User Tag List

First 11192021222331 Last

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    It's the conscious rejection of feeling.
    Some of my NF friends tell me that I must be holding my emotions back because their full intensity must not be fully expressed, because my emotions--and my responses to my emotions--aren't as intense as theirs.

It's possible that some here are exaggerating their "robotic" tendencies. It's also possible that they just aren't as affected by feelings as other types.

I suppose it's also possible that they're not in touch with their feelings and so aren't aware of them.

But I guess I just find it highly unlikely that every single NT, or at least those in this thread, has suffered some form of abuse, and that is the cause of their lack of emotion.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I suppose that could be true.

But then there's that whole other issue of whenever an NF decides that somebody must be feeling a certain emotion at a certain point, then if they refuse, there's something wrong. Perhaps someone did have a fucked up childhood and are refusing to accept it -- or they could be telling the truth and you don't know/understand them well enough to make such judgments about their emotional state. Or, possibly more likely, they just don't think they have to tell you.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    But then there's that whole other issue of whenever an NF decides that somebody must be feeling a certain emotion at a certain point, then if they refuse, there's something wrong.
    Well, yeah. It's clearly ridiculous of anyone to assume that they are right about someone else's feelings all the time.

I'm just talking about people that take the stance "emotion is weak". Those people have some major problems on their hands.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    But I guess I just find it highly unlikely that every single NT, or at least those in this thread, has suffered some form of abuse, and that is the cause of their lack of emotion.
    Jeez. I never said anything remotely like that.

What I'm talking about isn't restricted to NTs, nor does it apply to all of them.

I was an example of what I'm talking about earlier in my life. Definitely not only an NT thing.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I'm talking about the entirety of this thread. It seems to be based on this assumption.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

garbage

I'm just talking about people that take the stance "emotion is weak". Those people have some major problems on their hands.
    Oh, whoops. Sorry for misreading you.

I agree with you, but I'd like to generalize. I believe that there's definitely a place for feeling and thought judgments, a place for intuition and sensing, and all of the possible combinations thereof. I watch in awe as my good ENFJ friend is able to pick up on social cues instantaneously and naturally, for example.

To say that one type or one way of viewing or valuing the world is more valid than others overall and without question is just.. absolutely ridiculous.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I'm talking about the entirety of this thread. It seems to be based on this assumption.
    Oh. Well I jumped in sometime in the last few pages, so I have no idea...

This is the problem with typology. It's too black/white. You're either a T or an F. If you're one, there's one set of things that applies to you, if you're the other, it's an entirely different set. What a bunch of bullshit.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    To say that one type or one way of viewing or valuing the world is more valid than others overall and without question is just.. absolutely ridiculous.
    Well, there are certainly losing strategies...but all types can have winning strategies.

Honestly, though, there are many ways of viewing the world that are incredibly maladaptive.

garbage

Honestly, though, there are many ways of viewing the world that are incredibly maladaptive.
    Oh yeah, my statement was in regard to the archetypal representations of the types themselves, that one isn't on the whole better than any other. Surely, unhealthy individuals of any type might have a distorted view of the world that is, well, unhealthy and maladaptive.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

So if we're talking about archetypes, I'd say the archetypal unhealthy NT pretends (unconsciously) that they don't have feelings. And they're wrong.

But yeah, healthy people are fine