to play and explore.
    I think this is the most important one... although don't get caught doing it . I work in a *very* J sort of environment... they've been pressuring us to "plan out everything you'll do in detail before you do it, assign a time estimate, then do it and record how accurate your estimate was". And they absolutely LOVE to set basically worthless arbitrary deadlines and then act like the world's going to end if they're not hit (ignoring changes that come up, or emergency work on other items). This completely doesn't work for what I do, but that doesn't matter... it's the policy that's important, apparently. I, of course, plan to basically ignore this... and if I can't, I'll overestimate the time up front. If you work in the kind of job where you never know exactly how long something will take, *don't* commit... and if you're forced to, double your most conservative estimate (I mean, if it's good enough for Scotty from Star Trek, it's good enough for me! - kidding... sort of ). Otherwise you'll get screwed. Even aside from that, flexibility is good.

5. Get a variety of job duties so that you can multi-task more when you get bored or stuck.
    Kinda like #1, but I agree.

6. Have your resume on hand so you can go somewhere else if you get canned or habitually bored.
    I haven't had to do this part yet... hopefully I can keep it that way .

Quote Originally Posted by untypable View Post
    I always wondered , do you have to be a J to be successfuil in this world.
    If you're talking about financial success, no, you don't... but I truly believe that it does help. So many jobs that wind up being "high paying" depend on schedules, deadlines, and not only being able to do something, but being able to tell someone, ahead of time, exactly what *will* happen with the project at multiple points of time... ie, scheduling. Now I'm not convinced that this is necessary to accomplish, but it's an undeniable fact that most industries revolve around this model ().

But there are places for P's too . Just play to your strengths. And, I should add, don't be too blatantly immune to compromise. Nobody's going to get their way all the time... if you pick your battles you can come out all right most of the time. And when you can't... maybe it's time to look for something else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Lots of cocaine...
    SDMF

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Hobbies take more importance over work. *nods sagely*

Murder your coworkers.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    ^^

7. Always look irritated or stressed out. Makes you look busy. Credit to Costanza for that one. It actually works.
    Ha! I do that!
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]