• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT Musician

SUPER

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
I thought this deserved a thread of it's own. SP, NF, and SJ artists are a dime a dozen. NT artist are rare.

I immediately got the NT vibe from his lyrics and monotone voice. My first guess is INTP.

He made a song about being different. NT's can relate to the Verse 1

YouTube - KID CUDI- MAN ON THE MOON

I never gave a fuck
I never a fuck about what niggas thought about me
I mean did but fuck it you know what I'm sayin

Verse1
They can't comprehend
Or even come close to understanding him
I guess if I was boring they would love me more
Guess if I was simple in the mind
Everything would be fine
Maybe if I was jerk to girls
Instead of being nice and speakin kind words
But then maybe it would be ok to say then
I wasn't a good guy to begin with

HOOK
But now my mind is all crazy, crazy, crazy...
They gat me thinkin ine human,
Like I came in from above, above, above...
Feelin like a airplane in the sky
But then they say I'm crazy, crazy, crazy...
They gat me thinkin ine human,
Like I came in from above, above, above...
Feelin like a bird sittin high

CHORUS
I be that man on the moon
I'm that man on the moon
And imma do what I do so
Do you hey hey
I be posted with a blunt and a brew my dude
I'm that man on the moon
I'm up up on the moon

V2
Close my eyes, hide in the dark
It's a curtain call, come one come all
All I try to do is make it simple
The ones that make it complicated
Never get congratulated
I'm sumtin different in all aspects
Don't want a woman jus to love her assets
Still wife her up even with her flat chest
The type to get hurt
But that's the past tense

HOOK
But now my mind is all hazy, hazy, hazy...
I be thinkin that I'm ball,
Becuz they used to call me wayne, wayne, wayne...
But my swag was a little different
But now my mind is all hazy, hazy, hazy...
I be thinkin that I'm ball,
But they the ones that blame, blame, blame...
I gat the last laugh nigga

And his big hit about being a lonely stoner.

YouTube - Kid Cudi - Day And Night

Day n nite. I toss and turn, I keep stressin’ my mind, mind.
I look for peace, but see I don’t attain.
What I need for keeps this silly game we play, play.
Now look at this.
Madness the magnet keeps attracting me, me.
I try to run, but see I’m not that fast.
I think the first but surely finish last, last.Cause day n nite.
The lonely stoner seems to free his mind at nite
He’s all alone through the day n nite.
The lonely loner seems to free his mind at nite, ah ah at nite.
Day n nite.
The lonely stoner seems to free his mind at nite.
He’s all alone, some things will never change.
The lonely loner seems to free his mind at nite, ah ah at nite

Hold the phone.
The lonely stoner missed his solo doe low.
He’s on the move, can’t seem to shake the shake.
Within his dreams he sees the life he made.
Made.
The pain is deep.
A silent sleeper, you won’t hear a peep, peep.
The girl he wants don’t seem to want him too.
It seems the feelings that she had are through.
Through.

Cause day n nite.
Day n nite.
The lonely loner seems to free his mind at nite, ah ah at nite

Slow mo.
When the tempo slows up and creates that new, new.
He seems alive, though he is feelin blue.
The sun is shinin man he’s super cool.
Cool.
The lonely nites, they fade away he slips into his white Nikes.
He smokes a clip and then he’s on the way,
To free his mind in search of…

Day n nite.
Day n nite.
The lonely loner seems to free his mind at night, ah ah at night.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Word could be INTJ as well. Cool shit. I don't know you so I have no idea what music you're into, but one artist that I've noticed has really consistently NT-themed lyrics is Incubus. Check it out if you're not already a fan?

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've seen pretty strong cases made for Jay-Z being an INTJ. Trent Reznor for sure.

INTP musicians, though... I'm extremely interested to see other candidates people cite. (Not being sarcastic.)

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Music tends to attract more F's than T's, so that means finding profession NT musicians is going to be fairly difficult. The only thing that comes to mind is that I know at least one of the two guys from "They Might Be Giants" is an ENTP, but I am not sure which one.

Samurai Drifter

MBTI Type
INTP
Neil Peart of Rush

"Know your place in life is where you want to be
Don't let them tell you that you owe it all to me
Keep on looking forward; no use in looking 'round
Hold your head above the ground and they won't bring you down

Anthem of the heart and anthem of the mind
A funeral dirge for eyes gone blind
We marvel after those who sought
New wonders in the world, wonders in the world,
Wonders in the world they wrought.

