User Tag List

First 10181920212230 Last

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Have you vested emotions in me?
    Name your first born in my honour and we can talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    If you guys kiss, I'm outta here to go get my camera!
    I was gonna play with this till I saw the hidden text What happens in the emotive NT thread, stays in the emotive NT thread! No cameras!

Talk to you later Sunshine

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Anyone who claims to not have feelings, or not to be affected by them, has a birth defect of some sort. Or has learned to stifle that natural and necessary side of their health. We are born with feelings for a reason.

The feeling function is included within the sixteen personality types because it is a part of human makeup. If we are born healthy we have the capacity to feel and express our feelings. Baby's all do it. Except for the ones who have been damaged in some way. Those are the ones who are silent and appear passive and it's automatic to assume that there is something wrong with a baby which doesn't gurgle in contendedness or cry in fear or pain.

Some find theirs too difficult to manage or express and so develop the habit of overlooking them to the point that they are accustomed to denying their existence. That can be because of damage while being developed in the womb or by neglect or damage in their childhood.

Obviously some types have less need for development of feelings than other types. And some types have more need to learn feeling management and recognition than other types. But the fact remains that a healthy human is born with the need and capacity for emotion.

I was neither neglected nor abused as a child. There was no trauma. Growing up, I was treated like an absolute princess (in case it isn't clear, I'm a woman).

So please, just stop it with this nonsense. Oh wait, you won't ... because you believe what you want to believe despite contrary evidence.

Christ. :rolli:

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    I was neither neglected nor abused as a child. There was no trauma. Growing up, I was treated like an absolute princess (in case it isn't clear, I'm a woman).

So please, just stop it with this nonsense. Oh wait, you won't ... because you believe what you want to believe despite contrary evidence.

Christ. :rolli:
    You're saying you aren't affected by feelings?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

She's not really upset -- she's just trying to trick you into believing she is!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFJ

How come everyone who emotes differently or very little must be victim of some sort of abuse? Is it really so much of a crime that it must be excused this way?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    How come everyone who emotes differently or very little must be victim of some sort of abuse? Is it really so much of a crime that it must be excused this way?
    It's not emoting differently that we're talking about.

It's the conscious rejection of feeling.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    It's not emoting differently that we're talking about.

It's the conscious rejection of feeling.
    Then why must that always be prompted by abuse?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Then why must that always be prompted by abuse?
    Because it's incredibly highly correlated. (Not necessarily abuse, but some sort of unmet need.) For every single person I've been close to, I can (and do, it's my obsession) come up with a logically sound system for why they emote in the fashion that they do based on their childhood, etc.

Plus, these things are basics in psychology. It's not like there's no science involved.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Because it's incredibly highly correlated. (Not necessarily abuse, but some sort of unmet need.) For every single person I've been close to, I can (and do, it's my obsession) come up with a logically sound system for why they emote in the fashion that they do based on their childhood, etc.

Plus, these things are basics in psychology. It's not like there's no science involved.
    Unmet need? I can't think of a single person on earth that has completely met needs. So it could have come from anywhere.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Unmet need? I can't think of a single person on earth that has completely met needs. So it could have come from anywhere.
    I realized while rereading my post that I wasn't specific enough.

I meant like an unmet basic childhood need.

At least based on my observations (which there are a shitload of, I'm obsessed with people/motivations; it's my life project), people that consciously reject feeling always come from fucked up childhoods. Every single one I've seen.

Fucked up can mean under-nurtured, over-nurtured (stifled), abused (verbally or physically), sexually messed with, exposed to death, etc. etc.

Also I know a few people that in high school completely rejected their feelings (thought people that let emotions come to the surface were weak, that they were strong for not feeling, blah blah) that look back now and realize how in denial they were.

A conscious fight to maintain "rationality" and push down feeling is ALWAYS a signifier of unresolved major personal issues. ALWAYS.

Anyway, the most rational of people would include their own emotional responses and those of others in their framework of rationality.

People that think feelings are to be rejected are really just refusing to see the reality in front of them. They're like little children.

Note: I have personal experience here. For most of my life (until at least 16) I totally rejected feeling. I thought it was for stupid people. I thought if I just tried hard enough and thought hard enough, I would overcome the obstacle of feeling. And the truth is, IT WORKS, at least in the short term. You CAN reject feeling, and it does remove you from your emotion; it does allow detached rationality. But you're borrowing from the future... All you're doing is putting off feeling. It's not like it goes away, it just stacks up for later. And one day it will build too high.