User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Secondly, how do you other types perceive INTP's upon first meeting them and first getting to know them?
    Endless potential for mental masturbation. My favorite INTPs are the socially awkward, PhD students.

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

I've come off as many things to many people.
    It usually depends in what face I have on that day.

I've come off as warm, friendly, social.
    Other times shy, quiet, awkward.

It really depends on who I'm talking to and what mood I'm in.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Endless potential for mental masturbation. My favorite INTPs are the socially awkward, PhD students.
    Hmmm... What about mental sex?

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Hmmm... What about mental sex?
    Save that until an actual friendship is forged.

MBTI
    INTP

I sometimes come across as a mean bitch. I'm not sure why.

Someone told me that, upon our first meeting, she thought I was a dyke. From her that's a compliment.

And, from my high school year book: "at first I thout you were wierd but your OK."

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    From what I gather, I come off as aloof, distant, and a little critical. A few people have said things like "I think you hate me!". I think I put out a more judgmental vibe then I mean to. But if I start interacting with people they see I approach most things in a very nonserious way and that I'm generally easy going and humorous, and a total scatter-brain. With friends I can be somewhat gregarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by InaF3157
    On first impression, people think I'm a serious, studious sort. LOL
    I'm a silly chatterbox amongst friends and a slacker otherwise.

Some think I'm stuck up, and that's another epic fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by brilliantwomble
    The part that is funny and yet sad at the same time is that I would never give off my actual thoughts on important matters to someone after just meeting them. I would test them first so the fact that I come off incredibly opinionated is humorous, but false to some extent.
    Doesn't that more or less apply to INFPs as well? I've always got that "testing", "distrustful" vibe from INFPs when dealing with stranger

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Upon first meeting someone I tend to act under the guise I'm really never going to talk to that person again. I don't really know why. Unless that person makes an effort to try and befriend me, I don't really push things any further. At that point, I will come off as a bit aloof, quirky and distant until I can gauge whether I think I will like the person or not, then I'll let the friendship develop at the pace the other person makes.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I and my INTP brother come off ass shy and quiet at first. People have also told me that I give off a critical vibe, like I don't like them. This is the single most odd thing, since most of the time I DO like them, and secretly wish that they'd talk to me more often.
    I can relate somewhat to this.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    SEE

How I come off...quirky if with friends and active, mature and pragmatic when in business situations, pissed and intimidating if I want to be or am unhappy, otherwise detached, aloof, distant, :insert synonym here:. Whatever it is that I give off, I tend to push away people I want by my side and draw in idiots who are too full of their own nut-jobness to get a clue that they make me uncomfortable.

MBTI
    INTP

Around friends I flash my somewhat nerdy humor at times so people can get insight into more of my true personality at a glance when they see me. I love sports and can usually start conversations with most anyone that's interested in them, so sometimes people get an athletic outgoing vibe from me. I also always try and build up and elaborate on others thoughts. It's so natural that I forget I'm doing it sometimes. I kill and alter the pace of conversations a lot with it. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. I like to tie in and bring out the reason why things may be. Giving an alternate rationale is something I do constantly. I'm usually laughing or smiling at something.

In classroom situations the introverted nature really shines through. I really do try and keep to myself and constantly look off and daydream. I'm not one to actively engage and form social bonds with others. I am slightly hesitant in the beginning of a semester but I do eventually work up the courage once I've observed the flow of the class and the personalities to raise my hand, answer questions, and engage. I do try and instill a certain amount of my humor to not come across as a knowitall. I do often come with sort of detached and tangential comments that usually have more to do with a concept in my head than the question originally asked per se. I am very conscious though of the direction of the class and always try and tie in my point to the discussion and further it and direct it towards something more interesting and not as dry and obscure as the text. I try and get the teacher to impart their expertise.

At home I think my truest personality shines, I'm much more comfortable and assertive in using my natural argumentative and sarcastic tone when it comes to communicating. I love to answer questions that I don't necessarily want to elaborate on with a little joke. They usually range from witty to pedantic but their pretty effective in defusing the situation. I try and point out absurdities and points where there may be some confusion. I unfailingly always attempt to impart my analysis on whatever comes up. Others don't always appreciate it. I can be very critical and that shines through the most in this context. One of the common comments I hear is "Emmanuel I don't want to turn this into an argument, or you always find away to argue about something, you always have excuses." I have a tendency of being incredibly cynical when it comes to any mention of some news story or some crack pot scientific study that's brought up. I'm surprisingly confident and assured when it comes to talking at home. I surprise a lot of people that don't see me in that context too often.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.