Live for yourself -- there's no one else
More worth living for
Begging hands and bleeding hearts will
Only cry out for more

Well, I know they've always told you
Selfishness was wrong
Yet it was for me, not you, I
Came to write this song"

-Anthem, by Rush

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Music tends to attract more F's than T's, so that means finding profession NT musicians is going to be fairly difficult. The only thing that comes to mind is that I know at least one of the two guys from "They Might Be Giants" is an ENTP, but I am not sure which one.

No, they are both solidly NF. I've seen them live a whole bunch of times and actually met both of them at least once after shows; Linnell is INFJ and Flansburgh is ENFP (Flans tends to come out and talk to fans more often, as well as being responsible for most of their stage banter.)

Linnell's lyrics are also more INFJ in nature--introspective, replete with irony, deadpan humor, allusions to other works and even self-mocking at times, Linnell's songs are the ones that usually try to offer a serious commentary about the way we all work together in this big crazy world, and the tragic implications of emotional disconnection--though still with an obvious respect for the power of love. (One of my favorites is "They'll Need a Crane!" Check it out.)

Flansburgh's songs are more just about funny, zany, off the wall things. He's outwardly creative with a finely honed sense of personal warmth and charm, but his main focus is to be an entertainer above all--and it works; every band needs a frontman. Robot Parade ftw!!

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've seen pretty strong cases made for Jay-Z being an INTJ. Trent Reznor for sure.

INTP musicians, though... I'm extremely interested to see other candidates people cite. (Not being sarcastic.)

Not sure, but I think there's a good chance Les Claypool is INTP. Also, Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
More NT musicians:

--Billy Corgan (vocals/guitar) of the Smashing Pumpkins--ENTJ (so ENTJ, in fact, that it's not a stretch to say that he IS the Smashing Pumkins)

--Tom Morello (guitar) of Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave--likely INTJ.

--Dirk Lance (bass) formerly of Incubus--INTJ. (Also Brandon Boyd, their singer, seems very likely to be ENTP, as I mentioned above.)

--Maynard James Keenan (vocals) of Tool/A Perfect Circle--INTJ. He hates being bothered in public by fans (I) and reportedly shows little restraint in rudely telling them off when this happens (T), and his lyrics are obviously chock full of encouragement to ignore the traditional system and think for oneself (N). For more evidence of his Introversion, has anyone seen any of Tool's live shows lately? He so desperately wants to remove the focus from himself as the lead singer that he now stands in back of the stage next to the drum riser, facing sideways. He also very rarely speaks to crowds during concerts at all, and is notoriously unavailable for interviews. His general "I hate people and people hate me" attitude sounds awfully similar to some INTJs that I know...*wink*

--Nick Hexum of 311 (vocals/guitar)--ENTP. ("Don't, don't, don't, don't even try it--you don't wanna disrespect me / If dealing with punks was school, I'd have a Harvard degree!") ("What if the truth is that there is no truth?")

--Ben Folds (vocals/piano)--INTP; he obviously hates tradition for the sake of tradition and he LOVES being a smart ass--and check out his obvious slacker attitude in songs like "One Down." (Background: He was under a time-based songwriting contract for his record label, so there came a point at which he was legally required to write 4.6 more songs for them before his contract expired. Hence the lyric, "One down and 3.6 tomorrow--then I'm out of here.")

--Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (guitar) and Cedric Bixler-Zavala (vocals) of The Mars Volta seem pretty NT to me. Probably INTJ for Omar and ENTP for Cedric.

--Isaac Brock (vocals/guitar) of Modest Mouse! I've done a lot of thinking about him and I'm almost positive he's an NT (just look at his insistence on making his own path, and his 984353 satirical songs about why God is ridiculous), but the other two letters seem a little fuzzy. I guess I would have to place him as INTP; he seems only to be the band's frontman out of necessity--for him, the song creation process is much more important than the live performance. He also speaks frequently of ambling through life and feeling directionless ("I like songs about drifters, books about the same--they both seem to make me feel a little less insane."), which is very P, it would seem.

--John Lennon (vocals/guitar) of The Beatles was most certainly an NT, and my guess would be ENTP--he was all about being shocking and getting attention for it, but he also had a lot of ideas (both musically and philosophically) that were revelatory at the time. Not only did he not care when his polemic remarks pissed people off ("The Beatles are bigger than Jesus!"), he reveled in it.

--Brian "Dexter" Holland (vocals/guitar) of The Offspring, believe it or not, has a doctorate in molecular biology and was Valedictorian of his high school class. This guy has to be an NT, and probably some sort of NTJ at that. Best guess: ENTJ.

--Rivers Cuomo (vocals/guitar) of Weezer is very obviously INTJ in a lot of different ways. Most of all it's the fact that he artificially constructed a rock band with extremely marketable songs from the ground up (rumor has it he actually kept a notebook of tricks for making catchy songs) specifically for the broader overall goal of becoming a rock star--INTJs are masters of long-term deception, when they see a reason to be.

--Pete Wentz (bass/lyrics) of Fall Out Boy is about as narcissistic-ENTP as it gets. You guys can laugh at me for it but I'm actually a fan of this band, and every lyric (plus the ridiculously over the top, almost self-mocking song title puns!) is dripping with double-meanings and sardonic venom. ("Make us poster boys for your scene, but we are not making an acceptance speech / I found the safest place to keep all our old mistakes / Every dotcom's refreshing for a journal update." "So hum hallelujah, just off the key of reason / I thought I loved you, it was just how you looked in the light / A teenage vow in a parking lot / Till tonight do us part / I sing the blues and you swallow them too.") and so on and so forth. He openly tells us repeatedly in the lyrics to his records that he is conning us for millions of dollars in record/ticket/merch sales, but the masses are "so stupid" that they keep buying it anyway--I can hardly think of something more attractive to the self-brilliance-obsessed ENTP.

That's about all I can think of for now. It's a shame that it's so difficult to type non-lyricist members because they so rarely seem to offer any public insight into their personalities. Oh well...let me know what you guys think?

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I thought this deserved a thread of it's own. SP, NF, and SJ artists are a dime a dozen. NT artist are rare.

I immediately got the NT vibe from his lyrics and monotone voice. My first guess is INTP.

He made a song about being different. NT's can relate to the Verse 1

YouTube - KID CUDI- MAN ON THE MOON

And his big hit about being a lonely stoner.

YouTube - Kid Cudi - Day And Night

These songs are great, especially Man On The Moon. And I can definitely relate to what he's saying.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Of the two of my closest ENTP friends, one is an incredible singer, and sings in choirs, and the other plays bass guitar, guitar, and bassoon.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I always thought Van Morrison was an INTP.

I'm arty. I'm a musician (I play six instruments and have done vocal grades & I write songs too), I do amateur photography and I paint and sketch. And I have performed on stage a lot in the past, too.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
No, they are both solidly NF. I've seen them live a whole bunch of times and actually met both of them at least once after shows; Linnell is INFJ and Flansburgh is ENFP (Flans tends to come out and talk to fans more often, as well as being responsible for most of their stage banter.)

Linnell's lyrics are also more INFJ in nature--introspective, replete with irony, deadpan humor, allusions to other works and even self-mocking at times, Linnell's songs are the ones that usually try to offer a serious commentary about the way we all work together in this big crazy world, and the tragic implications of emotional disconnection--though still with an obvious respect for the power of love. (One of my favorites is "They'll Need a Crane!" Check it out.)

Flansburgh's songs are more just about funny, zany, off the wall things. He's outwardly creative with a finely honed sense of personal warmth and charm, but his main focus is to be an entertainer above all--and it works; every band needs a frontman. Robot Parade ftw!!

Well we are all just guessing on these types, but they seem to sing a whole lot about science for a couple of NF's. ;) I'm still pretty sure that Flansburgh is an ENTP.

G

garbage

--Brian "Dexter" Holland (vocals/guitar) of The Offspring, believe it or not, has a doctorate in molecular biology and was Valedictorian of his high school class. This guy has to be an NT, and probably some sort of NTJ at that. Best guess: ENTJ.

Makes perfect sense to me.. his lyrics are very direct and forceful. You can hear it in his voice, too.

Bad Religion's Graffin and Pennywise's Lindberg also have to be NT's, probably xNTJ's. The Descendents and many other similar punk bands.. probably the same.

From Graffin's stage performance and lyrics, I'd guess INTJ. His lyrics aren't typically as creative as their other primary songwriter's (Mr. Brett), but they're definitely opinionated and usually more.. well, direct. He's also got a doctorate in zoology and teaches at UCLA.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't know about Ben Folds being INTP but Isaac Brock (from Modest Mouse) definitely is.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type

Paul Banks of Interpol is def. INTP.

Kool Moe Dee, also likely.

(Reznor is ENTP.)

DennisThePenetrator

MBTI Type
INTP
Off the top of my head...

Frank Zappa - INTP
Cedric Bixler-Zavala - INTP
Isaac Brock - INTP
Robert Fripp - INTP
Syd Barrett - INTX
Maynard James Keenan - INTX
Gord Downie - INTJ
Zach de la Rocha - INTJ
Tom Morello - INTJ
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez - INTJ
Steve Vai - ENTP
Neil Peart - ENTP
Weird Al - ENTP

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My dad is an INTP, and he's been a drummer for about 50 years, him being 56. He's a pro. He also plays about 6 string instruments and writes songs, and has about 200 songs memorized for the band he's in.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well we are all just guessing on these types, but they seem to sing a whole lot about science for a couple of NF's. ;) I'm still pretty sure that Flansburgh is an ENTP.

They sing about science in that "isn't-it-cute-and-wonderful-that-we're-teaching-kids-with-our-lyrics?" kind of way. Flans is ridiculously F, I'd say, but at least we can agree he's certainly an Ne dominant.

Off the top of my head...

Frank Zappa - INTP
Cedric Bixler-Zavala - INTP
Isaac Brock - INTP
Robert Fripp - INTP
Syd Barrett - INTX
Maynard James Keenan - INTX
Gord Downie - INTJ
Zach de la Rocha - INTJ
Tom Morello - INTJ
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez - INTJ
Steve Vai - ENTP
Neil Peart - ENTP
Weird Al - ENTP

I read somewhere that Cedric and Omar are both INFJs. I still tend to think INTJ more for Omar, but after considering it, INFJ makes a lot of sense for Cedric.

MJK I used to type as INTJ but now am pretty certain he's INTP. He's way too self-absorbed and obsessed with proving his own brilliance for the goal-oriented INTJ.

Neil Peart gives me an awfully INFP vibe, but I haven't read/watched his personality all that much, so maybe not.

The only one on your list that really gives me pause is Zach de la Rocha. Have you listened to him speak? He's constantly focused on his moral crusades and educating the public about his important causes and so on. I agree on the N and J, but I get a hardcore NFJ vibe from him, probably ENFJ. He's a little angrier than most, but it's there.

From Graffin's stage performance and lyrics, I'd guess INTJ. His lyrics aren't typically as creative as their other primary songwriter's (Mr. Brett), but they're definitely opinionated and usually more.. well, direct. He's also got a doctorate in zoology and teaches at UCLA.

INTJ is probably a good guess for Graffin, but I think INTP is equally likely. He has a pretty apparent Ne penchant for concocting borderline-pedantic wordings and phrases just for their own aesthetic value (INxJs usually don't have time to play this game), and his metaphors and lyrical tricks don't seem as bizarre and seemingly unrelated as those of most Ni dominant lyricists do. This is all speculative, of course, but he sounds pretty Ne+Ti in his mission to turn the world against God! (Bear in mind this is coming from a big BR fan.)

From what I've seen, Ne tends to use metaphors that, if you're clever, you can connect the dots and discern the meaning, because it's based in externalized patterns that are out there just waiting for anyone who notices them to figure it out. Ne desires to be understood and appreciated by others. Ni dominant lyricists, on the other hand, because they don't give a shit if the symbolic connections they've discovered internally make sense to anyone other than themselves, often seem totally out of left field and too vague to really discern specific meaning from--it's all about the symbolism; they'd much rather offer a vague analogy that summarizes the general feeling/thought process that inspired the song than actually make sure to use lyrics that other people can piece together (see Thom Yorke of Radiohead--big time INFJ.)

Ne wants people to guess the particular meaning from the clues provided; Ni just wants to get the message of that song out in whatever form is most internally therapeutic--externalized meaning be damned. Graffin's lyrics are typically very pointedly about particular topics, though he still makes you read between the lines a little to pick it up. (Also, I think Graffin's lyrics are usually more interesting than Gurewitz's...what songs convince you otherwise, out of curiosity?)

I work with an INFJ guitarist/songwriter who always puts the wackiest, most irrelevant titles on his songs, with no apparent relation to the lyrics or song topic (if the topic can even be discerned without explicit explanation from the writer) whatsoever. It's obvious to him, of course, how they symbolize what he wanted, but Ni doesn't care if anyone else can follow or understand the train of connections.

How about Gurewitz, though? xNTP sound right?

DennisThePenetrator

MBTI Type
INTP
The only one on your list that really gives me pause is Zach de la Rocha. Have you listened to him speak? He's constantly focused on his moral crusades and educating the public about his important causes and so on. I agree on the N and J, but I get a hardcore NFJ vibe from him, probably ENFJ. He's a little angrier than most, but it's there.

Yeah you're right. I didn't even realize I put him on the list, I thought I only had Morello. I thought Zack was INFJ but ENFJ makes a lot of sense. Also I didn't realize I put Gord Downie there either who I believe is INFJ.