User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: NT Musician

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTP

Default NT Musician

I thought this deserved a thread of it's own. SP, NF, and SJ artists are a dime a dozen. NT artist are rare.

I immediately got the NT vibe from his lyrics and monotone voice. My first guess is INTP.

He made a song about being different. NT's can relate to the Verse 1

YouTube - KID CUDI- MAN ON THE MOON

I never gave a fuck
    I never a fuck about what niggas thought about me
    I mean did but fuck it you know what I'm sayin

Verse1
    They can't comprehend
    Or even come close to understanding him
    I guess if I was boring they would love me more
    Guess if I was simple in the mind
    Everything would be fine
    Maybe if I was jerk to girls
    Instead of being nice and speakin kind words
    But then maybe it would be ok to say then
    I wasn't a good guy to begin with

HOOK
    But now my mind is all crazy, crazy, crazy...
    They gat me thinkin ine human,
    Like I came in from above, above, above...
    Feelin like a airplane in the sky
    But then they say I'm crazy, crazy, crazy...
    They gat me thinkin ine human,
    Like I came in from above, above, above...
    Feelin like a bird sittin high

CHORUS
    I be that man on the moon
    I'm that man on the moon
    And imma do what I do so
    Do you hey hey
    I be posted with a blunt and a brew my dude
    I'm that man on the moon
    I'm up up on the moon

V2
    Close my eyes, hide in the dark
    It's a curtain call, come one come all
    All I try to do is make it simple
    The ones that make it complicated
    Never get congratulated
    I'm sumtin different in all aspects
    Don't want a woman jus to love her assets
    Still wife her up even with her flat chest
    The type to get hurt
    But that's the past tense

HOOK
    But now my mind is all hazy, hazy, hazy...
    I be thinkin that I'm ball,
    Becuz they used to call me wayne, wayne, wayne...
    But my swag was a little different
    But now my mind is all hazy, hazy, hazy...
    I be thinkin that I'm ball,
    But they the ones that blame, blame, blame...
    I gat the last laugh nigga

And his big hit about being a lonely stoner.

YouTube - Kid Cudi - Day And Night

Day n nite. I toss and turn, I keep stressin my mind, mind.
    I look for peace, but see I dont attain.
    What I need for keeps this silly game we play, play.
    Now look at this.
    Madness the magnet keeps attracting me, me.
    I try to run, but see Im not that fast.
    I think the first but surely finish last, last.Cause day n nite.
    The lonely stoner seems to free his mind at nite
    Hes all alone through the day n nite.
    The lonely loner seems to free his mind at nite, ah ah at nite.
    Day n nite.
    The lonely stoner seems to free his mind at nite.
    Hes all alone, some things will never change.
    The lonely loner seems to free his mind at nite, ah ah at nite

Hold the phone.
    The lonely stoner missed his solo doe low.
    Hes on the move, cant seem to shake the shake.
    Within his dreams he sees the life he made.
    Made.
    The pain is deep.
    A silent sleeper, you wont hear a peep, peep.
    The girl he wants dont seem to want him too.
    It seems the feelings that she had are through.
    Through.

Cause day n nite.
    Day n nite.
    The lonely loner seems to free his mind at nite, ah ah at nite

Slow mo.
    When the tempo slows up and creates that new, new.
    He seems alive, though he is feelin blue.
    The sun is shinin man hes super cool.
    Cool.
    The lonely nites, they fade away he slips into his white Nikes.
    He smokes a clip and then hes on the way,
    To free his mind in search of

Day n nite.
    Day n nite.
    The lonely loner seems to free his mind at night, ah ah at night.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Word could be INTJ as well. Cool shit. I don't know you so I have no idea what music you're into, but one artist that I've noticed has really consistently NT-themed lyrics is Incubus. Check it out if you're not already a fan?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

I've seen pretty strong cases made for Jay-Z being an INTJ. Trent Reznor for sure.

INTP musicians, though... I'm extremely interested to see other candidates people cite. (Not being sarcastic.)
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

Music tends to attract more F's than T's, so that means finding profession NT musicians is going to be fairly difficult. The only thing that comes to mind is that I know at least one of the two guys from "They Might Be Giants" is an ENTP, but I am not sure which one.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Neil Peart of Rush

"Know your place in life is where you want to be
    Don't let them tell you that you owe it all to me
    Keep on looking forward; no use in looking 'round
    Hold your head above the ground and they won't bring you down

Anthem of the heart and anthem of the mind
    A funeral dirge for eyes gone blind
    We marvel after those who sought
    New wonders in the world, wonders in the world,
    Wonders in the world they wrought.

Live for yourself -- there's no one else
    More worth living for
    Begging hands and bleeding hearts will
    Only cry out for more

Well, I know they've always told you
    Selfishness was wrong
    Yet it was for me, not you, I
    Came to write this song"

-Anthem, by Rush
    Hands in the air, it's a robbery.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Music tends to attract more F's than T's, so that means finding profession NT musicians is going to be fairly difficult. The only thing that comes to mind is that I know at least one of the two guys from "They Might Be Giants" is an ENTP, but I am not sure which one.
    No, they are both solidly NF. I've seen them live a whole bunch of times and actually met both of them at least once after shows; Linnell is INFJ and Flansburgh is ENFP (Flans tends to come out and talk to fans more often, as well as being responsible for most of their stage banter.)

Linnell's lyrics are also more INFJ in nature--introspective, replete with irony, deadpan humor, allusions to other works and even self-mocking at times, Linnell's songs are the ones that usually try to offer a serious commentary about the way we all work together in this big crazy world, and the tragic implications of emotional disconnection--though still with an obvious respect for the power of love. (One of my favorites is "They'll Need a Crane!" Check it out.)

