User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

High school was hell, college was an ascent to heaven.

But, as I always say ...

"Formal education will make you a living, self-education will make you a fortune."
    got chaos?

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    I've been reflecting on the type of learning experiences that INTJs and INTPs seem to have at universities.

To reflect, I, in fairly pragmatic INTJ fashion did not turn up for half of the lectures. Did not take notes and crammed some studying into the month before exams for 5 years. I've got a top grade masters in Chemical Engineering.

I remember my xSFJ mum going mental because 'I wasn't studying'. In return I was like: look, the proof is in the grades, do you really think I don't know what I'm doing? I did not change my habits and it all worked out just fine. This seemed to be something quite foreign and abhorent to the Fe-Ti mindset and I wonder how that translates into the Ti dominant mindset.

Reflecting my INTP friends, they were either a) constantly studying their butts off b) not studying and failing (often catastrophically).

I think its important that INTPs consider if they are willing to truly commit to level of studying they require to make the grade they require to know if it is a worthwhile process - they really don't have the same cognitive way of 'picking up what's in front of them' and then throwing the chicken bones to produce an acceptable solution that allows INTJs to breeze through academia by balancing effort versus free time to optimize grade.

I'm not sure how ENTJs and ENTPs fit into this.
    Is that not just the eternal conflict between (nearly) all students and (nearly) all parents? If anything I would think skipping class and cramming (yet getting good grades) would be less common in Te users than Ti users, although it's pretty much the norm for all students....

I've always followed the philosophy of the 80-20 rule/maximizing value of time spent, where it made sense to do so. Maybe that philosophy is particularly attractive for chart the course types (including istp and intj).
    -end of thread-

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Generally speaking, I had tons of fun in school, and I miss it loads.

I'm the barely studying INTP I guess. I made all my homework and studied almost exclusively during classes only and spent my free time on fun stuff.

Oh well, I passed and that's all there is to it.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    entp

I'm on the verge of failing out. Exam in exactly one week and I have a hard time sticking to my course. I can get started but then I start thinking about the future and everything I want to do.

I'm studying engineering in a supposedly prestigious uni too. I don't have a problem understanding stuff (in class when someone is explaining it to me), I do have a problem sitting my ass down and getting it done. The problem is doubled when I don`t go to class.

almost feel like giving up. (its almost like the world is challenging me to drop out and still be an upstanding citizen - but i know thats just me making excuses for my fear of exams. yes, i think im actually afraid of exams/deadline - anxiousness, nervousness). fuck me.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Over here most schools offer a special service to all students who cope with fear of failing, like an extra course/therapy. Some friends I've had with fear of tests and examns swear that it helped them loads.

Ofcourse, with the examn in one week, I'm not sure that'd help you much now.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    entp

Haha yeah...but I'm just being a whiny prick. Need to sit down and just do it! Did it last night for about 3 hours.

Made it to third year...one more left to go!

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyTick View Post

But, as I always say ...

"Formal education will make you a living, self-education will make you a fortune."
    Why do people always say college is so much better than high school? I think it's worse. Maybe it's because I'm majoring in Accounting at a commuter college with so many budget cuts that it's so hard to get classes that I have to take them all in the early morning.

And I despise all the group projects, entailing that I always have to do everything for the stupid and/or lazy people, short of wiping their asses. The (accounting) professors are all stodgy SJs who consider reading the textbook aloud as teaching, 90% of them have accents that are impossible to understand/translate... :steam:

And there's practically no campus life here, so it's hard to keep in touch with people.

The only positive difference is that I'd moved out from home by the time I started college, which I would've done anyway. Now I can get mediocre grades without getting in trouble for it (though I try not to anyway).
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    Why do people always say college is so much better than high school? I think it's worse. Maybe it's because I'm majoring in Accounting at a commuter college with so many budget cuts that it's so hard to get classes that I have to take them all in the early morning.
    College is much more difficult and has a much heavier course load as well, so it's worse in that way, but the people (and classes) are so much more interesting that it makes all the difference. If you find the subject boring, well, that's one problem. If you're not interacting with other students, that's another problem. For most people, this is not the case, hence why you hear that college is worlds better. There's not even any comparison for me.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I always did well academically in school. It was the social side I struggled with.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyTick View Post

But, as I always say ...

and the quote of the month award goes to...MONEYTICK
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire