User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Orbit View Post
    That seems odd to me. Yelling and rage all seem like mechanisms used when you are upset (UPSET = HURT FEELINGS?!?! maybe...you tell me)

But I don't claim to understand the nt mindset at all. Probably the hardest types for me to understand actually.
    Yelling and raging out of frustration doesn't imply that the PERSON is important to me, but rather that the POINT is. Someone doesn't get my VERY IMPORTANT, VERY SIMPLE POINT and that's a major pet peeve. My feelings aren't hurt if they still refuse to get it, only my remaining faith in the intelligence of humankind. Once it becomes obvious that there's nothing I can say to change their minds, I walk away without looking back.
    "The subject chooses to sit in shadow and search for wisdom by reflecting upon his trial. The problem is not that he is cold and wet, but that cold and wet seems problematic, so he embraces those hardships in order to best them."

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    When the alpha is challenged and they snarl and bite and claw at the challenger, are his feelings hurt? When presidential candidates go into a frothy rage on the podium, are his feelings hurt?
    We are comparing NTs to animals are we?

However, you make valid points.

I think a lot of you are assuming that in the case that someone challenges your intelligence, they are wrong and you are right. How cute it that?

So, lets say, I do challenge your intelligence, show you that you are incompetent in comparison to me, and that you will never be as smart as me. What would you do in this, quite unlikely, case?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I think a bunch of these NTs claiming not to get their feelings hurt are a bit full of it. I know too many NTs that will go ablaze with fury if you insult their competence or even hint that they might not know what they are talking about. Of course they could just be immature, who really knows.
    Absolutely right, but I wouldnt call it immaturity, just lack of knowledge
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I think a lot of you are assuming that in the case that someone challenges your intelligence, they are wrong and you are right. How cute it that?

So, lets say, I do challenge your intelligence, show you that you are incompetent in comparison to me, and that you will never be as smart as me. What would you do in this, quite unlikely, case?
    I'd suck it up, be a tad bit pissed.

Sleep in the library for a few nights and destroy you in the morning.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I think it's the most accurate comparison.

You can't show that to me. The only way to show that would be to kill me right then and there, and in that case, I wouldn't be feeling anything because I'd be, well, you know, dead.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I'll be back in the morning to check on you guys. Enjoy
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTP

Study something else.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Darjur View Post
    I'd suck it up, be a tad bit pissed.

Sleep in the library for a few nights and destroy you in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    You can't show that to me. The only way to show that would be to kill me right then and there, and in that case, I wouldn't be feeling anything because I'd be, well, you know, dead.
    Thats a good attitude to have methinks. If I got raped by someone's absolute intelligence, I would bow down to them for the rest of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    Study something else.
    Exactly what I would do!

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Absolutely right, but I wouldnt call it immaturity, just lack of knowledge
    Well, what do you think: does an NT get more mature with more knowledge or less mature?

I have a friend, who I must admit is pretty damn smart (NT) and another friend who has what i would call average intelligence (SFP i think)

But I notice they handle information differently. The NT seems to hoard the information and hold it over someone's head. He acts like he's so great because he has mastered a subject and will laugh at anyone who knows less than him. The SF will share her knowledge even if its not alot. Its really endearing, I wonder how often NTs exhibit this behaviour though

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    But, by and large, NT's rarely have self-esteem problems.. so that trigger is usually never activated. And we tend to be guarded, so we don't let a lot of people in close enough to hurt us.

Does that seem accurate to the other NT's here?
    Guarded, yes. But I think self-esteem can be a problem for my type.

I've been thinking about this recently. NTs don't respect feeling, as a rule. Their own of that of others. They squash it and numb it and ignore it and ridicule it. But of course it doesn't go away, it just surfaces in unhealthy ways.

Not all feeling is created equal. As you can see from this thread, they will tolerate rage/indignation/frustration in themselves before they will allow that they can be hurt. Allowing someone else to hurt you impinges on your autonomy. It suggests that you are not in complete control of your environment - that would never do.

Personally, what hurts me is when ppl that are close to me, that I expect to understand me, don't. Especially, if they impute bad motives to me, because of that misunderstanding. Also, I find manipulative/dishonest behaviour hurtful. I'm more likely to allow myself to experience this as anger though.

EDIT
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_orbit
    Well, what do you think: does an NT get more mature with more knowledge or less mature?
    Maturity and knowledge are not correlated, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.