Flansburgh's songs are more just about funny, zany, off the wall things. He's outwardly creative with a finely honed sense of personal warmth and charm, but his main focus is to be an entertainer above all--and it works; every band needs a frontman. Robot Parade ftw!!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I've seen pretty strong cases made for Jay-Z being an INTJ. Trent Reznor for sure.

INTP musicians, though... I'm extremely interested to see other candidates people cite. (Not being sarcastic.)
    Not sure, but I think there's a good chance Les Claypool is INTP. Also, Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

More NT musicians:

--Billy Corgan (vocals/guitar) of the Smashing Pumpkins--ENTJ (so ENTJ, in fact, that it's not a stretch to say that he IS the Smashing Pumkins)

--Tom Morello (guitar) of Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave--likely INTJ.

--Dirk Lance (bass) formerly of Incubus--INTJ. (Also Brandon Boyd, their singer, seems very likely to be ENTP, as I mentioned above.)

--Maynard James Keenan (vocals) of Tool/A Perfect Circle--INTJ. He hates being bothered in public by fans (I) and reportedly shows little restraint in rudely telling them off when this happens (T), and his lyrics are obviously chock full of encouragement to ignore the traditional system and think for oneself (N). For more evidence of his Introversion, has anyone seen any of Tool's live shows lately? He so desperately wants to remove the focus from himself as the lead singer that he now stands in back of the stage next to the drum riser, facing sideways. He also very rarely speaks to crowds during concerts at all, and is notoriously unavailable for interviews. His general "I hate people and people hate me" attitude sounds awfully similar to some INTJs that I know...*wink*

--Nick Hexum of 311 (vocals/guitar)--ENTP. ("Don't, don't, don't, don't even try it--you don't wanna disrespect me / If dealing with punks was school, I'd have a Harvard degree!") ("What if the truth is that there is no truth?")

--Ben Folds (vocals/piano)--INTP; he obviously hates tradition for the sake of tradition and he LOVES being a smart ass--and check out his obvious slacker attitude in songs like "One Down." (Background: He was under a time-based songwriting contract for his record label, so there came a point at which he was legally required to write 4.6 more songs for them before his contract expired. Hence the lyric, "One down and 3.6 tomorrow--then I'm out of here.")

--Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (guitar) and Cedric Bixler-Zavala (vocals) of The Mars Volta seem pretty NT to me. Probably INTJ for Omar and ENTP for Cedric.

--Isaac Brock (vocals/guitar) of Modest Mouse! I've done a lot of thinking about him and I'm almost positive he's an NT (just look at his insistence on making his own path, and his 984353 satirical songs about why God is ridiculous), but the other two letters seem a little fuzzy. I guess I would have to place him as INTP; he seems only to be the band's frontman out of necessity--for him, the song creation process is much more important than the live performance. He also speaks frequently of ambling through life and feeling directionless ("I like songs about drifters, books about the same--they both seem to make me feel a little less insane."), which is very P, it would seem.

--John Lennon (vocals/guitar) of The Beatles was most certainly an NT, and my guess would be ENTP--he was all about being shocking and getting attention for it, but he also had a lot of ideas (both musically and philosophically) that were revelatory at the time. Not only did he not care when his polemic remarks pissed people off ("The Beatles are bigger than Jesus!"), he reveled in it.

--Brian "Dexter" Holland (vocals/guitar) of The Offspring, believe it or not, has a doctorate in molecular biology and was Valedictorian of his high school class. This guy has to be an NT, and probably some sort of NTJ at that. Best guess: ENTJ.

--Rivers Cuomo (vocals/guitar) of Weezer is very obviously INTJ in a lot of different ways. Most of all it's the fact that he artificially constructed a rock band with extremely marketable songs from the ground up (rumor has it he actually kept a notebook of tricks for making catchy songs) specifically for the broader overall goal of becoming a rock star--INTJs are masters of long-term deception, when they see a reason to be.

--Pete Wentz (bass/lyrics) of Fall Out Boy is about as narcissistic-ENTP as it gets. You guys can laugh at me for it but I'm actually a fan of this band, and every lyric (plus the ridiculously over the top, almost self-mocking song title puns!) is dripping with double-meanings and sardonic venom. ("Make us poster boys for your scene, but we are not making an acceptance speech / I found the safest place to keep all our old mistakes / Every dotcom's refreshing for a journal update." "So hum hallelujah, just off the key of reason / I thought I loved you, it was just how you looked in the light / A teenage vow in a parking lot / Till tonight do us part / I sing the blues and you swallow them too.") and so on and so forth. He openly tells us repeatedly in the lyrics to his records that he is conning us for millions of dollars in record/ticket/merch sales, but the masses are "so stupid" that they keep buying it anyway--I can hardly think of something more attractive to the self-brilliance-obsessed ENTP.

That's about all I can think of for now. It's a shame that it's so difficult to type non-lyricist members because they so rarely seem to offer any public insight into their personalities. Oh well...let me know what you guys think?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SUPER View Post
    I thought this deserved a thread of it's own. SP, NF, and SJ artists are a dime a dozen. NT artist are rare.

I immediately got the NT vibe from his lyrics and monotone voice. My first guess is INTP.

He made a song about being different. NT's can relate to the Verse 1

YouTube - KID CUDI- MAN ON THE MOON

And his big hit about being a lonely stoner.

YouTube - Kid Cudi - Day And Night

These songs are great, especially Man On The Moon. And I can definitely relate to what he's saying.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Of the two of my closest ENTP friends, one is an incredible singer, and sings in choirs, and the other plays bass guitar, guitar, and bassoon.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?