User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Don't worry. I've been an engineer for quite a while. Unless you want to get into a research position your marks are not that important, even for your first job. Creativity will often go much further than sheer academics. I have worked with Phd's who perform poorly when faced with simple problem solving tasks.

In the work world, you will not use most of what you learned. University simply gives you the background. 95% of what you need will be learned on the job. As long as you get your degree, you will be OK, as long as you don't graduate during a recession.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Darjur View Post
    Nope, and it's not in tests.
    You were smart.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Don't worry. I've been an engineer for quite a while. Unless you want to get into a research position your marks are not that important, even for your first job. Creativity will often go much further than sheer academics. I have worked with Phd's who perform poorly when faced with simple problem solving tasks.

In the work world, you will not use most of what you learned. University simply gives you the background. 95% of what you need will be learned on the job. As long as you get your degree, you will be OK, as long as you don't graduate during a recession.
    Well, being a junior I'll graduate in 2010. Obviously no one can completely predict the direction the economy will take in the next two years, but I'd say its pretty likely companies will still be feeling the effects of the recession. Not to mention the damage the US auto industry has endured in the last few years will effect the job market for a long time. Who knows how many engineers will lose their jobs before this is over.

Also, a number of the companies who recruit at my school maintain a strict 3.0 cutoff. This is the main reason why I'm worrying. They won't even give me a change to demonstrate my strengths or experience. I've seen kids get their resumes literally handed back to them. We'll see what happens I suppose.

Can I ask what company you work for?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I think the outlook for engineers will be good, as it is a practical field (vs. psychology which might not go very far in the recession/depression). It's part of the reason I'm switching my focus onto electrical engineering as my major.

MBTI
    INTj

I suspect that companies who are so particular about marks, might have a rigid and bureaucratic culture. They look good from the outside, but you become just another cog in the wheel. It could make you question your choice of career before your first year is up. Friends of mine who worked for really big companies often complain that they end up specializing in too narrow of an area and worry whether they have developed the skill sets to be employable anywhere else. In fact, one of the guys I'm working with has worked years at a megacompany, but had no opportunity to do design work. I didn't even know he was a design engineer when I first met him.

I prefer to keep my company anonymous so I don't end up accidentally offending anyone. But there's nothing unique about them.

One again, don't worry too much about your grades, as long as you pass. Your ability to sell yourself will count much more than anything else. Also, I find that most engineering managers are "S" types, so they will value experience above all else. Try to get some related work experience on your resume before you graduate. Do your uni offer a co-op program?

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

My time management is flat-out horrible. Causes me plenty of grief at work, too. However I can say my abilities in school were pretty good, always B-average but I was good at taking tests and such. Course I wasn't in an Ivy league school, I went to a community college and IMO it was not all that challenging to my abilities. Additionally time management wasn't as much of a concern back then 'cause I didn't have much of a social life at *all* and therefore had plenty of alone-time to study.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INTj

The biggest threat to engineering (in North America) is outsourcing. Asia is rapidly gaining competency. The glut of talent will exert a downward pressure on salaries here. Be careful not to overspecialize.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I suspect that companies who are so particular about marks, might have a rigid and bureaucratic culture. They look good from the outside, but you become just another cog in the wheel. It could make you question your choice of career before your first year is up. Friends of mine who worked for really big companies often complain that they end up specializing in too narrow of an area and worry whether they have developed the skill sets to be employable anywhere else. In fact, one of the guys I'm working with has worked years at a megacompany, but had no opportunity to do design work. I didn't even know he was a design engineer when I first met him.
    I have to echo this point and tell it from a unique perspective. I've worked at my company for ~6.5 years and have seen it go from a very cool dot-com/startup type of company to an increasingly regimented bureaucracy in the making (all a function of company size & revenue & us getting bought out), and I've watched my job responsibilities go from a very wide scope (which was possible 'cause we were smaller and weren't doing as much as we do now) to a more specialized role, where my biggest challenges include bumping against my horrible time management and having to dot my I's and cross my T's correctly, then finding out the 'correct' way changes 2 months later. That kind of crap.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INTP

I prefer to keep my company anonymous so I don't end up accidentally offending anyone. But there's nothing unique about them.

One again, don't worry too much about your grades, as long as you pass. Your ability to sell yourself will count much more than anything else. Also, I find that most engineering managers are "S" types, so they will value experience above all else. Try to get some related work experience on your resume before you graduate. Do your uni offer a co-op program?
    Well this is encouraging. I interned at a consulting firm specializing in power last summer and I'm going on 3 years participation in my schools FSAE team and I've designed a number of parts for the car. I'll probably be a team leader next year. So no Co-Op for me, internships and FSAE instead.

MBTI
    INTP

I think I'll focus more on medium to smaller companies where I'll have a greater probability to get face time with HR or management.