First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yes. There's an indirect connection because emotions seem to help drive/implement values (think of the movie/non-historical William Wallace -- values and deep emotion are directly linked), while Thinking people tend to remove themselves (depersonalize) a situation to reduce it to a constant set of rules apart from themselves (think of the cinematic Elizabeth as portrayed by Cate Blanchett... her T comes off as cold). But Fi is not emotions, we all have emotions.

Yes, both are internalized judging functions. They do the same things; they just use different criteria for their judging. It's rather like the "structure/process" tree is the same sort of thing, but the labels for the yes/no forks are different.
    Courtesy MacGuffin I think : Hearts & Minds - The Boston Globe

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

loved the article
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Cypocalypse View Post
    What do you INTPs think of Fi? Are your sentiments in opposition with your sense of logic. I care less with the sentiments of others (Fe), but being individualist, I think my Fi catches up with my Ti and I have this sense that Fi and Ti need not be mutually exclusive.

The way I see it
    Fi - sense of morality/ethics
    Ti - sense of logic

Aren't the two, in more ways than one, aligned? Or, do you as an INTP try to reconcile the two if they appear in opposition with each other?
    They might be aligned in well-balanced people, but they are unlikely to be equally well-developed.

The only way I might see this working is if you make decisions using Fi, but then rationalize with Ti. Which isn't really using Ti properly.

Occasionally, you might come to the same decision using either function, but that would be coincidental, I'd have thought.

Personally, I think my Fi is mostly unconscious. I'm seldom aware of it at the decision-making stage. I'm often only too aware of it afterward though - when I've made the "wrong" decision. I will usually experience this as a mood or physiological disturbance, rather than a cognitive process. If I am conscious of a personal value judgement on a matter, I will incorporate that into the logical criteria I use to make a decision. For example - I won't work with/for organisations that use animals in experiments. This is logical to me, since it violates a deeply held principle.

I think a problem with being Ti-dom is that it can be very difficult to come to a decision - because many things cannot have an relative value assigned based purely on logical reasoning i.e. several outcomes may be equally favourable.

I'd be interested to hear how your decision-making process operates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I think you're mixing up feelings with functions. I think feelings are important. Do I think mine are particularly important? Sometimes. I want to be happy. I want to have fun, I want to enjoy what I do today, I want to make my girlfriend happy, etc. Those are all objectives that inherently have emotional weight behind them. But how do I go about making those things happen? Mostly through rational thought, and using my Ne-Ti functions to operate my decision making.

We all have feelings, it's just our type that determines how we express them, perceive them in other people, or what we do with them. I think that's a distinction some NTs grapple with. And I do find them important, but maybe not in a way an NF or other feeler does. For me, other peoples' feelings are important in that they're a way for me to be able to make them happy if I want to, sad if I want to, etc. The beauty of emotions is that once you gain a general understanding of how they work in certain people they're an easy thing to control in your favor, and sometimes they don't even make sense in how they work which is an advantage and disadvantage at the same time. They're not necessarily important to my decision making and I may be oblivious to others' feelings at times and think they shouldn't really be part of certain decisions, but dismissing the importance of emotions is foolish in the sense that they're part of most peoples' lives in such an ingrained way.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Don't listen to him, he's just trying to get all the NF chicks.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

shut up eck! that was pretty good.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

hehe...i was just kidding eck.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    hehe...i was just kidding eck.
    You will beg for my pardon !
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    SEE

I personally am more surprised to come across INTPs that don't value feelings than vice-versa. Yes, they are very important...especially since I don't feel a whole lot in the feeling department.

Most INTPs seem to be 5w4s as well and a hidden emotionality seems to be one of the characteristics of that type. Not weird at all.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Cypocalypse View Post
    The way I see it
    Fi - sense of morality/ethics
    Ti - sense of logic
    Or perhaps you can use your logic to reason that if everyone follows some baseline morality/ethics, we all end up better off for it ("don't kill", for instance).

Also, if you are referring to feelings as in desire, it is important to cater to them to a degree. Your feelings impact your body, which impacts your mind, which impacts your feelings. Seeing as they are all connected and part of the same entity, one being too imbalanced will impact the others. Therefore, if you desire to remain somewhat object and possess full use of your cognitive capacities, it is important to consider both emotional and physical factors in your decisions.
    //Ti:52|Ne:46.8|Te:36.6|Ni:32.4|Si:21.5|Fi:21.3|Se:20.5|Fe:9.3\\ 5w4 (L4, SX/SP)
    My Game Development Blog - Now With Once Per Month Updates!
    *Checks updating schedule*
    Wait, I lied. Less than once per month updates.