User Tag List

First 12202122232432 Last

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    So if we're talking about archetypes, I'd say the archetypal unhealthy NT pretends (unconsciously) that they don't have feelings. And they're wrong.
    If you close your eyes they go away.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by A Schnitzel View Post
    If you close your eyes they go away.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Many people that cling to the letter T (not all Ts of course, just the ones who pretend not to have emotions) have incredibly strong feelings that they constantly suppress.

They consciously don't think their feelings get hurt, but they're just lying to themselves. It's like they're constantly getting rocks thrown at them and they never move out of the way. When I protect them from the rocks, they act like I'm crazy; they think they're invincible. They think the people who dodge the rocks are silly, but every once in a while they wonder...hmmm...where are all these bruises coming from? And then they move on to the next thought as fast as possible because they realize they're the ones being immature and they don't want to admit it.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Could all the F's please be direct and quote the T posts they're referring to, so I can tell whether you've misunderstood me or whether you were reading someone else's posts and I can stop being confused and paranoid?

(CLARITY!!!!)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Okay, I can't say I'm hurt by this...
    .. but it does scare the hell out of me.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I was offended until I saw the wink.

Now, I'm just regaled...!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I was offended until I saw the wink.
    Now, I'm just regaled...!
    And fileted -- I think the fat guy has a knife.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    CLUE

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I suppose that could be true.

But then there's that whole other issue of whenever an NF decides that somebody must be feeling a certain emotion at a certain point, then if they refuse, there's something wrong. Perhaps someone did have a fucked up childhood and are refusing to accept it -- or they could be telling the truth and you don't know/understand them well enough to make such judgments about their emotional state. Or, possibly more likely, they just don't think they have to tell you.
    It is fear. They need to believe others have deep wells of repressed emotion because they can then appraise themselves healthy for dealing with theirs. The thinker's common low regard for feeling - the forte of the NF - is insulting to the feeler unless they see it as pathology. It is a selfish will to power, no matter how much they couch it in concern for "the health" of the thinker.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmatic View Post
    It is fear. They need to believe others have deep wells of repressed emotion because they can then appraise themselves healthy for dealing with theirs. The thinker's common low regard for feeling - the forte of the NF - is insulting to the feeler unless they see it as pathology. It is a selfish will to power, no matter how much they couch it in concern for "the health" of the thinker.
    Huh? This is outlandish speculation at best. Why would anyone feel fear about this? Why waste my time trying to justify how others should do things that don't come naturally to them?

Anyway, the way I see it.. The T's who do put some effort in regulating or at least acknowledging the existence of some degree of emotion within their being, are far better off than those who don't. If you seek to stifle, deny, or ignore something for too long, it's going to slow you down in the long run.

With that said, I don't think T's "process" emotions the same way that F's do. But they are there, and should be acknowledged to some degree, at least to one's self (not publicly, the bane of a T).
    I-44 N-88 F-62 J-67

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. -Winston Churchill

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Anyway, the way I see it.. The T's who do put some effort in regulating or at least acknowledging the existence of some degree of emotion within their being, are far better off than those who don't. If you seek to stifle, deny, or ignore something for too long, it's going to slow you down in the long run.

With that said, I don't think T's "process" emotions the same way that F's do. But they are there, and should be acknowledged to some degree, at least to one's self (not publicly, the bane of a T).
    Is there a flip version of this?

That the Feeler might fear to be seen as uncompassionate or not concerned/considerate enough and will have a tendency to cater to the emotive aspects of things regardless of what intellectual assessment might be made of the situation? (i.e., they know what was said and expected... but they still feel the need to cover their bases and show they were thinking of the other person's feelings.)

Just as T's might find emotive displays or acting off "personal values" rather than justifiable standards more threatening to their sense of well-being, do F's find the thought of acting from some impersonal assessment more threatening to their sense of being compassionate considerate people?

I'm just curious.

(I thought a lot of NTs that spoke here would rather be thought of as "mean" than "illogical," if given the choice. NFs often seem to veer in the other direction.)

EDIT: Which leads me to this idea, now that my mind has raced ahead.

After a situation has been resolved, if you see someone (often a T) insisting on reexplaining their view/logic or articulating it more deeply (after the fact), it stems from a fear of being seen as stupid or irrational.

And if you see someone reiterating their commitment/sensitivity in that same context (often an F, and doing it when there's no point to it, since the situation was already resolved) just to be safe, it stems from a fear of being seen as mean or insensitive.

I've seen myself do both. It's not really done for the other person; it really IS more fear... of how I might be mistakenly perceived.