• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] ENTP vs. INTP

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I noticed something very interesting about these two types, and pretty much and two types separated only be the difference between extraversion and introversion. Even before I knew about mbti, I recognized that my ability to behave as an extravert and move through conversations and social interaction effectively pretty much hinged on my intuition (my ability to come up with appropriate responses to the group I'm with, toward eliciting a desired response out of them). I recognized my ability to be outgoing was very much dependent on how well I could pull subject matter out of a hat in such a way that will increase my popularity and standing in the group, vs. taking the time to think about everything I do and say beforehand.

Well apparently, that is the correct and natural approach toward extroversion for the NTP's. Looking at the INTP and ENTP, the difference is only in whether their judging or perceiving functions are dominant, with the other being secondary. For INTP's, we use our introverted thinking as the primary function, to contemplate the world within our own minds. Extraverted intuition is our secondary function, and the function we use in the domain of the outer world. That is primarily what extroversion is played through.

ENTP's have the same two functions, introverted thinking and extraverted intution, except extraverted intuition is their primary mode of functioning while introverted thinking is secondary. So it would seem that the differences between E's and I's CAN be quite small (there are other differences to consider as well). I just thought it was interesting that it was noticeable without actually knowing the MBTI mechanics. Since the difference between the E's and I's of the same type has much to do with which of their functions takes the lead, and is thus more developed, then for one to switch between the two could really be as simple as recognizing the difference between those two functions, and choosing one to use consciously and develop. I'm sure most people here already know what I've mentioned, but what are your thoughts?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I noticed something very interesting about these two types, and pretty much and two types separated only be the difference between extraversion and introversion. Even before I knew about mbti, I recognized that my ability to behave as an extravert and move through conversations and social interaction effectively pretty much hinged on my intuition (my ability to come up with appropriate responses to the group I'm with, toward eliciting a desired response out of them). I recognized my ability to be outgoing was very much dependent on how well I could pull subject matter out of a hat in such a way that will increase my popularity and standing in the group, vs. taking the time to think about everything I do and say beforehand.
Hey, that's what I said.

Well apparently, that is the correct and natural approach toward extroversion for the NTP's. Looking at the INTP and ENTP, the difference is only in whether their judging or perceiving functions are dominant, with the other being secondary. For INTP's, we use our introverted thinking as the primary function, to contemplate the world within our own minds. Extraverted intuition is our secondary function, and the function we use in the domain of the outer world. That is primarily what extroversion is played through.
That's more of a description of Ni. (A better choice than Ti for INTP dom func.)

ENTP's have the same two functions, introverted thinking and extraverted intution, except extraverted thinking is their primary mode of functioning while introverted thinking is secondary.
Te? I'm pretty sure that's just a typo.

Snowey1210

MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTP's have the same two functions, introverted thinking and extraverted intution, except extraverted thinking is their primary mode of functioning while introverted thinking is secondary. So it would seem that the differences between E's and I's CAN be quite small (there are other differences to consider as well). I just thought it was interesting that it was noticeable without actually knowing the MBTI mechanics. Since the difference between the E's and I's of the same type has much to do with which of their functions takes the lead, and is thus more developed, then for one to switch between the two could really be as simple as recognizing the difference between those two functions, and choosing one to use consciously and develop. I'm sure most people here already know what I've mentioned, but what are your thoughts?

I'm an ENTP, but I've previously often typed as an INTP. I believe that the E/I axis is the most malleable out of all the cognitive functions. Whilst we always have an unconscious preference (that the MBTI tests and records) like you I believe that we can effectively choose the way in which we interact with the world, it's a simple matter of looking outwards rather than inwards (or visa versa).

Using psych theory, I believe type is essentially the product of Nature, and how we choose to harness or acknowledge it is determined by our reaction to the environment (Nuture). Perhaps this is type specific, however I've always been a big believer in free will, and whilst the MBTI helps identify a starting point I believe we can be whoever we want to be through time, experience, and personal development. Thus, in response to your question I see the MBTI as an instrument of self-development and self-reflection, and much like yourself can see it's potential as a constructive tool. I hope I remained vaguely on topic....;)

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Te? I'm pretty sure that's just a typo.

Yes it was :p .

I don't think INTP's or ENTP's really have introverted intuition substantially developed. I'm not well versed in how the opposite attitudes (introversion and extraversion) of the same functions are expressed in one individual. I would assume Ne is our natural mode of functioning, and Ni is something we very rarely use, perhaps even less than the tertiary and inferior functions (Si/e and Fe).

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I'll tell you a little story.
As a teenager, i was very complexed. I had some extra kilos and it just turned me into some shy 'introvertish' guy.

Now When I look at my life, it's still pretty clear I was an entp since my early childhood.
But that experience we'll call 'my unhappy years' have added some wierd 'extraverted\introverted' periods. When I could go from the most outgoing guy ever to 'sitting in a room and watching movies for 2 months'.

Somehow, I can only be happy when being my extroverted self.
I think it's also related to what people define as pleasurable. being around people give me energy because its' the way i express and enjoy myself. As much as I enjoy learning things and doing the occasional 'let's feverishly fill a notebook', I can't imagine getting long term pleasure from such a socially limited lifestyle. The constant flow of idea just isn't enough, I have a physical NEED to make it real, to put it all out there for the world to see.

So, I'm wondering, what do INTPS define as 'pleasurable'\rewarding as a lifestyle.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I guess one of the main differences could be: the intp analyzes the system in depth and to the bone. And he fits his knowledge into it and bents reality so it works. While the entp, naturally looses intrest in one system at some given time and expands his knowledge by getting new information, but never really truly explores one thing in depth.

Examples are: "Jack Flacks Function Adventure", which was to me an excellence in Ni + Ti. Or me, switching from MBTI over to socionics and then abandonning it all, because I lost my objectivity, when approaching people and my ability to live life every day like it was completly new and the past never existed.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Yes it was :p .

I don't think INTP's or ENTP's really have introverted intuition substantially developed. I'm not well versed in how the opposite attitudes (introversion and extraversion) of the same functions are expressed in one individual. I would assume Ne is our natural mode of functioning, and Ni is something we very rarely use, perhaps even less than the tertiary and inferior functions (Si/e and Fe).
Why? It depends on how you define it, of course. If you go to the source, Jung's Psychological Types, and read "The Extraverted Intuitive Type" and "The Introverted Intuitive Type," it should be relatively clear (To you, and others with capable reading comp. skill) that the former describes the ENTP somewhat closely, and the latter the INTP, at least more than other type descriptions. Keep in mind that Jung is describing the extremely rare "pure" types, and primarily in the context of psych. patients. I personally think the piece is flawed in a couple ways, but when discussing closest matches, the above types are acceptable.