• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP first impressions

MBTI Type
INxJ
Secondly, how do you other types perceive INTP's upon first meeting them and first getting to know them?

Endless potential for mental masturbation. My favorite INTPs are the socially awkward, PhD students.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
I've come off as many things to many people.
It usually depends in what face I have on that day.

I've come off as warm, friendly, social.
Other times shy, quiet, awkward.

It really depends on who I'm talking to and what mood I'm in.

sandwich

MBTI Type
INTP
I sometimes come across as a mean bitch. I'm not sure why.

Someone told me that, upon our first meeting, she thought I was a dyke. From her that's a compliment.

And, from my high school year book: "at first I thout you were wierd but your OK."

Gauche

From what I gather, I come off as aloof, distant, and a little critical. A few people have said things like "I think you hate me!". I think I put out a more judgmental vibe then I mean to. But if I start interacting with people they see I approach most things in a very nonserious way and that I'm generally easy going and humorous, and a total scatter-brain. With friends I can be somewhat gregarious.

InaF3157 said:
On first impression, people think I'm a serious, studious sort. LOL
I'm a silly chatterbox amongst friends and a slacker otherwise.

Some think I'm stuck up, and that's another epic fail.

brilliantwomble said:
The part that is funny and yet sad at the same time is that I would never give off my actual thoughts on important matters to someone after just meeting them. I would test them first so the fact that I come off incredibly opinionated is humorous, but false to some extent.

Doesn't that more or less apply to INFPs as well? I've always got that "testing", "distrustful" vibe from INFPs when dealing with stranger

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Upon first meeting someone I tend to act under the guise I'm really never going to talk to that person again. I don't really know why. Unless that person makes an effort to try and befriend me, I don't really push things any further. At that point, I will come off as a bit aloof, quirky and distant until I can gauge whether I think I will like the person or not, then I'll let the friendship develop at the pace the other person makes.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I and my INTP brother come off ass shy and quiet at first. People have also told me that I give off a critical vibe, like I don't like them. This is the single most odd thing, since most of the time I DO like them, and secretly wish that they'd talk to me more often.

I can relate somewhat to this.

the soulless one

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
How I come off...quirky if with friends and active, mature and pragmatic when in business situations, pissed and intimidating if I want to be or am unhappy, otherwise detached, aloof, distant, :insert synonym here:. Whatever it is that I give off, I tend to push away people I want by my side and draw in idiots who are too full of their own nut-jobness to get a clue that they make me uncomfortable.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Around friends I flash my somewhat nerdy humor at times so people can get insight into more of my true personality at a glance when they see me. I love sports and can usually start conversations with most anyone that's interested in them, so sometimes people get an athletic outgoing vibe from me. I also always try and build up and elaborate on others thoughts. It's so natural that I forget I'm doing it sometimes. I kill and alter the pace of conversations a lot with it. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. I like to tie in and bring out the reason why things may be. Giving an alternate rationale is something I do constantly. I'm usually laughing or smiling at something.

In classroom situations the introverted nature really shines through. I really do try and keep to myself and constantly look off and daydream. I'm not one to actively engage and form social bonds with others. I am slightly hesitant in the beginning of a semester but I do eventually work up the courage once I've observed the flow of the class and the personalities to raise my hand, answer questions, and engage. I do try and instill a certain amount of my humor to not come across as a knowitall. I do often come with sort of detached and tangential comments that usually have more to do with a concept in my head than the question originally asked per se. I am very conscious though of the direction of the class and always try and tie in my point to the discussion and further it and direct it towards something more interesting and not as dry and obscure as the text. I try and get the teacher to impart their expertise.

At home I think my truest personality shines, I'm much more comfortable and assertive in using my natural argumentative and sarcastic tone when it comes to communicating. I love to answer questions that I don't necessarily want to elaborate on with a little joke. They usually range from witty to pedantic but their pretty effective in defusing the situation. I try and point out absurdities and points where there may be some confusion. I unfailingly always attempt to impart my analysis on whatever comes up. Others don't always appreciate it. I can be very critical and that shines through the most in this context. One of the common comments I hear is "Emmanuel I don't want to turn this into an argument, or you always find away to argue about something, you always have excuses." I have a tendency of being incredibly cynical when it comes to any mention of some news story or some crack pot scientific study that's brought up. I'm surprisingly confident and assured when it comes to talking at home. I surprise a lot of people that don't see me in that context too often.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Most people just see me as weird, especially since i try not to hide it too much. Also shy and intelligent. I'm really quiet around new people. Buts once i know people i change and go basically mental and hyperactive. Also alot of people think i'm funny, don't see it myself mind! Also I'm very honest.

Its strange because i am extremely honest to most people i meet but at the same time i still try play devils advocate. I basically tell them what i think of them and challenge them to prove me wrong!

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Scary, distant yet annoyingly intriguing. Trying to establish a connection with them is like trying to solve a frigging rubix cube with teeth. Often worth the risk though.

the soulless one

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Scary, distant yet annoyingly intriguing. Trying to establish a connection with them is like trying to solve a frigging rubix cube with teeth. Often worth the risk though.

I would venture to say that that is a reasonably true statement, though we tend to show the teeth if we don't feel comfortable with you.

groovejet02

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I've definitely been thought of as intimidating on first impression. What causes this? Is it because of our unwillingness to smile and our pensive look? Non-INTPs, please tell.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not intimidating, distracted. It's only when you open your mouth, you become intimidating, but it's an intellectual challenge usually. INTP's tend to be the only type that make me feel stupid. You guys do have this piercing look though, that makes one think you are being looked through, and you really aren't there. It's quite unnerving to be on the receiving end of that (at least the first time). The other thing is, the guys anyway, you seem to put on clothes without any thought at all, you'll wear the oddest things (and colours) together. It's almost unmistakable. Mind you, I've only met one definite and confirmed INTP, and one or two others that are suspected, but you guys have a definite air about you.

groovejet02

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Not intimidating, distracted. It's only when you open your mouth, you become intimidating, but it's an intellectual challenge usually. INTP's tend to be the only type that make me feel stupid. You guys do have this piercing look though, that makes one think you are being looked through, and you really aren't there. It's quite unnerving to be on the receiving end of that (at least the first time). The other thing is, the guys anyway, you seem to put on clothes without any thought at all, you'll wear the oddest things (and colours) together. It's almost unmistakable. Mind you, I've only met one definite and confirmed INTP, and one or two others that are suspected, but you guys have a definite air about you.

It's funny how there is a HUGE gap between how people perceive INTPs and how INTPs perceive themselves. INTPs generally are socially awkward (figuring out whether people like them while simultaneously looking down at the need to be liked) and always doubt their intelligence.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper

Guilty on both counts. And Groovejet is right. It's odd that others perceive INTPs to be somewhat inflated, aloof, and some say they feel a bit dissected; while an INTP [me at least] can be crippled by self doubt and feelings of inadequacy.