User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INXP

I think people get a first impression that I'm rather quiet. Also the way I carry myself people tend to see me as fairly self-confident, since I usually hold my head up and look people in the eye when I'm talking to them, and have pretty good self-esteem so people usually notice that.I don't think people would label me as an intp at first... I think the main things that people notice first is that I don't talk much, which is usually just because I don't care for "small talk".
    AKA: Choss

It's not theoretically possible

Interesting novel thoughts proliferate

Incessently needing to ponder

I never think practically

It's never too precise

Insane nerds throwing parties

I'm not the problem

I'm not that popular

MBTI
    intp

On first impression, people think I'm a serious, studious sort. LOL
    I'm a silly chatterbox amongst friends and a slacker otherwise.

Some think I'm stuck up, and that's another epic fail.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

From what I gather, I come off as aloof, distant, and a little critical. A few people have said things like "I think you hate me!". I think I put out a more judgmental vibe then I mean to. But if I start interacting with people they see I approach most things in a very nonserious way and that I'm generally easy going and humorous, and a total scatter-brain. With friends I can be somewhat gregarious.

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

Classmate: "I don't like Emma... she's too... nehhhrrr."

So there you have it; I come across as "too nehhhrrr," to some.

My friends in highschool didn't like me at first because I was too loud. I only wanted to get attention from a crush. My sixth form friends thought I didn't like them because I was too quiet and never approached them in the common room.
    Um, yeah.

MBTI
    IsTP

I've read where an INTP's typically are quiet upon meeting people becuase many people couple quiet types with intelligent types. I'm very guilty of this. I almost never instantly hit it off with people, instead my friendships are built over gradually 'letting them in'. I find this has made the best circle of friends for me. I guess in theory by being quiet and closed off I avoid the attention and efforts of people I don't work well with. To snag people's interest I usually stick to things I'm good at or just enjoy, dumb and brainy jokes (see my sig), playing cards, piano, karaoke, pool. I use these as tools to land first impressions also.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

On 1st impression people think I dislike them, then with time they get to know I actually dislike them.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by laintpe View Post
    I can kind of pretend to be social at first.... but give it a few minutes and it crumbles. Shy would be an obvious description, some people have referred to it as "mysterious", but that's only because I'm so quiet. If I don't try to overcome my shyness, they lose interest in trying to get to know me. Some people have told me that they thought I was annoyed by them... but I wasn't at all and in some cases have actually really liked those people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I often rely heavily on the "chameleon" trait many intp's have, and mimic the people I'm around to some degree and learn social skills that way. I also have a lot of difficulty in groups of people larger than 3 (including myself).
    Quote Originally Posted by norepinephrine View Post
    Based on feedback I've gotten from people after they've gotten to know me better, I'd say most think I'm a hell of a lot more serious and 'stuffy' than I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kollin View Post
    I think people get a first impression that I'm rather quiet.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    From what I gather, I come off as aloof, distant, and a little critical. A few people have said things like "I think you hate me!". I think I put out a more judgmental vibe then I mean to. But if I start interacting with people they see I approach most things in a very nonserious way and that I'm generally easy going and humorous, and a total scatter-brain. With friends I can be somewhat gregarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willfrey View Post
    I almost never instantly hit it off with people, instead my friendships are built over gradually 'letting them in'.
    All of this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by brilliantwomble View Post
    It depends on several factors really. If I am with a close friend when I meet new people and I haven't heard about them before, then I am usually fairly chatty and most of the time I make a decent first impression. People might think I am a lot more extraverted than I really am. If I am with the same close friend, but meeting someone new that I have heard about before, I usually come off as distant and calculated. I am usually trying to figure out if what I heard about them is true and where they fit into my picture of who I thought they would be. So in those cases I come off cold and distant, usually rather quiet.

If I meet someone new by myself and I never have heard about them, I am usually quiet, distant, and people probably think I am arrogant and uninterested--whether or not that is the case.

If I meet someone new by myself and I have heard about them before, I again come of calculated, but more playful. Without someone else I know around me I feel freer to explore things and test people.

In general I am pretty sure I come off opinionated and give the impression that I am a lot more set in my views that I really am. I tend to take a stance just for the heck of it and those that don't know me miss that. I do come of distant though that is pretty much a given. The part that is funny and yet sad at the same time is that I would never give off my actual thoughts on important matters to someone after just meeting them. I would test them first so the fact that I come off incredibly opinionated is humorous, but false to some extent.
    I like what you said here. This is true to what my experiences with INTPs have been. It is difficult for me to know what to do though and makes me a little uneasy because I almost always feel like I am being tested. And, I wonder what I must do in order to prove that I want the truth and am capable of handling it. I'm sure it varies, but how long does this take? I feel like I can never relax.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

One of my closest friends is an ENFJ. I would say it took me about a year or so after I met her before I really started opening up to her, but in general I start to open up to people for real after they have shared enough with me that the bit of vunerability I am giving in to is much less than what they have shared. So it is a lot of give and take. The more open others are with me and the more sincere the more likely I am to entrust them with info and the truth. However, one important thing is when I get to know someone and I test them with small bits of who I really am I watch really closely as to how they handle it. If they do well then I might give them more trust, but if they fail, it may be awhile (or never depending on the person) before I entrust them with something else. So at least with me anything personal I share is fair game as a test--so handling personal info sensitivity is important.
    Last edited by brilliantwomble; 02-01-2009 at 02:11 AM. Reason: spelling error

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I and my INTP brother come off as shy and quiet at first. People have also told me that I give off a critical vibe, like I don't like them. This is the single most odd thing, since most of the time I DO like them, and secretly wish that they'd talk to me more often.
    Last edited by Orangey; 02-01-2009 at 05:16 PM.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness