User Tag List

First 162425262728 Last

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I just think it's a matter of how our cognitive processes work. While NTs that aren't fooling themselves will admit to having "feelings" and emotion, it just doesn't really factor in to our decision making or behavioral framework at all. We don't really consider them important when it comes to making a decision or examining a situation.

If an NT says "I don't really have feelings" I think he is just trying to insist "they're there, but irrelevant, so there's no point explaining to you the distinction."

But yes, NFs do seem to want to see emotions follow their course in everybody as they do themselves. Which is fine, because that's how you work. But feelings don't play the same role with NTs as they do NFs, so what Stigmatic is saying is essentially true, in my opinion.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmatic View Post
    It is fear. They need to believe others have deep wells of repressed emotion because they can then appraise themselves healthy for dealing with theirs. The thinker's common low regard for feeling - the forte of the NF - is insulting to the feeler unless they see it as pathology. It is a selfish will to power, no matter how much they couch it in concern for "the health" of the thinker.
    Interesting point, and certainly true for many NFs.

But we are talking about assessments about other people's emotional depths or lack thereof, where the FPs are super-confident in their ability to tell you how you feel and how you deal with feelings better than you are, and therefore ascribe pathology if you say they are wrong. Why the need to see pathology? Let's probe the feelers on this. Because they are more often wrong on diagnosing me than thinkers are.
    If they consistently project, and project wrongly, then it's probably for the reasons you cited above.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    If this is not just personal opinion, please cite your sources.
    Sorry, I can't exactly cite personal observations.

I will tell you that I essentially spend 5+ hours a day, if not longer (and have consciously for at least 6 years) thinking about/systematizing/discussing other people's feelings and motivations. Not that this is necessarily reason to believe me...but I bet I've spent a lot more time thinking about it than most people.

I don't go around telling people they're traumatized, either. Sometimes I'll bring something like this up after getting to know someone really well, but only if I know I'm right (they've alluded to things, etc.)

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Your observations contrast with mine.
    Do you listen when NTs talk about their experiences with feelings? What do you think about the fact that so many do not agree with your description? Do you believe you know them better than they know themselves?
    That's irrelevant if you know a T type really well and have actually observed them supress/deny emotions. When someone is shouting and throwing things and the veins on their neck are popping and you say, "Why are you so angry?" and they say "What? I'm not angry." denial is happening.

Just to be clear my point is not that Ts always deny their emotions, it's just that sometimes some do. But sometimes we all do.

And you're a T so you want the truth right? I also think that Fs do, overall, if even slightly, have an easier time dealing with their emotions (just like Ts have an easier time stringing together a logical argument for a debate) because Fs are not so concerned with things always being logical. Emotions are often not logical at all. They're there. They happen. Sometimes they come out of nowhere and have no apparent souce. They don't always make sense.

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Anywho, I think you guys are all missing the big picture here.

And that would be that it would me much better if you all came over to my house for a hot tub party instead of arguing back and forth in this thread.

:P :P
    What kind of booze do you have?

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

And that would be that it would me much more fun if you all came over to my house for a hot tub party instead of hanging out in this thread.

=P =P =P

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post

And that would be that it would me much more fun if you all came over to my house for a hot tub party instead of hanging out in this thread.

=P =P =P
    That's sensor thinking if I've ever heard it.

MBTI
    INTP

Get my feelings hurt at being called cold-hearted? Hahahaha.
    Hands in the air, it's a robbery.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I kinda feel hurt if someone thinks I'm INFP.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Drifter View Post
    Get my feelings hurt at being called cold-hearted? Hahahaha.
    Is that because it's true? Or because it's not true? Or does the truth or lack of truth in it have nothing to do with it? Oh wait it's probably just because you don't value warm-heartedness. I'm still curious if truth or lack of truth matters though.

EDIT! I was assuming it doesn't bother you at all but you just said that it doesn't hurt you. Does it affect you in a negative way sometimes?

MBTI
    CLUE

neglected muscles atrophy
    This is true, but a feeler may well use thinking enough to not be thought as neglecting the function, and vice versa. Muscles may atrophy, but what I am getting at is the assumption that the muscles are atrophied when the outward show does not match what a feeler calculates how you must feel.

If an NT says "I don't really have feelings" I think he is just trying to insist "they're there, but irrelevant, so there's no point explaining to you the distinction."
    It translates to "I don't have any feelings worth talking about." It is rare to hear that bald statement, "I have no feelings". What I hear more is "I don't have strong feelings." Anyone making the former statement invites ridicule.

That's irrelevant if you know a T type really well and have actually observed them supress/deny emotions.
    your subjective observation, of course. But it is very relevant if you don't know the thinker, as in the case of communities. It seems that NFs will have their reactions by any means. If you do not respond to the first stimulus, the will have it by henpecking your lack of reaction.
    And you're a T so you want the truth right? I also think that Fs do, overall, if even slightly, have an easier time dealing with their emotions (just like Ts have an easier time stringing together a logical argument for a debate) because Fs are not so concerned with things always being logical. Emotions are often not logical at all. They're there. They happen. Sometimes they come out of nowhere and have no apparent souce. They don't always make sense.
    I certainly agree that Fs are more comfortable in the realm of their emotions - recognizing and classifying them. Many, though not all, are better with dealing with them as they arise. What I was curious about is where they extend this facility to presume to know how others - sometimes strangers - are feeling and insist on trauma or repression if the evidence does not match their assumptions.

Thank you Evan and other feelers for taking a shot at an explanation from the source.