• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] I think Feelings are important. And I'm an INTP

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I just read this, and I'm befuddled, because I can't believe that people didn't realize this was the case. I thought it was obvious that emotion is the only thing that drives people to act, and to act in whatever way they do. "Pure reason" is a capacity of the brain, used like a tool, and apparently some are far less equipped to use it than others. Those who didn't realize the above come to mind.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I believe that Emotions are extremely important! However, I think that people get mixed up and the debate begins when people start to misuse them.. Emotions cannot replace reason and reason certainly cannot replace emotions! To be honest from what I have seen emtoions spur you to do something and reason backs u up when asked to explain yourself... Also 'negative' emotions get a bad press; I wonder if negative reason does.. or if there is asuch a thing... I do believe that some reason can be destructive! Right must stop rambling now am a bit dizzy... will think more about this! :) good post I like it BTW

Tayshaun

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think feelings are important...and I'm a human being.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I just read this, and I'm befuddled, because I can't believe that people didn't realize this was the case. I thought it was obvious that emotion is the only thing that drives people to act, and to act in whatever way they do. "Pure reason" is a capacity of the brain, used like a tool, and apparently some are far less equipped to use it than others. Those who didn't realize the above come to mind.

I agree with you that it's pretty obvious when you think about it. Can't say I care for the last two sentences of your comment though. Some may not make use of the 'tool of reason' as much or in the same way you do. But they tend to be better at using the 'raw material', causing them to have less need for said tool and obviously having less practice with it because of that..

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I agree with you that it's pretty obvious when you think about it. Can't say I care for the last two sentences of your comment though. Some may not make use of the 'tool of reason' as much or in the same way you do. But they tend to be better at using the 'raw material', causing them to have less need for said tool and obviously having less practice with it because of that..
Hardly. People aren't all made with equal but possibly different skills. Some are great at many things, and some are great at nothing.

Though I've known some very intelligent (Like high IQ) people who still favor emotional decision making over logical, in cases where that choice is able to be made.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hardly. People aren't all made with equal but possibly different skills. Some are great at many things, and some are great at nothing.

Though I've known some very intelligent (Like high IQ) people who still favor emotional decision making over logical, in cases where that choice is able to be made.

Notice I said 'tend' and 'some'. No doubt that there are some idiotic people out there, but I prefer giving people the benefit of the doubt as most do have a skill that is worth acknowledging, even if it is not your own cup of tea.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Amargith, I think you are displaying a typical ENFP trait here, the trait of optimism... also we see potential in everyone and everything, we see the possibilities... we never describe the ruin we just describe what the ruin could be... I think that's why Jacks comments are a little abrasive to you... they are to me too... just a different way of looking at things I guess... I am with Amargith thousgh everyone has talents even the idiots, talented at being idiotic LOL :D

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ

I'm reminded of a phrase from a song, I heard it today and thought, that's kinda cool:

"the flesh and blood you call your soul."

It'd be great to run down the brain function that corresponds to "feeling" and "thought", I guess, but for as long as we have conscious control over some "feeling" and some "thought", it's never going to appear to us as that we're having a "brain activity."

So "thought" and "feeling" are both always going to be conceptually different from "brain activity," aren't they? But research into brain activity will inform the development of the explicitly stated concepts of "thought" and "feeling", right? That'll be cool. Useful too.

And we're going to find out that "thought" and "feeling" are related? Well, that's alarming.

Well, maybe not. INTJs will get to be "people" too.

But it's still not going to be "one size fits all" either, is it? The origins of consciousness still aren't going to alter much of the use of consciousness, are they? I mean, here we are right now, all using our consciousness in the semi-prescribed "different" typological ways...

Too Philosophy 101? Dunno.

I like feelings too. I'm just not using them right now. Or... maybe I am... secretly... somewhere deep in my squishy big brain...

Or am I?

Or...

No, I don't know. Too INTJ to run it down properly. It'd be nice to though, running it down. Might help with this strange sense I get that other types are too "Other" to really comprehend, like different exhibits in the MBTI museum.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I just discovered this relatively new video, which is part of a series. Holmes here is a bit "heavier" than I am, I think, but he makes interesting observations.

YouTube - INTP 3

LeonardoLestat

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I don't know about all that.. my brain gets so tired with these MBTI puzzles that I can't even try anymore :huh:

I know this:
I think feelings are important, and I'm an ENTJ.
But - and this is really me being vulnerable saying this ;) - I'm pretty stupid when it comes to feelings. It's like you're trying to smell something but you can't really grasp it and you have to focus real hard to experience the sensation of smelling, until you finally just give up and say 'alright, fuck it, my sense of smell is terrible, so don't ask me what I'm smelling alright!'
This is me with feelings.
I think it's a virtue to put The Ideal on a higher priority than your own feelings.
If I'm drowning and somebody says 'Well I don't know if I'll jump in an rescue you, the water is cold and I just don't know if I can handle it and I'm very fearful and very depressed also and I have this hypochondria that keeps bugging me....'
:steam: