User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by JonJT View Post
    Any other NTs or specifically INTPs have difficulty with testing and/or just doing well as a student in higher level education?
    I had a somewhat difficult time during my undergrad years ... much as you relate. It was an ivy league level school as well, albeit a military academy. I had to struggle to maintain a B/C average, after having effortlessly pulled down a 4.0 in high school. I think my issue was that I was still too young (17) and had been inadequately prepared by the poor academic standards in southwest Texas. I suffered through the first two years and almost failed out my freshman year. Things seemed to click after that however, and I did much better my junior and senior years.

Employers and graduate schools will take into account that you attended an ivy league institution. I've found that a B/C average from one of those ranks up with an A/B average from a standard institution. Graduate schools will also look at your upper level course work and standardized test scores. I had little trouble getting accepted years later. Ironically, grad school was entirely different. I enjoyed it immensely and fared much better than I had during my undergrad years.

Best of luck and much success in your endeavors.

Sniffles

I usually did better in classes based around tests and projects more. Homework has always been a killer for me.

I'm so glad I'm no longer in school. I've always been more of an autodidact, and that's usually how I learn best. As Mark Twain put it: never let your schooling interfere with your education.

In high school I'd always get pissed wondering about all the stuff I've could've been learning if I wasn't stuck in class.

MBTI
    INXP

I dont miss it, but I am glad I experienced it.

MBTI
    ENTP

The best times I had during my school years were the times when I was skipping class... skipping school, in fact.

Hated school, all the way through, for so many reasons. Mainly though, bullying and just being completely bored and not stretched enough by the work.

I'm not glad I experienced it. I don't think anything positive came out of it that couldn't have been done without it. In fact all the most useful stuff I learned when younger, and all the most constructive influences on me, happened outside of school.

It was a waste of time - worse than that, it was the single most destructive experience of my life. If I hadn't had to go, my life would indubitably have gone better. I won't go into any more detail, but suffice it to say there are professionals in both the psychiatric and educational fields who agree with me.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I guess to be weird is the best weapon against everything.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I had an "horrible time" only during me high school years. The university system, on the hand, allowed me to thrive thanks to a much awaited freedom, and with each new incoming year, my grades went better and better.

I was quite good in high school nonetheless. I was excellent in early university years, and simply outstanding during my PhDs. Since then, I've never really left "school" since I continue to teach (part-time).

Of course, the french educational system is very different, but I've spent several months in some american universities (Especially Columbia, and a few weeks in Yale and the MIT), whether in a student exchange program, in conferences or in symposium.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

showoff !
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    showoff !
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTP

I got mediocre grades in high school due to apathy. I never did any homework. I would get 0's on all assignments and do well on tests, and that's how I passed. I wasn't better in any particular area than another, either. One quarter I might get a B in Math and a D in English, and the next I might get a D in Math and a B in English.

However, I enjoy college quite a bit more and consequently have a 4.0 GPA (majoring in Biology).
    Hands in the air, it's a robbery.

MBTI
    INTP

Well it seems that my experiences have been shared by people who have achieved success in some way. That's good to hear.

Thanks for the responses guys.