User Tag List

123 Last

Default My restless mind

I will start by apologizing in advance for my English. I am still new to the whole Ennegram test and personality types. I am trying to understand more about the functions application in real life.

I have been wondering about a certain characteristics about myself. I have always had problems with "thinking too much". My mind does not really stop. Sometimes, I am sleepless (even wake up from my sleep) and cannot stop my mind. Sometimes, these thoughts are meaningless. I have to keep my mind engaged otherwise, I will be drawn into negative thoughts. My mother (not sure about her type) has the same problem which got worst with age.

I would like to know if other ENTJ are the same and how they cope with having a restless mind.

Thanks,
    Sarah

garbage

All the time. I can't not think. I'm always either analyzing past mistakes or imagining how future scenarios will play out, playing either the past or the future over and over in my head. These thought processes are almost always in connection with the "next big thing" for me.. what's impeded me from achieving it before and what might stop me in the future. When this occurs at night (which is very often), insomnia and disrupted sleep patterns can become major issues for me.

I took up yoga and meditation, which actually do help somewhat. I also have a ritual of hot tea and light reading before bed.. when I remember to do it and I don't convince myself that it's pointless.

Usually, physical sickness also drains me emotionally, because I don't have the energy to practice my relaxation techniques or to do anything that would distract me from my thoughts. I'm facing this right now.. it's cold season, after all.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

When I feel like this, I ask myself what I truly need to calm down, slowly, rather than immediately. Sometimes I light some candles and put on some music and write in my journal or draw. Other times I listen to some inspiring lectures with the same ambiance. Exercise and meditation usually help too, even though the first 10-20 minutes of meditation are TOTAL FUCKING CHAOS.

Is this related to the "NT"?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I think that's a philosophical question that I'd answer by saying that it is caused stuff outside of and deeper than "NT," but gets expressed in you as "NT." For other people, it's restlessness, boredom, anxiety, neediness, craving, etc.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I think that's a philosophical question that I'd answer by saying that it is caused stuff outside of and deeper than "NT," but gets expressed in you as "NT." For other people, it's restlessness, boredom, anxiety, neediness, craving, etc.
    Really?

Because I was reading the OP and I could totally understand it, it drives me insane and I am no NT.

I can't stop thinking, when I lie down in bed my mind starts racing, plans, ideas, scenarios, endlessly nattering at me, and I even get out of bed at times because I just can't sleep or because I've had an epiphany.

Meditation hasn't helped, but then again I've only tried a few times and became disheartened with it when my mind continued to race ahead of me.

I wondered if it was the Ne, but now I have no idea.

ENTJgirl, I have no idea what will help you, but I'm a P, I procrastinate, and I continue rather than truly dedicating myself to learning a path that will help calm my over active mind.

Good luck.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by ENTJ-girl View Post
    Is this related to the "NT"?
    I think it's Ni. The only thing that quiets the noise in my head is focusing on something. When it's quiet, the thoughts take over and they go in all sorts of directions. Some positive, some negative.

My advice is to get out of your head, find something to focus on when you feel the negative thoughts creeping in. As Edahn suggested, write, read, talk to someone, do yoga, go for a run, or whatever works for you. Over time you should be able to 'turn down the volume' on the random thoughts spinning around in your head, they become a background hum instead of controlling you.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    Really?

Because I was reading the OP and I could totally understand it, it drives me insane and I am no NT.
    When I said it gets expressed as NT, I meant that her mental activity moves in the direction of trying to put ideas together, whereas other people's activity might move in the direction of trying to stimulate themselves (SeFi), glean personal meaning from things (NeFi), understand how the world works (TeNi), etc. But they all come out of the same basic restlessness.

I'm just speculating, anyway.

MBTI
    ENTJ

I have been wondering about a certain characteristics about myself. I have always had problems with "thinking too much". My mind does not really stop.
    Oh, I hear this, although luckily I have never had trouble sleeping. As a child my mother was always exhorting me to stop sitting on the sofa staring into space because it was lazy and boring. This was always confusing because, to me, sitting on the sofa with my mind wandering and working, working, working, never *felt* boring! In fact it felt quite active!

Any advice on insomnia comes from my experiences with a chronically insomniac boyfriend. You have to be rigorous about bedtime routines, and make 100% sure you don't indulge in any behaviours that make sleeping difficult for quite a few hours before bedtime (whatever it may be for you - coffee, allowing yourself to slip into that mental mode of rolling things obsessively over and over in your mind, watching stressful TV etc., drinking alcohol etc.).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I grew up with this problem, but I eventually at night just started to visualize different things in my head to calm myself down, which is I suppose basically meditation. Counting sheep is not just anecdotal, that concentration on a repetitive task can really help you access the one thing that at least my brain always has a hard time finding:

boredom.

Once you're bored, you go to sleep.

Also this might seem obvious but there can also be chemical reasons and other circumstances that can cause that sleeplessness, exploring those options could also be beneficial.